-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message --- -Caveat Lector- "English newspapers suggested that he had been assassinated by foreign agents. After Diesel's death, the idea of fueling engines with vegetable oil was quickly and quietly swept under the rug"

Book -- vegetable oil fuel--
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/002-2792646-8440000?Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go&mode=books&keyword=Vegetable+Oil+Fuel&tag=sticklecomlip-20

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=175/175-018-01&ID=1658&Num=141

We would drive a Winnebago, equipped with a standard diesel engine, on a cross-country trek fueled by leftover vegetable oil from fast food restaurants. We would turn the McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chickens of America into a chain of low-cost gas stations

A Bit of History

Rudolf Diesel shocked reputable scientists and inventors at the 1900 World's Fair in Paris by pouring peanut oil directly into his newly unveiled diesel engine. While at the time revolutionary, no idea could have been more natural for an innovator who had spent his childhood in the agricultural provinces of France and Germany. Throughout his career, Diesel promoted the benefits of agricultural fuel. In a speech given in Germany in 1911, he declared, "The diesel engine can be fed with vegetable oils and would help considerably in the development of agriculture of the countries which use it."

Two years later, Diesel was on a trip across the English Channel when he disappeared. Mysteriously, his body was never found. The English newspapers suggested that he had been assassinated by foreign agents.

After Diesel's death, the idea of fueling engines with vegetable oil was quickly and quietly swept under the rug. His original designs were modified and diesel engines were made to run on the cheapest, most abundant fuel available: petroleum.

It wasn't until the oil crisis of the 1970s that the idea of using vegetable oil as an engine fuel was again given serious thought. There was, however, a key obstacle: vegetable oil is too thick to use directly in modern diesel engine fuel injection systems.

Not to be dissuaded, university researchers in the United States and Europe set to work on the problem, eventually devising three practicable solutions: 1) mix the vegetable oil with a lighter fuel such as kerosene, 2) heat the vegetable oil before it gets to the fuel injection system, and 3) chemically "crack" the vegetable oil molecule to make it smaller. Since the chemical process used to crack the vegetable oil is simple, reliable and inexpensive, it became the method of choice for producing biodiesel fuel.

Why Biodiesel?

Biodiesel is easily made from vegetable oil, alcohol and a catalyst, through a process called transesterification. The only by-product is glycerin, which can be used to make soap or any one of thousands of other products. Biodiesel can be used in any diesel engine and burns 75% cleaner than petroleum diesel fuel. It can be made from any vegetable oil, including soy, canola, sunflower, hemp, coconut and even used cooking oils or animal fat. It is highly lubricating, which actually makes it better for diesel engines than diesel fuel. But the best thing about biodiesel is that it requires absolutely no engine modifications. To use it, you just pour it into the fuel tank. It even mixes with regular petroleum diesel fuel.

The Veggie Van is Born

Determined to "fill 'er up" at America's fast food restaurants, we embarked on what turned out to be a frustrating search for an inexpensive, small diesel motor home. At first, we found nothing even close to our price range. But just when it had begun to look hopeless, we happened upon an unimpressive, white 1986 Winnebago LeSharo. It has a small, two-liter diesel engine and gets 25 miles per gallon. The perfect model!

Back at campus, we approached nearly every member of the faculty with our idea. Finally, a chemistry professor and a math professor agreed to help us. >From then on, support for the Veggie Van project snowballed. The college gave us a garage to work in. The cafeteria offered an endless supply of used cooking oil. Students volunteered to help us at all hours of the day and night.

We made our first batch of biodiesel in a test tube. Our second batch was made in a blender. Soon, we upgraded to a five-gallon bucket, then to a 15-gallon pot. Using a Volkswagen Jetta as a guinea pig, we set out to discover the secrets of powering a vehicle on vegetable oil. We were determined to get our Veggie Van running on biodiesel by the end of the school year—no matter what the cost to "Gretta, the Greasy Jetta's" engine. For months we experimented, finally succeeding in running the Jetta on up to 80% straight fryer grease for more than 5,000 miles.

When we were confident making biodiesel on a small scale, it was time to up production. My friends and I scavenged boatyards, junkyards, and back yards, turning up a military steam kettle, a tugboat filter, a champion juicer, an ancient diesel engine from a sailboat, some scrap metal and some plumbing parts. From these we fashioned "The Green Grease Machine," a crude biodiesel processor that we mounted onto a trailer, then hitched to the back of the Veggie Van. We were ready to hit the road.

The Veggie Van USA Tour

With the help of students and community volunteers, we turned our Winnebago into a rolling recycling exhibit; art students covered the van with a Van Gogh-esque field of sunflowers. Since we'd be living on the road for a while, we installed a 200-watt solar power system to run our computers, TV, lights and refrigerator. The Veggie Van was visibly transformed, but inside the engine remained the same. The only thing we changed was the fuel we poured into it. But, oh, what a change! We marveled as the exhaust went from a cloud of black, smelly smoke to a clean, french fry-scented puff of air.

---------

"Biodiesel fuels are an alternative to diesel fuel made from vegetable oils. They’re manufactured by removing the triglyceride molecule from vegetable oil through a chemical process. The remaining molecules are similar to those found in diesel fuel...
burning biodiesel generates fewer emissions and is more environmentally sound than burning diesel that’s refined from petroleum...scientists at the Agricultural Research Service have developed a biodiesel fuel produced from soybean soapstock, an abundant but underutilized byproduct of vegetable oil refining...soapstock is a plentiful and relatively inexpensive byproduct of edible oil refining. About 100 million pounds of the soapstock are produced in the United States every year, and it can cost as little as one-tenth or less of the price of refined vegetable oil
"

http://www.google.com/search?q=mustard+seed+diesel
http://www.google.com/search?q=hemp+diesel

http://www.google.com/search?q=beltsville+mustard+seed+diesel
http://www.google.com/search?q=beltsville+hemp+diesel

http://www.google.com/search?q=beltsville+mustard+seed+heating+oil
http://www.google.com/search?q=beltsville+hemp+heating+oil

http://pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/aic-journals/jan97ab.html

[genmod low-acid mustard oil, but how does acid BURN, dewds?]

The inheritance of erucic acid content in Ethiopian mustard

A. Getinet1, G. Rakow2, J. P. Raney2 and R. K. Downey2

1Institute of Agricultural Research, Holetta Research Centre, P.O. Box 2003, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia; 2 Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Saskatoon Research Centre, 107 Science Place Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N OX2

E-mail: Not available

Ethiopian mustard (Brassica carinata A. Braun) is a highly productive oilseed crop in the central highlands of Ethiopia. Cultivars currently in production in Ethiopia produce seed which contains 35 to 40% erucic acid in its oil which is undesirable for human consumption. Zero erucic acid B. carinata has recently been developed. The objective of this study was to investigate the inheritance of erucic acid in progeny of crosses between the high erucic acid cultivars Dodolla and S-67 with the zero erucic acid line C90-14. The erucic acid content of F1 seed born on either the high or low erucic acid parents was intermediate between the parents indicating embryonic control of erucic acid content in B. carinata. Erucic acid contents of backcross seed derived from the backcross to the zero erucic acid parent segregated into three classes with <0.5%, 6-16% and >16% erucic acid at a ratio of 1:2:1 and F2 seed segregated into five classes with a ratio of 1:4:6:4:1. These segregation patterns indicated that erucic acid in B. carinata was controlled by two genes acting in an additive manner with each locus contributing about 10% erucic acid. It was concluded that the B and C genomes of B. carinata each carry one gene for erucic acid synthesis. The knowledge of the inheritance of erucic acid in B. carinata will assist in the development of zero erucic acid B. carinata cultivars.

Key words: Brassica carinata, erucic acid, inheritance

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/search.asp?search=diesel&type=1&page=
http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=064/064-086-01&ID=2721&Num=45
Mercedes-Benz (which supplies much of South America with diesel vehicles) of Brazil has been busily engaged in researching alternative fuels since early in 1973...Mercedes-Benz has been running a mixture of 70% diesel fuel and 30% soybean oil in factorystock engines, with promising results. Another series of tests indicates that many types of domestic vegetable and plant oils-when refinedcan be used directly in diesel engines

Book -- vegetable oil fuel--
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/002-2792646-8440000?Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go&mode=books&keyword=Vegetable+Oil+Fuel&tag=sticklecomlip-20

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here