-Caveat Lector- describes war crimes, torture and violence

also has :
Secret World of U.S. Interrogation
" more than 9,000 people are held by U.S. authorities overseas,
according to Pentagon figures and estimates by intelligence experts, the
vast majority under military control. The detainees have no conventional
legal rights: no access to a lawyer; no chance for an impartial hearing"

CBS to Air U.S. Soldier's Video Diary of Iraq Abuse
"We actually shot two prisoners today. One got shot in the chest for swinging a pole against our people on the feed team. One got shot in the arm. We don't know if the one we shot in the chest is dead yet."

A Failure of Leadership at the Highest Levels
"at least 14 have died in custody in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Army has ruled at least two of those homicides."

fwd from L Moss Sharman - Kids abused in Abu Ghraib, UNICEF fears - U.S. soldiers may have videotaped rape of boy prisoners, NBC reports Geneva (AP) "The United Nations children's agency said today it was "profoundly disturbed" by reports that children may have been abused in prisons in Iraq. "Any mistreatment, sexual abuse, exploitation or torture of children in detention is a violation of international law," UNICEF spokesman Damien Personnaz said.  UNICEF is profoundly disturbed by news reports alleging that children may have been among those abused.''  NBC reported last week that unreleased videotapes, apparently shot by U.S. personnel, showed Iraqi guards at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison raping young boys. British newspapers have reported that children were tortured under interrogation.  Personnaz said UNICEF so far has no independent confirmation of the reports but has decided to speak out nevertheless.  "If the reports are wrong, then we will say so," he said. But this is also a way for us to make sure that it doesn't happen in the future.''  UNICEF stressed that mistreating children breaches the U.N. treaties on children's rights, torture and civil rights, as well as the Geneva Conventions on the conduct of war."  http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1084269897599&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A15981-2004May10?language=printer
Secret World of U.S. Interrogation
Long History of Tactics in Overseas Prisons Is Coming to Light
By Dana Priest and Joe Stephens
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, May 11, 2004; Page A01
Last of three articles

In Afghanistan, the CIA's secret U.S. interrogation center in Kabul is
known as "The Pit," named for its despairing conditions. In Iraq, the most
important prisoners are kept in a huge hangar near the runway at Baghdad
International Airport, say U.S. government officials, counterterrorism
experts and others. In Qatar, U.S. forces have been ferrying some Iraqi
prisoners to a remote jail on the gigantic U.S. air base in the desert. The
Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, where a unit of U.S. soldiers abused prisoners,
is just the largest and suddenly most notorious in a worldwide
constellation of detention centers -- many of them secret and all
off-limits to public scrutiny -- that the U.S. military and CIA haveoperated in the name of counterterrorism or counterinsurgency operations
since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

These prisons and jails are sometimes as small as shipping containers and
as large as the sprawling Guantanamo Bay complex in Cuba. They are part of
an elaborate CIA and military infrastructure whose purpose is to hold
suspected terrorists or insurgents for interrogation and safekeeping while
avoiding U.S. or international court systems, where proceedings and
evidence against the accused would be aired in public. Some are even held
by foreign governments at the informal request of the United States.

"The number of people who have been detained in the Arab world for the sake
of America is much more than in Guantanamo Bay. Really, thousands," said
Najeeb Nuaimi, a former justice minister of Qatar who is representing the
families of dozens of prisoners.....

All told, more than 9,000 people are held by U.S. authorities overseas,
according to Pentagon figures and estimates by intelligence experts, the
vast majority under military control. The detainees have no conventional
legal rights: no access to a lawyer; no chance for an impartial hearing;
and, at least in the case of prisoners held in cellblock 1A at Abu Ghraib,
no apparent guarantee of humane treatment accorded prisoners of war under
the Geneva Conventions or civilians in U.S. jails.....

The CIA's "ghost detainees," as they were called by members of the 800th MP
Brigade, were routinely held by the soldier-guards at Abu Ghraib "without
accounting for them, knowing their identities, or even the reason for their
detention," the report says. These phantom captives were "moved around
within the facility to hide them" from Red Cross teams, a tactic that was
"deceptive, contrary to Army doctrine, and in violation of international law."

http://truthout.org/docs_04/051204AA.shtml
CBS to Air U.S. Soldier's Video Diary of Iraq Abuse
    By Reuters
    May 11, 2004
    WASHINGTON - An American soldier's video diary showing her disdain for Iraqi detainees who died in her charge is to be broadcast by a U.S. network on Wednesday in a further escalation of the prisoner abuse scandal that has shaken the Bush administration and provoked world outrage.....

"I hate it here," she said on the tape. "I want to come home. I want to be a civilian again. We actually shot two prisoners today. One got shot in the chest for swinging a pole against our people on the feed team. One got shot in the arm. We don't know if the one we shot in the chest is dead yet."  In her video, the soldier described the hazards of Camp Bucca. "This is a sand viper," she said. "One bite will kill you in six hours. We've already had two prisoners die of it, but who cares? That's two less for me to worry about."

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/051104C.shtml
    A Failure of Leadership at the Highest Levels
    Army Times     Monday 10 May 2004 ....
In addition to the scores of prisoners who were humiliated and demeaned, at least 14 have died in custody in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Army has ruled at least two of those homicides.
www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.