-Caveat Lector-

Brothers and Sisters!  Important you distribute this far and wide!

******PUNCTUATING OUR SECOND AMENDMENT******

Make it your business to insist on the correct punctuation of our Second
Amendment.

Notwithstanding what we usually see, there is ONLY ONE COMMA in the Second
Amendment.

That comma is between "state" and "the right".

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

This is not nit-picking -- and here is why.

A retired English teacher who herself is not at all partial to the idea of
private ownership of firearms, confided that with the correct punctuation,
it is clear that the right is an individual one.

If we will not let our enemies refer to semi-auto rifles as "assault guns,"
if we will not let them refer to magazines as "clips," we shouldn't let our
enemies mis-punctuate our Second Amendment and thereby claim it means
something other than protection of an individual right of free men and
women.

                                        ---- Bill Kestell,
                                                New Holstein, Wisconsin
Source:  Feedback Column
          of American Guardian (May 1999)
======================================

In my copy of the Booklet, published by the Cato Institute (1998), "The
Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States of
America", on page 43 "Amendment II" reads:
        A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
======================================

Webster's New World Dictionary, Second Concise Edition:  arm n. any weapon:
usually used in plural.
======================================

Shogun-Era Japan
The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their
possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms or other types of arms. The
possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of taxes and
dues, and tends to permit uprising.

                --- Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Shogun of Japan, August 29, 1558.

Bard

Visit me at:
The Center for Exposing Corruption in the Federal Government
http://www.xld.com/public/center/center.htm

Federal Government defined:
....a benefit/subsidy protection racket!