-Caveat Lector-

BreakPoint Commentary - April 26, 1999
  Littleton's Martyrs
  By Charles W. Colson

  It was a test all of us would hope to pass, but none
  of us really wants to take. A masked gunman points
  his weapon at a Christian and asks "Do you believe in
  God?" She knows that if she says "yes," she'll pay
  with her life. But unfaithfulness to her Lord is unthinkable.

  So, with what would be her last words, she calmly
  answers "yes, I believe in God."

  What makes this story remarkable is that the gunman
  was no communist thug, nor was the martyr a Chinese
  pastor.  As you may have guessed, the event I'm
  describing took place last Tuesday in Littleton, Colorado.

  As the Washington Post reported, the two students who
  shot 13 people, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, did not
  choose their victims at random--they were acting out
  of a kalideoscope of ugly prejudices.

  Media coverage has centered on the killers'
  hostility toward racial minorities and athletes, but
  there was another group the pair hated every bit as
  much, if not more: Christians. And, there were plenty
  of them to hate at Columbine High School.  According
  to some accounts eight Christians--four Evangelicals
  and four Catholics--were killed.

  Among them was Cassie Bernall.  And it was Cassie who
  made the dramatic decision I've just described--
  fitting for a person whose favorite movie was
  "Braveheart," in which the hero dies a martyr's death.

  Cassie was a 17-year-old junior with long blond hair,
  hair she wanted to cut off and have made into wigs
  for cancer patients who had lost their hair through
  chemotherapy.  She was active
  in her youth group at Westpool's Community Church and
  was known for carrying a Bible to school.

  Cassie was in the school library reading her Bible when
  the two young killers burst in.  According to witnesses,
  one of the killers pointed his gun at Cassie and asked,
  do you believe in God?"  Cassie paused and then
  answered, "Yes, I believe in God."  "Why?" the gunman
  asked. Cassie did not have a chance to respond; the
  gunman had already shot her dead.

  As her classmate Mickie Cain told Larry King on CNN,
  "She completely stood up for God.  When the killers
  asked her if there was anyone who had faith in
  Christ, she spoke up and they shot her for it."

  Cassie's martyrdom was even more remarkable when you
  consider that just a few years ago she had dabbled in
  the occult, including witchcraft.  She had embraced
  the same darkness and nihilism that drove her killers
  to such despicable acts.  But two years ago, Cassie
  dedicated her life to Christ, and turned her life
  around.  Her friend, Craig Moon, called her a "light
  for Christ."

  Well, this "light for Christ" became a rare American
  martyr of the 20th Century.

  According to the Boston Globe, on the night of her
  death, Cassie's brother Chris found a poem Cassie
  had written just two days prior to her death.

  It read:

  "Now I have given up on everything else
  I have found it to be the only way
  To really know Christ and to experience
  The mighty power that brought
  Him back to life again, and to find
  Out what it means to suffer and to
  Die with him.  So, whatever it takes
  I will be one who lives in the fresh
  Newness of life of those who are
  Alive from the dead."

  The best way all of us can honor Cassie's memory is
  To embrace that same courageous commitment to our
  faith. For example, we should stand up to our kids
  when they want to play violent video games.  We should
  be willing to stand up to community ridicule when we
  oppose access to Internet pornography at the local library.

  For the families of these young martyrs, I can only
  offer deep personal sympathy and the hope that they
  might take strength from the words Jesus spoke to the
  woman who honored Him by pouring ointment on His
  head.  "Wherever this gospel is preached in the whole
  world, what she has done will be told in memory of her"
  (Matthew 26:13).

  "Well done, good and faithful servant. Now enter into
  the joy of your Lord" (Matthew 25:23).

  Copyright (c) 1999 Prison Fellowship Ministries

  "BreakPoint with Chuck Colson" ("BreakPoint") is a
  daily commentary on news and trends from a Christian
  perspective.  Heard on more than 425 radio stations
  nationwide, BreakPoint transcripts are also available
  on the Internet.  If you know of others who would
  enjoy receiving BreakPoint in their E-mail box each
  day, tell them they can sign up on our Web site at
  www.breakpoint.org.  If they do not have access to
  the World Wide Web, please call 1-800-457-6125.

  Copyright notice:  BreakPoint may be copied and re-
  transmitted by electronic mail, and individual copies
  of a particular BreakPoint E-mail transcript may be
  printed, provided that such copying, re-transmission,
  printing, or other use is not for profit or other
  commercial purpose.