http://www.nomsg.com/
Title: National Organization Mobilized to Stop Glutamate

NoMSG

Welcome to the home page for NoMSG, the National Organization Mobilized to Stop Glutamate! The NoMSG mission is to educate consumers regarding the dangers of Monosodium Glutamate and the ways in which it is hidden; to encourage MSG-free products; to support MSG sensitive individuals; and, to promote independent MSG research.

If you have discovered that you or someone you know reacts adversely to MSG, you are not alone. Our conservative estimate is that one-quarter of the world's population reacts adversely to MSG. Please browse through the information below - if you have any further questions, or wish to join, write us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call us at 800-232-8674 (800-BEAT-MSG).

MSG is a Drug and Neurotransmitter Common Reactions
Hidden Sources of MSG Upcoming Conference
MSG in the Media MSG in the Courts
Join NoMSG Books about MSG
Selected References

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

AUXIGRO

We received an E-mail from Adrienne and Jack Samuels warning us of a new agricultural spray used as a "growth enhancer". It contains about 30% MSG. This means that any fresh fruit or vegetable may have residues of MSG in them, including any processed foods containing them, such as baby foods. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved the use of "Auxigro WP Plant Metabolic Primer (Auxigro), February 6, 1998. Jack Samuels has written to the EPA and the producers of Auxigro, Auxein Corporation, Lansing, Michigan, asking them to withdraw this product from the market immediately. But if they only hear from Mr. Samuels that we do not want MSG sprayed on our food, approval will not be rescinded. Please complain to your congressman, farm companies, and especially to Carol Browner, Administrator of the EPA. You can contact her at:

Carol Browner
Assistant Administrator for Prevention, Pesticides, and Toxic Substances
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
401 M Street, S.W.
Washington DC 20460
Phone: (202) 260-2902
Fax: (202) 260-1847
E-mail: c/o Douglas Parsons: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional information concerning this issue, send E-mail to Jack Samuels at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Auxigro may be sprayed by airplane on crops such as snap beans, lettuce, peanuts, tomatoes, and potatoes. The product may also affect ground water and drinking water and ultimately endanger humans, farm animals and wildlife. The EPA's action allows the amount of MSG residue on fruits and vegetables to be unlimited (Sec. 180.1187 Code of Federal Regulations).

Please lend your support if you do not want to be exposed to undeclared amounts of a toxic substance daily!

VOGUE MAGAZINE ARTICLE

NoMSG President, Kathleen Schwartz, is encouraging interested individuals to write letters to the editor of Vogue Magazine regarding the March 99 article written by a food editor. He made attempts at sounding witty and entertaining as he bashed people who claim sensitivity to MSG, as being psychologically troubled. Letters should be intelligently written, showing sound facts or convincing anecdotal evidence. Anger has its place, but give good information, also. This might include A.D.D. medical test results, personal before-and-after MSG stories, medical professional's experiences, etc.

Address your letter to:

Vogue Magazine
Conde Naste Publications
360 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Or click on the following link : Vogue Editors

MSG is a Drug and Neurotransmitter

The ever expanding use of MSG causes great concern in the medical profession because it stimulates brain cell activity. MSG "tricks" your brain into thinking the food you are eating tastes good. Manufacturers can use inferior ingredients and thus make the product seem tastier. Inferior products and higher profits prevail at the expense of consumer health. MSG intolerance is not an allergic reaction, but a powerful drug reaction.

Common Reactions

Headaches, migraines, stomach upset, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, asthma attacks, shortness of breath, anxiety or panic attacks, heart palpitations, partial paralysis, "heart attack-like symptoms," balance difficulties, mental confusion, mood swings, behavioral disorders (especially in children and teens), allergy-type symptoms, skin rashes, runny nose, bags under the eyes, flushing, mouth lesions, depression, and more.

Hidden Sources of MSG

MSG in its pure form must be labeled. Food manufacturers, aware that consumers are wise to "monosodium glutamate," are now adding enormous amounts to our foods under devious and difficult names. When it is added as an ingredient of another substance it need not be listed on the label. The earlier these substances appear on a list of ingredients, the more likely they are to contain MSG.

Definite Sources of MSG
  • Hydrolyzed Protein
  • Sodium Caseinate or Calcium Caseinate
  • Autolyzed Yeast or Yeast Extract
  • Gelatin

Possible sources of MSG

  • Textured Protein
  • Carrageenan or Vegetable Gum
  • Seasonings or Spices
  • Flavorings or Natural Flavorings
  • Chicken, Beef, Pork, Smoke Flavorings
  • Bouillon, Broth or Stock
  • Barley Malt, Malt Extract, Malt Flavoring
  • Whey Protein, Whey Protein Isolate or Concentrate
  • Soy Protein, Soy Protein Isolate or Concentrate
  • Soy Sauce or Extract

This list is periodically updated by the networking membership of NOMSG. It is not all inclusive because new labeling deceptions are invented to confound the consumer. We can provide an expanded list for those who are extremely sensitive. We also suggest elimination of aspartame (Nutrasweet) from the diet, as many people who react to one, also react to the other.

Upcoming Conference

There will not be a conference held this year. Instead, resources and energy will be focused on letters and pamphlets mailed to physicians. The next mailing will be an informative letter by a physician on the board sent to cardiologists around the country. NoMSG will work hard to reach key people related to the MSG issue as part of the ongoing effort to inform and educate.

Notes from the 5th Annual Conference are here!

MSG in the Media

On June 20 the CBN program The 700 Club featured a live interview with Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon and author of Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills. Their telephone response was so overwhelming that they re-aired the piece on July 4. If you would like to hear Dr. Blaylock in Real Audio. Click here. Also, Lifestyle Magazine (another television program) has been re-aired an interview with our President, Kathleen Schwartz and Dr. Blaylock about MSG and the health crisis it's created. We've received a tremendous amount of interest following these exposures.

MSG in the Courts

We've been waiting months to hear the outcome of Livingston v. Marie Callender's lawsuit. To refresh your memories, David Livingston asked his waitress if the soup contained MSG. She said it did not. Subsequently, David suffered a severe asthma attack which led to a cardiac arrest. The trial began in Los Angeles on June 30, and the jury returned their verdict on July 3, 1997.

Unfortunately, all did not go as planned. It appears that the Judge decided to cut short the case, not allowing Mr. Livingston an expert witness on causation, or the admission of federal documents confirming asthma triggered by MSG, as well as many other appealable issues. Upon recognition that this was not a winning situation, Mr. Livingston's attorney, Howard Goldstein, decided to put on a minimal case, "a dry run" so to speak, and take the unfair rulings to the Court of Appeals. It is estimated that the case now will be reheard next summer.

Join NOMSG

Question: How will you benefit from joining NoMSG?

Answer: Your $25.00 membership fee gets you four NoMSG Messenger publications per year and several other informative mailings throughout the year. You will be able to learn what others are doing to inform the public locally and nationally. The newsletter contains personal success stories, survival tips, recipes, latest helpful information, editorials, and a network of fellow sufferers to relate with. Also, your fees and any donations will be used to develope and print mailings to groups related to the MSG effort. Doctors who are members have been and are presently writing letters that we mail out by the thousands to fellow physicians. Targeted groups have been and will be PTA boards, HMOs, medical directors, allergists, neurologists, pediatricians, and pain and migraine support groups. In fact, we have postponed conferences for awhile to be able to better utilize funds and energy to educate and disseminate information. Most of our successes have come from these efforts.

We have larger dreams and goals for NoMSG. But they take considerable amounts of money. We're constantly asked why we don't do our own double blind tests. That type of research costs many thousands of dollars.

We have celebrities willing to do public service announcements, but they expect payment for their time. We have been invited to participate in a 3 to 4 minute segment of the TV show, "Healthy Solutions" with Mariette Hartley, but there is a $32,000 pre-production fee that covers research, scheduling, scripting, and taping. Finding sponsors for that kind of show and fee is difficult.

But we are making great strides. Kay Wanke, who mans our hotline, reports that calls from doctors are up dramatically over last year. Physicians all over the country are noticing correlations of MSG ingestion to their patients' fibromyalgia, asthma, epileptic and other seizures, migraines, stomach disorders, and cardio and neurological problems. We hear from them and patients.

In the works is a pamphlet geared to reach children and ultimately parents. Volunteer writers and editors are donating time and talent, but the pamphlets will also take money to print and disseminate. Do we have any volunteer illustrators out there for this project?

Articles have appeared in national magazines about MSG. The 1998 September "Vegetarian Times" ran one such article and the authors gave our hotline number and address for references. The July 1997 issue of "The Journal of The American Dietetic Association" ran an article written by three doctors who linked MSG to a form of childhood epilepsy. Another doctor tried to refute their findings in the November 1998 issue (letters to the editor). However, the authors' reply was thorough and backed up by six research references.

We are moving forward. We have thrown the stone into the water and the ripples are ever-widening. Join MSG, donate time if you have it to write your legislators, start your own support groups (we can help you get started), and help widen the ripple.

If you're ready to join now, click here for a membership form!

Need more information? Write us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call us at 1-800-232-8674 (800-BEAT-MSG).