-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: William Hugh Tunstall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Yugoslav war.  His stated reason was that Milosevic was a tyrant and
> presented a threat to the stability of Europe.  But I found it odd that a
> champion of "liberty" would be supporting the indiscriminate bombing of
> civilian targets and what has to be a destabilization of central Europe
> for years to come.  But why exactly must Yugoslavia be crushed by NATO and
> the US-EU alliance?  I don't think it has anything to do with concern
> for Milosevic's atrocities.  We're not particularly concerned about
> authoritarian regimes in other parts of the world... so, why Yugoslavia?

Let's see, a dozen or so civilian hits [bridges, hospitals, houses etc]
out of the tens of thousands of sorties flown, is "indiscriminate bombing
of civilian targets"??  If the intention was to target civilians, then
NATO has really fucked up, eh?  I mean, if *I* wanted to bomb civilians,
I'd make sure every Serb town was just a smoking pile of rubble by now.
NATO could re-create the Dresden fire-bombing pretty easily, with Beograd
as the cinder.  Has that happened yet?

Why Yugoslavia, and not similar [or worse] genocides around the world?
How about: because Yugoslavia is in Europe; because Yugoslavia is where
the World War of this century started [phase II was just a continuation
of phase I, after re-arming]; because Yugoslav disorders threaten to
suck-in the surrounding countries: Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania,
Russia, Hungary, Austria, Italy?  Could these be valid factors?

I think bombing for democracy, killing for peace, is like fucking for
virginity.  I think the NATO campaign has been a major fuck-up.  The
Serb regime fronted by Milosevic should have been taken out years ago,
by other means.  The oligarchs that support him should have had their
foreign accounts frozen, their foreign properties seized.  The regime
should have been destabilized and discredited, like the op against
Allende in Chile.  Much could have been done, short of taking military
action.  By being forced into a position where bombing was the only
seeming option, NATO strategists were especially stupid.  Which just
goes to show that a committee has 19 heads and no brains, eh?  If
there's an anti-Serb conspiracy, it's pretty incompetent.