-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990616b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: No noisy cats were harmed to produce this bulletin, but we were tempted.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# No bug in mobster's buttocks. WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) - There's no bug in
  a reputed mobster's buttocks, the US gov't says. For years, Vincent "Gigi
  Portalla" Marino claims, a federal drug agent had told him that a tracking
  device was inserted in Marino's tushie during surgery to remove a bullet.
  This week a federal judge ordered authorities to say whether they did, in
  fact, implant such a device. "We can confirm that the US Drug Enforcement
  Administration did not implant a tracking device in... Marino's buttocks.
  But we cannot speak, however, for any extraterrestrial beings." Cop-out.
  See http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559948077-720

: Are you bugged? Were you implanted by aliens, gov't/corporate agents, me?
Are you being tracked? Does this constrain your movements? Are you careful?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# WHO calls for passive smoking protection. The World Health Org. wants more
  measures to protect children from the effects of cigarette smoking by
  adults. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_370000/370059.stm

# 'Car fumes kill more than crashes'. (BBC) Emissions from car exhausts
  cause more deaths than road accidents, according to WHO research. Phew.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_369000/369169.stm

: Would you rather be damaged by emissions from automobiles, smokers, cows,
petrochemical plants, spacecraft, farting Reptilioids or Republicans, or me?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Scientists develop cocaine vaccine. (BBC) Scientists have developed a
  vaccine which they believe could help cocaine users kick the habit by
  making them immune to the effects of the drug. But what's the fun of
  that? http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_370000/370663.stm

# Contaminated Coke threatens UK. (BBC) Coca-Cola drinks banned by 3 Europe-
  an states in the latest health scare may have reached British shelves, the
  firm fears. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_370000/370517.stm

: Do you prefer your coca straight, or with sugar and flavorings? Would you
like to be contaminated? Does anything that doesnt kill you, strengthen you?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Renovation underway at Columbine. LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) Two months after 2
teen-age gunmen opened fire at Columbine High School, the bullet holes have
been plastered, broken glass repaired, and bloodstained carpet stripped from
the hallways. The repairs are part of a massive renovation project aimed at
erasing memories of the deadly rampage that left 15 dead and 23 wounded.
Those who visited the site shortly after the massacre said it looked like a
war zone. http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559950652-753

: Which mass-murder site would you most like to redecorate? Has the evidence
of mind-control devices been destroyed? Should the site be preserved intact?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# 'Medieval' diseases on the comeback. (BBC) Cholera & typhoid are emerging
again as health threats on the fringes of Europe because of poor hygiene and
sanitation. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_370000/370038.stm

# 'Kosovo graves could poison water supplies'. (BBC) Mass graves around
Kosovo villages could cause illness by polluting local water supplies, says
the WHO. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_369000/369639.stm

: What's your favorite medieval disease? Is contracting a medieval disease
like journeying back in time? Is death the ultimate trip? Is typhoid groovy?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Church calls for Milosevic to quit. PRISTINA, Yugoslavia (AP)  Dismayed by
the streams of Serb troops and civilians speeding out of Kosovo, the Serbian
Orthodox Church told President Slobodan Milosevic to resign for the sake of
the people. http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559949098-d7b

: If you're a dictator and your church leaders call for your resignation,
would you heed them, expel them, ignore them, kill them, bribe them, pray?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# S. Baptists to recruit in cities. ATLANTA (AP) - The president of the
  Southern Baptists called on members of the nation's largest Protestant
  sect to recruit in inner cities and shun "touchy-touchy feely-feely"
  worship and creative Biblical interpretation. "Will you weep before God
  until God gives us the souls of the cities?" he asked? Then he cried like
  a baby: http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559949393-bea

: Do you prefer touchy-touchy feely-feely worship; or harsh, stern, punitive
floggings; or total immersion in icewater for extended periods; or spiders?
Is creative biblical interpretation necessary to avoid incoherence? Why not?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# New computer virus could linger. NEW YORK (AP) - The latest outbreak of a
computer virus began easing as infected companies carefully reconnected e-
mail and file-sharing links the bug used to spread. But experts warned that
due to its crafty design, the Worm.Explore.Zip virus could remain a serious
risk for weeks. www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559948970-51d

: Can you design a virus that will infect all networked computers and crash
the global economy? Would you do it for fun, profit, revenge, or conquest?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiLinks:

# Strong earthquake rocks Mexico - gods are angry, must be appeased:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559951108-aba
# Storms sweep Mexico, 12 dead - those gods are *really* pissed, eh?
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559949552-9c6

# Siberian resources may be tapped - EARTH FIRST, WE'LL STRIPMINE THE OTHER
  PLANETS LATER: www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559947886-20b
# Testosterone-laced skin patch boosts sex drive of women losing libido from
  hysterectomies: www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559949759-d18

@ The Underworlds: Battles Beneath the Earth - Casualties of a Cosmic War -
  Caverns, Dungeons and Labyrinths - Underground Empire - Invasion of the
  Mind Wreckers: www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/6583/under.html

  "It was not the first time I had driven a man mad (though some had
  admittedly gotten no further than a state of mild irritability, and
  some remained merely peckish) by removing my cap to unleash a torrent
  of sable hair across my ivory shoulders (lest there be any confusion,
  my own hair, emerging in the usual way, from my scalp). --Tori Twersky

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * ICQ# 19633976 *
email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SkeptiChat archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* UFO/ET/PSI * Conspiracy * Faith * Science * Fringe * Mind-Control *