-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 6/27/99 9:24:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> That's a cop-out.  You ARE responsible.  If you don't like the
>  'anointed candidates then pick a party and WORK for an alter-
>  native.  Bush-ido and al-Gor may have endorsements and cash, but
>  neither has any delegates yet, and primaries are unruly affairs.
>  Numerous 'leading' candidates have fallen by the wayside in the
>  last few decades.  Think, Gary Hart.  Bush-ido is particularly
>  vulnerable - spread the word about his now-imprisoned pimp/pusher
>  and his endorsements may evaporate.  If you think Pat's the man,
>  then WORK hard to convince the electorate that he's needed.  If
>  you're a Demo who can't stomach al-Gor, bust your ass for Bradley.
>
>  Every event is the product of the sum-over-time of all preceding
>  events; ie, everything we do, shapes the future.  If you're active
>  politically, you may or may not prevail, but at least you'll have
>  shaped the outcome; if you remain politically inactive, someone
>  ELSE does that shaping for you.  Are you part of the conspiracy
>  of lethargy?  Fine - gimmee that ballot, I'll cast if FOR you.
>
>    Ric "vote early, vote often" Carter

You may feel it is a cop out, but it is not.  Yes, we do have the "right" to
vote, and we do supposedly decide who runs for, and who wins public office,
but those rights are in name only and have no real force.  There is a
conspiracy here and it involves inuring in us a sense of lethargy because it
is what is desired.  All of our decisions made for us, and we don't care, in
fact we will eventually come to prefer it that way.  The fact remains that in
the system that we now live in there is little hope of getting anyone other
than the front-runners put into office. We have manipulated polls which
influence voting (or not voting), we have the media which floods us with
images and (dis-?)information and a system which virtually assures us of the
"chosen" people getting into the spotlight and the anointed one gaining that
office.  If it ever does happen that one of the peripheral candidates who
really is good for the country and the people ever did get into the running
there is always vote fraud (remember Votescam?) and unfortunate "accidents"
or embarrassing accusations that suddenly "turn up" (like Gary Hart).  The
media deliberately suppresses the bad about the "chosen one" and touts all
the foibles of the others.  By all means vote, and try and do what is right
for you, but let's be realistic here and accept the fact that there is next
to no hope of anything changing.
Teo1000