http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/20430.html
<A HREF="http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/20430.html">Culture
News from Wired News
</A>
-----
Private Lives Laid Bare on Net
by James Glave
12:25 p.m.  25.Jun.99.PDT
Voices drift through the ether, over cell phones, from somewhere in
Vancouver, British Columbia.
In a heavy working-class Canadian accent, a man says good morning to his
girlfriend, who is half asleep. She asks him if there's any coffee left.

Neither is aware that a hacker known only as DwC is capturing their
words with a Bearcat BC200XLT scanner, and netcasting their intimate
chat live onto the Internet with Shoutcast, a streaming MP3 service.

See also: Cell-Phone Calls Streamed on Net

"I think it is an intrusion," said David Jones, director of Electronic
Frontier Canada, a group that seeks to preserve free expression in the
digital age.

Because the man and his girlfriend are using older cellular phones that
transmit over radio frequencies without encryption, the conversation can
be easily intercepted. Normally such calls can only be heard by someone
using a modified scanner, but DwC has taken their conversations to a
wider audience all over the world.

"[The callers] are using out-of-date technology [and the hacker is]
broadcasting it like a radio program," said Jones. "But it is not a
radio program. It is a private conversation."

And that could land the anonymous netcaster in jail.

Section 184.5 of The Criminal Code of Canada states that anyone found
guilty of intercepting cellular phone calls "maliciously or for gain"
can be sentenced to a maximum of five years in prison.

Jones said that while Section 183 says that calls made on analog cell
phones, or via "radio-based telephone communication" are not considered
a "private communication," DwC may still be violating the law under
Section 184 by using the intercepted conversations maliciously.

Neither the Vancouver Police Department nor the Royal Canadian Mounted
Police could be reached for comment. British Columbia has an Office of
the Information and Privacy Commissioner, but that department only
oversees the privacy of public bodies, and not individuals.

AOL deleted the cellphone Shoutcast channel on Friday.

"We removed the listing from the directory," said AOL spokeswoman Tricia
Primrose. "When something [like this] comes to our attention we want to
act responsibly and swifty to remove it if we think that is appropriate.
In this case, we did."

The conversations are private, but mundane -- DwC's digital sieve
catches the tedium of everyday life. One person gripes about why his
insurance won't cover stolen scuba gear. A man on his way to work chats
with his sleepy girlfriend. Then there's restaurant reservations, drug
deals, someone complaining about her bowel obstruction.

Some are intimate, others are disturbing.

"He was having financial problems and he hung himself in his garage
yesterday," said one voice.

"How old was he?"

"Fortyish."

While the chatter runs in the background, a group of streaming MP3
enthusiasts listens in on an Internet Relay Chat channel.

The cyber peanut gallery at times creates a bizarre interplay between
reality and the group of technically sophisticated voyeurs. As a woman
on a technical support cell call coaches a friend on how to plug in her
keyboard, the voyeurs in the channel chime in with their own smart-aleck
advice. Only they can hear it.

One young audiophile said he couldn't resist the voyeuristic thrill.

"I think he's trying to prove that we can't be ignorant to the people
listening to the scanners," said the chatter, who described himself as
an 18-year-old high school student from Toronto.

"It's like it's in the air: You can't stop the waves from going through
your body; why not listen to it?"

For David Jones, the answer is to junk analog cell phones in favor of
more secure digital PCS phones.

"We should all have digital cell phones that have strong crypto. It
wouldn't matter if we are broadcasting encrypted voice because it would
be indecipherable.

"Strong crypto keeps out the cops, it keeps out the reporters, and it
keeps out this punk in Vancouver who is getting his jollies."

Related Wired Links:
House OKs Wireless Privacy Bill
25.Feb.99
Bill Restricts Wireless Wiretaps
11.Feb.99
You Make Me Want to Shoutcast
12.Jan.99

Copyright © 1994-99 Wired Digital Inc. All rights reserved.
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,