-Caveat Lector-

This excerpt from EIR's briefing which I recently posted:

July 5 (EIRNS)--MIDWEST RACIST SHOOTER BELONGED TO A GROUP
SPAWNED BY THE CANADIAN SECRET SERVICE. The latest saga of "blind
terrorism" may have been a real blunder, in that the BAC murderers pulling
the
strings have left a blatant trail to themselves.
     A man identified by the FBI as Benjamin Nathaniel Smith,
suspected of killing a black man and a Korean-American, and
wounding orthodox Jews, had shot himself to death while being
chased by police. (Radio reports said Smith supposedly shot
himself three times.) Smith's shooting episodes began Friday,
July 2 in Chicago and ended Sunday with Smith's death in Salem,
Illinois.
     The Associated Press and other news agencies said Smith was
a member of the "World Church of the Creator" -- a racist group
brazenly manipulated, and in effect re-created, by the Canadian
Secret Intelligence Service (CSIS), Canada's domestic
intelligence agency. Canada's intelligence services report
directly to Britain's secret services and to Queen Elizabeth II.
     A July 5 Reuters wire said, "Smith was formerly a student at
Indiana University in Bloomington and until recently passed out
hate-filled literature on or near the campus for the East Peoria,
Illinois-based World Church of the Creator." Sometime before his
terrorist attack this past weekend, Smith had been "talked to" by
the Bloomington police about his activities on behalf of the
"Church," according to Bloomington Police Captain Bill Parker.
     The "Church of the Creator" is a sub-entity of the Heritage
Front, Canada's main organization of neo-Nazis. Heritage Front
burst into the headlines in Canada in 1994 when it was revealed
that Grant Bristow, an informant paid a $50,000 yearly stipend by
the CSIS, founded and funded the Heritage Front, and led it into
violence.
     In one infamous incident, a computer containing names of
members of the "Church of the Creator" and the Heritage Front was
stolen from the "Church." According to an affidavit by Heritage
Front leader Wolfgange Droege, CSIS agent Grant Bristow told
"Church" security director Eric Fisher that a certain member had
stolen the computer. Fisher, a Canadian airborne special forces
veteran, forcibly detained and beat up Bristow's suspect. After
the victim, Tryone Mason, went to the police and Fisher was
charged with kidnapping and assault, Bristow warned Mason to drop
the charges, according to Mason's affidavit.
     "Church of the Creator" is said to have been founded
originally in the early 1970s by one Ben Klassen, who grew up in
Canada but moved to the U.S. and became a Florida state
legislator. During 1992, South African police spies revealed they
had been ordered to join and use the "Church" for recruits in an
undercover war against the African National Congress. In the
U.S., the Southern Poverty Law Center filed suit against the
"Church," driving it towards bankruptcy and the 1993 suicide of
founder Klassen. The Canadian secret service and army uses of the
group, of which we have record, occurred during this chaotic and
increadingly leaderless period of the "Church"; the reorganized
"Church" had become an "affiliate" of the Heritage Front.
     After the Toronto {Sun} and {Globe and Mail} broke the story
that Grant Bristow had "co-founded" the Heritage Front, Canada's
Security Intelligence Review Committee held hearings on the
Heritage Front affair. This official British Commonwealth review
body mildly criticized Bristow and the CSIS, but praised the CSIS
for maintaining "active" agents in racist groups -- supposedly to
avert racism and violence.
     The nominal leader of the Heritage Front, Wolfgang Droege,
immigrated to Canada as a teenager from Germany in 1963. Droege
went to jail for his part in a 1981 secret-services-backed scheme
of Canadian and U.S. racist mercenaries to overthrow the
government of the Caribbean island of Dominica. After another
U.S. term for cocaine trafficking, Droege returned to Canada and
was asked by CSIS agent Bristow to create Heritage Front using
Droege's name.
     In an April 26, 1996 affidavit, Droege describes Bristow's
role in funding Droege personally, and funding the creation and
development of the Heritage Front, funding its publicity, running
the provocations and harrassment against leftist anti-racist
groups, funding and personally running all aspects of its
outreach to the U.S. and other countries, and running its legal
protection from the Canadian authorities. For an example on the
legal front, observers were astonished by the 30-day sentence
offered by Canadian prosecutors as a punishment for "Church of
the Creator" security director Eric Fisher in the
Bristow-instigated kidnapping.
     Perhaps not surprisingly, the B'nai B'rith, parent of the
FBI-affiliated Anti-Defamation League, praised the CSIS for
Bristow's role. The B'Nai B'rith stance stood out in contrast to
other Jewish groups' reaction to the affair.
     Hal Joffe, a spokesman for the Canadian Jewish Congress,
said in 1994 that he was angry that taxpayer dollars had possibly
been used to build the Heritage Front. "Essentially, I have paid
for the development of an organization bent on my demise," Mr.
Joffe said.
     But Frank Dimant, a B'nai B'rith Canada spokesman, praised
CSIS for placing an informant who "had his finger on the pulse"
of the Heritage Front, on the grounds that "information" he
obtained could be used against the group in a trial. [ahc]