-Caveat Lector-

sorry, A., it wasn't my intention to slander the south.  My North
Carolinian grandfather would never forgive me.  You're absolutely right.
There are many fine and decent people who live in the south...and I've had
the good fortune to get to know them... from sweet old grandmothers....
poor people who might not be materially rich, but they're rich in spirit
and humanity.

My father is buried in Cullman, Alabama...and my mother comes from Graves
County, Kentucky... so you could say that I have quite a few ties with the
south.

And as far as rudeness, discourtesy and barbaric behavior
goes....unfortunately, nowadays, one can find that in every state.  People
feel disconnected from one another.... and perhaps, if they had decent
jobs and a sense of hope in their lives, they wouldn't become so twisted
up inside with hate.

Speaking of the south, I remember that whenever I had car trouble, it was
always seemed to be the poorest of folks who would stop to give me a hand.
And for a short time, when I was attending the local university down
there, I was driving an old clunker down the country roads... when it
would occasionally break down, I couldn't count the times that a poor
country person would stop to ask me if he could be of help.  Just thinking
of it brings tears to my eyes...because it seems that it's always the good
people of this world who live in such damned poverty.  The man who helped
me with my car had a car full of kids in the back who were wearing old
tattered clothes... No. There are many, many good and decent men and women
in the south...

I'll never forget the little old Granny who lived next door to us, who had
spent her life working at the textile mill in town.  We adopted her into
our family...and I remember the many afternoons we would spend, listening
to granny tell her stories, while she knitted or worked on her quilts.
How I loved that little old lady!