-Caveat Lector-

********************
this is not done but I have homework and
a test to prep for, will be posting it
"probably" next week on my web site
under the title in the subject line.
**********************

GM Food and Sanctions 19 July 99

What I wonder is since it takes 3 years to become organic
where will most American farmers be if it is not just GM foods
that go down the drain but the use of chemicals for plants.
Also what if -say- a certain chemical gets highlighted as
being detrimental, and all crops that have been grown with
this are blacklisted.  Then say the crop is grapes, that
could be a lot of bottles of wine - in the future.  What would
this do to France or to the Napa Valley in Calf.?
Consider things that are processed to concentrate as
certain traits or items that are cultured

Olive Oil (Olives)
perfumes (flowers - were the animals fed chemicals?)
Jack Daniels (grain)
Chivas Regal (grain)
Wine (grapes - fruit)
Cheese (milk)
Beer (grain)

Some of these items have a long shelf life
and would have to be recalled if that were
to happen.  Organics, support of the family farm
and Non Corporation farms
are the way things are going.  Yet with some farmers
already past the start up three year long certification where
will that leave the other farmers?  Out in the cold, would
they be able to keep their farms?

With the Dioxin (poisoning) scare in Europe and the
fact that Europe is beginning to test for Dioxins - what
will this do to the farmers that are "organic" but have
used and excess amount of chemicals and this shows
up in their produce?

Who will keep their farms in the future?

Below are some current articles that I am using.
There are more citations on
http://freeweb.digiweb.com/science_fiction/ThePiedPiper/bacteria.htm

1)    <a href="#1">1</a>
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/the_economy/newsid_398000/398526.stm
Monday, July 19, 1999 Published at 21:33 GMT 22:33 UK
            US hits EU, spares UK in
             beef war
             Where's the beef? If it's hormone-treated, not on EU dinner tables
2)  <a href="#2">2</a>
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_397000/397453.stm
Sunday, July 18, 1999 Published at 08:12 GMT 09:12 UK
            UK Politics
             Organic funding under
             scrutiny
             Concern about GM crops has caused an increase in demand for
             organic food
3) <a href="#3">3</a>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_394000/394301.stm
Wednesday, July 14, 1999 Published at 13:28 GMT 14:28 UK
        Sci/Tech
             US farmers fear GM crop
             fallout
             US farmers are worried about consumer opposition to GM crops
4)   <a href="#4">4</a>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_393000/393949.stm
Wednesday, July 14, 1999 Published at 12:25 GMT 13:25 UK
            Sci/Tech
             US to label GM foods
             US farmers have taken to GM crops in a big way

1) <a name="1"></a>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/the_economy/newsid_398000/398526.stm
Monday, July 19, 1999 Published at 21:33 GMT 22:33 UK

             Business: The Economy

             US hits EU, spares UK in
             beef war

             Where's the beef? If it's hormone-treated, not on EU dinner tables

             The United States has published a list of EU products
             that will be hit by 100% punitive tariffs to retaliate for the
             European import ban on its hormone-treated beef.

                            Chocolate, pork, onions and truffles
                            are among the goods on the
                            $116.8m blacklist, but UK exporters
                            escape the wrath from Washington.
                            They are specifically excluded from
                            the list because the London
                            government consistently argued
             against the beef ban.

             All the 14 other EU members will see some of their
             exporters hit, with France, Germany, Denmark and Italy
             singled out for particularly painful import duties.

                           The sanctions will come into effect on
                           29 July.

                           The European Union has banned the
                           beef, because its scientists are
                           worried that hormone-treated meat
                           carries health risks, possibly causing
             cancer and triggering reproductive disorders in men.

             US scientists and the World Trade Organisation (WTO)
             dispute this.

             The United States has already imposed 100% tariffs on
             European imports worth $194.2m in a dispute involving
             trade barriers imposed on US banana companies
             producing in South and Central America.

             Legal sanctions

             The trade sanctions had been approved by the WTO,
             which ruled that the EU ban had cost US farmers about
             $117m.

             Canada was also given the right to retaliate, with
             damage to farmers estimated to be about $7m.

             US officials and farmers representatives had originally
             demanded penalties worth more than $900m.

             Reacting to the sanctions, Franz Fischler, the EU's
             Agriculture Commissioner, said: "My reaction to this is
             deep regret. I thought up to now that the US wanted to
             expand trade, not restrict it."

             The European Union has repeatedly offered to
             compensate US farmers for their losses.

             Acting EU Trade Commissioner Sir Leon Brittan said
             that compensation would be "a more constructive
             approach than these sanctions".

             However, this approach has been rejected by
             Washington. The US government believes that only
             punitive tariffs can force the EU to open its market to
             hormone-treated beef.

             US Special Trade Negotiator Peter Scher said earlier
             this month that the move's "main objective" would be to
             "maximise our leverage over the EU".

             According to US officials, the list now published is
             designed to inflict the most economic damage on
             France, Germany, Italy and Denmark, as they believe
             that those nations hold the key to overturning the beef
             ban.

             Cancer worries

             The European Union has blocked the import of beef
             treated with certain artificial and natural growth
             hormones, because of health worries.

             The WTO, however, agrees with US scientists who say
             the beef is risk-free.

             Many farmers in North America use a range of six
             artificial and natural growth hormones, that they implant
             in their cattle or add to their feed, to boost meat yields.
             The extra hormones make cattle grow muscle faster
             than untreated animals.

             The dispute over beef imports has dragged on for more
             than a decade.

             Selective targetting

             From all EU countries, 14 will be hit by the beef war
             tariffs. Only the UK, which has argued in favour of lifting
             the ban, will be exempt.

             Items from all 14 countries hit by tariffs

                  frozen and fresh meat from bovine animals
                  fresh, chilled or frozen pork carcasses and
                  half-carcasses
                  fresh, chilled or frozen pork hams and shoulders,
                  and cuts thereof
                  Roquefort cheese
                  onions
                  truffles
                  dried carrots
                  goose liver, prepared or preserved
                  rusks, toasted bread and similar toasted products
                  fruit juice, concentrated and non-concentrated
                  roasted chicory and other roasted coffee
                  substitutes
                  prepared mustard

             The US will also impose tariffs on
              prepared or preserved tomatoes
             from France, Germany and Italy.

             Products specifically from France and Germany to face
             tariffs include

                  animal guts, bladders and stomachs (other than
                  fish)
                  soups and broths
                  yarn (other than sewing thread) containing 85% or
                  more of artificial staple fibres

             From France, the following products will face tariffs:

                  fatty substances derived from wool grease
                  chocolate and other cocoa preparations
                  lingonberry and raspberry jams
                  hams, shoulders and cuts thereof, with bone in
                  products suitable for use as glues or adhesives.

             Meat deal

             Ironically, European Union agriculture ministers on
             Monday approved a long-awaited meat standards pact
             with the United States, which was aimed at easing
             trans-atlantic tensions.

             The "veterinary equivalency" agreement will set up a
             framework for solving disputes and provide for the mutual
             recognition of animal health rules.

             However, it will not help in the current trade war over
             hormone-treated beef.

2) <a name="2"></a>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_397000/397453.stm
Sunday, July 18, 1999 Published at 08:12 GMT 09:12 UK

             UK Politics

             Organic funding under
             scrutiny

             Concern about GM crops has caused an increase in demand for
             organic food

             The government is to review the amount of money it puts
             into the organic food industry after the backlash against
             genetically-modified (GM) foods and other safety scares.

             Countryside Minister Elliot Morley said the review could
             result in more novernment financial support for organic
             food producers.

                            The government currently hands out
                            £6.5m a year to farmers to help
                            them to convert to organic methods,
                            which usually takes about three
                            years.

                            Mr Morley, in an interview with
             BBC1's Countryfile programme said: "I think at the
             moment the expansion of the organic sector is very
             much in line with market demand and indeed it's been
             going very strongly.

                           "So strongly that we will be reviewing
                           the amount of support we put into the
                           organic sector and if we think that
                           support is not right, if we think that
                           demand is stronger than we thought,
                           we will take appropriate action to
             adjust that."

             Organic demand grows

             The message of support for organic farmers and those
             wanting to switch to organic methods comes at a time
             when Britain's major supermarkets are increasing their
             organic product lines, and organic consumption is up by
             about 40%.

             Anti-GM and environmental campaigners are pressing
             the Government to hit a target of 10% of all food being
             organic by 2005.

             Baroness Thornton of the British Retail Consortium,
             representing 90% of all UK retailers, said: "The
             supermarkets would love to have more organic foods.
             The demand is there and what the supermarkets want to
             do is work with farmers to reduce the production costs
             and that will reduce costs and increase the availability."

             Organic food production in the UK still only accounts for
             1% of all food production but is currently worth about
             £400m a year while 75% of organic food sold in the UK
             is imported.

             'Long overdue'

             Adrian Bebb, food campaigner at Friends of the Earth,
             said: "Increased government backing for organic farming
             is long overdue. But it will mean little if the government
             allows the movement to be destroyed by pollution from
             GM crops. We can move towards organic food or further
             down the dangerous road to intensive chemical farming,
             but we can't do both."

             A Ministry of Agriculture spokeswoman said later that
             the present financial aid package for farmers converting
             to organic had only been in place for three months after
             a review of the previous system.

             She said: "There are no plans at the present time to
             undertake a review of the financial assistance provided to
             the organic farming sector, but as Mr Morley has said,
             the government would of course reassess the situation if
             the circumstances changed."
3) <a name="3"></a>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_394000/394301.stm
Wednesday, July 14, 1999 Published at 13:28 GMT 14:28 UK

             Sci/Tech

             US farmers fear GM crop
             fallout

             US farmers are worried about consumer opposition to GM crops

             BBC Newsnight's science correspondent Susan
             Watts reports on how American farmers feel they
             have been let down by GM agribusiness.

                            In the rural idyll of America's
                            agricultural states farmers are
                            getting to know the genetically
                            altered crops they have been told
                            will help them make the most of
                            their land. Their fields are providing
                            the evidence that will tell the world if
             the ambitious claims for biotechnology in agriculture are
             coming true.

                           The whole point of the crops is that
                           they are supposed to help farmers
                           farm more cheaply. Suddenly they are
                           under the spotlight. Consumers
                           outside the US have turned against
             GM food. The export market is disappearing fast - US
             corn sales to Europe shrank from 70 million bushels in
             1997 to just 3 million last year.

             Mood change in the Mid-West

                                 Professor Bill Heffernan of
                                 the University of Missouri has
                                 spent 30 years tracking rural
                                 change across the states.
                                 He says people fear GM
                                 crops could end up costing
                                 them more not less.

                                 "Six months ago we thought
                                 that basically these products
                                 were going to be accepted in
                                 the market - nobody thought
                                 otherwise and in fact it was
                                 just assumed because
             nobody was challenging it.

             "Now, especially because number one what's happening
             in Europe and Japan and other major consumer nations
             that may refuse these products, that's really gotten the
             farmers attention.

             "The farmers are really quite angry about it and they're
             quite confused about it and many farmers just wish the
             whole thing would go away, we'd go back the way it was
             a year ago and forget about all these products."

             'Taking a second look'

                                 Doug Doughty is a GM seed
                                 dealer . His neighbour, Bill
                                 Christison is president of the
                                 National Family Farm
                                 Coalition, a group that has
                                 taken a stand against GM
                                 crops. Yet their apparently
                                 opposing views seem now to
                                 be converging.

                                 Mr Christison says: "I think
                                 in the past year especially
                                 that some farmers are taking
                                 a second look at the
                                 increased production costs
             and the increased yield that was promised them."

             Mr Doughty says: " US farmers embrace technology
             very quickly ,we want the newest thing on the market,
             the latest thing..i think we're just finding out that maybe
             this technology wasn't researched as well as it could
             have been.

             "The Europeans were right to go slow on this. We were
             fed a lot of propoganda that the Europeans were just
             being difficult, to be against what the US were doing -
             but I think we're finding out that they're our customers
             and if they want something we should be able to deliver
             that."

             Farming revolution under scrutiny

                                 One of the most common
                                 modified crops is soybeans
                                 that can tolerate herbicide -
                                 about one third of the soya
                                 bean crop in the mid west is
                                 genetically modified. The
                                 idea is that farmers need not
                                 till their land and can control
                                 weeds with fewer sprays. The
                                 other is pest resistant, or
                                 "Bt" corn, with extra genes
                                 that produce a toxin to fend
                                 off pests.

                                 The message from
                                 biotechnology developers has
             been consistently positive. For the past few decades
             field tests have been conducted on a wide variety of
             products that may produce a better answer, may herald
             the latest revolution in farming technology, products of
             agricultural biotechnology.

             Yet on one of the key claims for these crops - lower
             herbicide use - local farmers experience doesn't quite
             match the developers expectations. For example on
             Monsanto's Round Up-Ready soybeans, the aim was
             only to spray once. But according to Prof Heffernan
             many farmers still spray their crops twice.

             "You just have too many late weeds coming on and so in
             that case you spray just as much as you would with any
             of the other herbicides we've been using in the last few
             years," he says.

             GM yields figures 'confusing'

                                 Last week, the US
                                 department of agriculture
                                 released the most
                                 comprehensive analysis of
                                 data on GM crops in the US.
                                 As expected, these show a
                                 dramatic uptake among
                                 farmers - a six-fold increase
                                 to 50 million acres in just two
                                 years.

                                 Biotechnology companies
                                 sold their crops on the
                                 promise of fewer chemical
                                 treatments and higher yields.
             The official figures show that overall, the picture is
             confusing, with regional variations that are so large it is
             almost impossible to draw general conclusions.

             This puts big question marks over the message from
             biotech companies that GM crops mean automatic
             advantages for farmers.

             On chemical treatments, for 1997, pesticide treatment
             was about the same for pest resistant and conventional
             corn. For herbicide-tolerant soybeans, herbicide use
             went down in some states, but up in others.

             On yields pest resistant corn showed big differences in
             yield advantage - five times higher in the Prairie states
             than in the main crop-growing states. For
             herbicide-tolerant soybeans, yields in the Prairie states
             were about 25% higher, yet in the Eastern states they
             were down by about 8%.

             Yield variations aside, there's no room for argument over
             the harsh economic reality of selling GM crops into a
             reluctant market - and some GM farmers are having
             second thoughts.

             Prof Heffernan says: "All of a sudden we're finding some
             firms are now saying they'll pay 15 to 16 cents a bushel
             more for Non GMOs."

             The result has been that some farmers have tried to
             return their GM seed for more traditional seed.

             Farmers fear cross-contamination

                                 Just as it becomes plain that
                                 GM developers were taken
                                 by surprise by the strength of
                                 reaction against their crops
                                 in Europe - another problem
                                 is emerging, closer to home,
                                 that they also failed to
                                 anticipate.

                                 Bill Christison is a
                                 conventional farmer selling
                                 into a mainstream market,
                                 yet he feels GM crops could
                                 now threaten his livelihood.

             "I have a fear that even though I do not plant GMO crops
             my corn will be contaminated and therefore not
             marketable around the world. I think this is an issue that
             is facing a number of farmers in this country.

             "I think that there is no doubt that there will be a rash of
             lawsuits - farmer against farmer if you will - to determine
             how they can control this Bt hybrid and keep it on their
             side of the fence," he says.

             Organic farmers angered

             Cross contamination is just one practical problem
             biotechnology companies apparently didn't foresee once
             farmers started actually growing GM crops. The issue is
             most acute for organic farmers.

             There have already been cases of Europe rejecting
             American organic produce because it was found to
             contain GM material although it was supposed to be GM
             free.

             Organic farmer Klaus Martens says: "I'm resentful. I
             don't know why when someone else is contaminating my
             land, I should have to bear the financial burden and make
             all the adjustments.

             "I certainly hope that American farmers will wake up and
             reject these products. It's definitely hurting American
             farmers. They cost us the European market, they have
             trapped our domestic markets for our grains and it's very
             obvious that they're not doing us any good."

             GM crops have 'really backfired'

             The evidence is mounting that conventional farmers are
             now are having doubts.

             GM seed dealer Doughty says: "There is a lot of feeling
             that Monsanto and some of the other companies reallly
             let us down in Europe, tried to stuff if down Europeans
             throats, and say here it is, you will have to accept it,
             without going to the countries, to their scientists and
             researchers and proving it first that everything was OK
             and it's really backfired on them."

             Mr Christenson says: " We are going to supply the land
             the machinery, the labour, and we are going to get a
             pittance for our efforts because of GMO seed and this
             does not set well with myself nor with a great number of
             farmer."

             Where farmers may once have seen Monsanto and
             others as pioneering saviours, now, as they watch
             biotech seed prices creep slowly upwards, their mood is
             changing from a warm welcome to simmering
             resentment.
4) <a name="4"></a>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_393000/393949.stm
Wednesday, July 14, 1999 Published at 12:25 GMT 13:25 UK

             Sci/Tech

             US to label GM foods

             US farmers have taken to GM crops in a big way

             The US Government has said that it will probably agree
             to label genetically-modified (GM) food.

                           At the moment, American law does
                           not require this. However, European
                           governments have threatened to
                           continue their ban on the import of
                           certain US GM products if the
                           Americans do not accept such
                           labelling.

             Up to now, the Clinton administration has opposed GM
             labelling, agreeing with the American food industry that it
             unfairly stigmatises what they regard as perfectly safe
             products.

             But the US Agriculture Secretary, Dan Glickman, said
             that relations with Europe on the GM issue could
             deteriorate into an all-out trade war and labelling was a
             way in which such a crisis might be avoided.

             Speaking before an audience of environmentalists,
             lobbyists and lawmakers, Mr Glickman extolled the
             benefits of biotechnology. He said the technology would
             lead to increased yields and a decrease in the use of
             pesticides.

             Loud rhetoric

             According to Mr Glickman, several European countries
             were letting their fears override these potential benefits.
             And he urged them to sort out their internal differences
             as soon as possible.

                                 "Quite frankly, the food
                                 safety and regulatory
                                 regimes in Europe are so
                                 split, and so divided amongst
                                 the different countries, that I
                                 am extremely concerned that
                                 failure to work out these
                                 bio-tech issues in a sensible
                                 way could do deep damage
                                 in our next trade round, and
                                 affects both agriculture and
                                 non-agricultural issues," he
                                 said.

             "Both sides of the Atlantic must tone down rhetoric, roll
             up their sleeves, and work towards conflict resolution,
             based on open trade, sound science, and consumer
             involvement. And I think this can be done if the will is
             there."

             American farmers are producing more and more
             genetically-engineered products, with 44% of American
             soya beans and 36% of corn coming from GM seeds.

                           So far this has been accepted without
                           question by the American public. But
                           last month, researchers at Cornell
                           University said that pollen from GM
                           corn had been shown to kill Monarch
                           butterflies.

                           Threat to butterflies

             This has prompted the US Environmental Defence Fund
             to petition the country's Environmental Protection
             Agency to introduce rules that would see buffer zones of
             18 metres (60 feet) around GM corn to protect the
             butterflies.

                                 "There is considerable
                                 concern that other butterflies,
                                 not only Monarchs, but
                                 including endangered
                                 species may be killed by the
                                 widespread planting of GM
                                 corn," said Rebecca
                                 Goldburg, senior scientist for
                                 the fund.

                                 But a study presented on
                                 Tuesday by an association of
                                 biotechnology companies
                                 and research institutions said
                                 more research was required
                                 to establish the real threat to
             butterflies.

             Leonard Gianessi, senior research associate at the US
             National Center for Food and Agricultural Policy, said: "I
             know of these risk concerns, I believe that the agency
             will look very closely at those kind of risk concerns, to
             the Monarch and others.

             "And if they conclude that there is a risk, an increased
             risk, then they will do something about it. So there will
             be more research done."