-Caveat Lector-

> [...]

> especially quickly, pathologists said. The remains were taken to
> a Bourne hospital at about 7:15 p.m. Wednesday night and released
> to the victims' families at 11 p.m., according to the medical
> examiner's office and the Cape and Islands district attorney's
> office.
>

> Many jurisdictions refuse to perform autopsies at night, said
> Robert Kirschner, a former deputy chief medical examiner for Cook
> County, Ill. The haste in this case, he said, could lead to
> questions about the investigation's thoroughness.
>

> In a high-profile case, he said, the pressures are high, and so
> are the risks of carelessness. Kirschner pointed to other
> autopsies associated with the Kennedy family - the investigation
> that followed President John F. Kennedy's assassination and the
> questions surrounding the death of Mary Jo Kopechne 30 years ago,
> in the Martha's Vineyard car crash on Chappaquiddick.
>

> ''You can't let ... those kinds of pressures alter your
> routines,'' Kirschner said. ''If you alter your procedure and do
> things differently, then you're always going to run into
> problems.''
>

> Still, Jay Dix, chief medical examiner for several Missouri
> counties, said autopsies can usually be completed in 45 minutes
> to several hours, depending on the circumstances of the death.
>

> In a plane crash case, pathologists first try to determine
> whether a medical condition, such as heart disease or a brain
> rupture, could have led the pilot to lose control, Kirschner
> said. Examiners might look at the pilot's lower extremities,
> checking for the impact of a rudder on the bottom of a shoe, or
> some other sign of what the pilot was doing.
>

> Pathologists also follow complex rules for testing a pilot for
> drug and alcohol use, Dix said. After every plane crash, the NTSB
> and Federal Aviation Administration send investigating
> pathologists a box of containers and bags that are used to
> collect samples.
>

> Autopsies of the plane's passengers are not always needed, Dix
> said, though pathologists usually perform X-rays to determine
> victims' injuries.
>

> Passenger autopsies are also useful, Kirschner said, if a
> victim's family sues for damages related to the crash. A medical
> examiner could determine whether the victim suffered in the
> moments before death, or survived in the minutes or hours after
> the crash.
>

> The timing of the Kennedy investigation, Kirschner said, makes it
> unlikely that pathologists performed autopsies on Carolyn
> Bessette Kennedy or Lauren Bessette.
>

> ''You can't possibly do three investigations in four hours,'' he
> said.
>

> Still, Dix said, the speed of the investigation, and the fact
> that it was performed at night, probably will not affect the
> results.
>

> ''You have qualified people doing it,'' he said.
>

> This story ran on page A14 of the Boston Globe on 07/23/99. ©

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Via ReasonMag

> - - Quote of the Week - -
>
> "It took a lot of water to get it just right," Cleve Kapala,
> director of government affairs for Pacific Gas & Electric, on the
> utility releasing four billion gallons of water so that Vice
> President Al Gore's canoe would not get stuck during an
> environmental photo opportunity on the Connecticut River in
> Cornish, New Hampshire. The utility was asked by the Connecticut
> River Joint Commission and Secret Service agents to release
> enough water to keep the canoe afloat, but not so much as to make
> it dangerous.
>
> http://www.washtimes.com/politics/toppolitical.html
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/ap/elections/story.html?s=v/
> ap/199907 23/e l/gore_afloat_1.html

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.