-Caveat Lector-

from:
a friend:
-----
Kris, FYI (This came from xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).
Interesting, I think.

***

The following excerpts were taken from an article written by Donna S. Cueto
is as it appeared on the front page of most Manila newspapers July 17,
1999.  It contains revelations of Marcos' gold recoveries by  Mr. Enrique
Zobel who is a billionaire Filipino businessman, owner of San Miguel
Corporation and many other companies, and a very credible information
source.

BUSINESS magnate Enrique Zobel said he had around 200 witnesses who could
testify on the existence of the Marcos gold, including those who had dug it
up and a European associate who knew about the secret Marcos accounts.

In a letter faxed from Spain to former Solicitor General Francisco Chavez
on Thursday, Zobel said he was also willing to testify at the Senate
inquiry set next month on the secret $13.2-billion ''I. Arenetta'' account
and the gold hoard of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos.

Zobel, who was one of Marcos's critics, was paralyzed from the neck down
after a polo accident in Spain in 1991. He has since been confined to a
wheelchair.  Now 72, Zobel had earlier estimated the gold hoard to be worth
$35 billion, based on documents and certificates that Marcos showed him in
late 1988. He was named one of four trustees of a foundation that Marcos
wanted to set up then. The dictator died a year later. ''I have
approximately 200 witnesses who dug up the gold in the Philippines and can
testify (as to) the locations, dates and the amounts,'' Zobel said in his
letter to Chavez, a copy of which was made available to the Inquirer.''
Regretfully, most of them are afraid to come out in the open.'' He said one
of his close friends, a European whom he described as ''quite knowledgeable
about the Marcos accounts and somewhat involved with a European
government,'' was also willing to testify and show proof of the Marcos
accounts.

''These people are willing to testify before the Senate as long as I am
present with them,'' Zobel said. He said he also knew someone who had
pictures of the actual gold bars with the original identifications. He
added: ''I have heard all kinds of rumors of negotiations being done abroad
between high-ranking government officials and Marcos's representatives so
that all of their Philippine taxes would be avoided and the Filipino people
would be kept unaware of the true situation. How sad!''

Zobel also disclosed alleged attempts by the present Presidential
Commission on Good Government to get information from him on the secret
Marcos accounts early this year, two months before he left for Spain. This
was after Australian investigator Reiner Jacobi had exposed the
$13.2-billion account under the client number of Marcos daughter Irene
Araneta, and informed the PCGG about it. Jacobi said the Marcos gold, which
he had confirmed based on evidence, amounted to 1,241 tons. ''The PCGG sent
Commissioner Antonio Rosales, with some of their top ranking officials, a
lawyer and an ex-manager of one of the sequestered firms, to visit me at my
house in Alabang,'' Zobel said. ''I told them that I would give the
information I have to the President or to the Senate, only because I do not
trust the PCGG.'' He said the PCGG had not tried to talk to him before,
although it knew that he had knowledge of the Marcos gold as well as other
information revealed to him by the dictator himself. Zobel said Marcos had
also told him of how ''presidential relatives and some PCGG people were
asking for funds,'' among other things. He said these persons were
relatives of former President Corazon Aquino ''Keep all the above in mind
should you need further ammunition. Hope your Senate hearing in August will
be a success,'' Zobel said. ''It is so refreshing to find out that somebody
like you is interested in the Marcos gold issue, as this, I believe, would
be the salvation of the Filipino people. ''Hope you will help our country
recover the gold finally, before it all disappears without a trace.'' A
thumbprint of Zobel was affixed to the letter. Chavez faxed a letter to
Zobel in Spain last July 12, in answer to the businessman's letter
questioning the former solicitor general's reasons for investigating the
Marcos gold.

Our thanks to Mr. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for sending this to us in text
form via E-mail.

END TRANSCRIPT
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,