[Unable to display image]

A Surplus of Lies
How Our Elected Officials Turned a Budget Deficit Into a Budget Surplus

by James M. Jarrell

An article appearing in the March 1, 1999 edition of Barron’s exposed the
great myth currently being perpetrated within our political circles. The myth
that a budget surplus actually exists for the fiscal year 1999. Few items in
life have given evidence to the true similarities between present day
Democrats and Republicans than this. Although each group may beg to differ,
they love to spend taxpayer money attempting to solve the problems of the
world while at the same time garnishing the adoration of their constituents.
"That’s simply not true" they would say. But unless they just simply don’t
understand the policies and procedures used to calculate the budget, what
other conclusion are we to draw after reading the Barron’s article. Simply
put, whether they are Democrats or Republicans, they love to spend taxpayer
money. Now they have found a fix to their addiction without having to incur
the subsequent wrath of their supporters. How ingenious it is to falsely
claim that a surplus exists, when in actuality it does not. How resourceful
it is to manipulate the media to perpetrate this fraud. Then they can easily
justify more spending based on this triumphant lie. After all, why would a
voter disagree, if we have a budget surplus.

Of course, some Republicans want to cut taxes and give this money back to the
taxpayers. This sounds very appealing, but the problem is, there is not a
surplus to return. So any tax cut would actually increase the budget deficit.
Therefore, the proposed tax cut becomes a way to return money to the voters,
thus appeasing their selfish desires, without having to cut one ounce of
spending. As the Churchlady used to say, "How convenient!" Well maybe you
haven’t read the Barron’s article and maybe I’ve left you a little confused.
I mean, how could our politicians in Washington devise such a unique scheme
to garnish votes while spending more money and increasing the deficit, all
the while claiming that a surplus exists. Well let’s start from the beginning.

Back in 1967, the President’s Commission on Budget Concerns developed a
concept in which all off-budget entities would be included in the overall
Federal Budget program. The government has used this unified budget concept
in its calculations since 1969. This was partly developed to hide the
monumental spending taking place under Lyndon Baines Johnson’s Great Society.
This allowed the Federal government to cover deficits with surpluses and
revenues from other off-budget government projects. Off-budget programs are
required by law to maintain their own records of transactions. Therefore,
these items are not included in the overall Federal budget. However, the
unified budget concept allows our politicians to combine the reporting
results from these segments together with the overall Federal budget to
produce a consolidated number. These numbers are simply netted together to
produce the final budget surplus or deficit. There have been a number of
off-budget programs since 1969 which have been used to off-set budget
deficits. Currently, two remain, Social Security and the United States Postal
Service. The Postal Service was made an off-budget entity in 1989 and Social
Security was designated as such in 1985. However, of the two, Social Security
continues to produce the largest surplus.

Now what’s the problem you might ask. The problem exists in the fact that the
Federal Budget has run a deficit since before 1970, including the current
year. The reason the politicians are stating we have a surplus is because
they are off-setting the budget deficit with the off-budget surplus from
Social Security and the Postal Service. But as Barron’s rightly points out,
the Social Security funds are temporary. Ultimately, they are liabilities to
the Federal government. So basically, the politicians in Washington are using
the money from unpaid liabilities in off-budget entities to conceal a budget
deficit. And when a surplus is declared, they state that these funds will be
used for new projects or be returned to the taxpayers in the form of tax
relief. Yet, these funds are not available for this. Simply put, they are
borrowing this money to pay for new spending projects or to finance tax cuts.

Let’s throw in some numbers to help get a better picture. Let’s say that the
Federal government has a $121 billion surplus in Social Security funds. Now
this is money that it owes to the taxpayer’s for Social Security benefits.
Then our noble politicians decide to use this money for road construction on
Federal highways. What are we left with. Well, we still have a $121 billion
liability and on top of that we also just spent another $121 billion to build
Federal highways. And where does that leave us? With total spending of $242
billion.

So you say, well let’s return this surplus to the taxpayers. That sounds like
a good conservative notion. But let’s recall that Social Security is in
drastic shape. The retirement of the babyboomers within the next 30 years is
threatening to bankrupt the entire system. Returning this money to the
taxpayer will only make the situation more drastic. These funds are earmarked
for future Social Security claimants. So in other words, to return this
surplus to the taxpayer in the current year would be to create a bigger
deficit in future years. Why save for later, when you can spend now and get
votes.

This year’s current budget deficit rests at $19 billion excluding Social
Security and the Postal Service. However, adding back these entities creates
a surplus of $107 billion. But as stated in the previous paragraph, these
funds will be spent in future years. Therefore, the true budget deficit
should be $19 billion and therefore, no surplus exists to spend. The fact
that our elected officials have attempted to fool the American people into
believing that there is a surplus in order to gain votes is simply
despicable. This should raise the ire of all American taxpayers. In fact, no
true budget surplus is expected to exist until around the year 2001.

Interestingly enough, in accordance with the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Act of
1985, the budgets of off-budget entities and on-budget entities were to be
kept separate. However, as Barron’s states "this was done in the technical
sense, but politicians continued to refer to Social Security and the
government budget in combined terms . . .". Furthermore, the policy enacted
by the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Act was reinforced by the Budget Enforcement Act
of 1990. However, our elected officials continue to utilize the alternate way
of presenting the budget to the American public.

Interestingly enough, the national debt has continued to rise due to the
raiding of these Social Security surpluses. As Barron’s states in a follow-up
article dated March 15th:

"The difference between the full national debt and the privately held portion
of the debt is approximately $1.8 trillion held in federal accounts including
civil-service retirement, Medicare and Social Security. This $1.8 trillion
consists of IOUs issued by the government. Those IOU’s are essentially how
the Washington politicians have been able to give the appearance of having a
surplus when the government is in reality spending more than it is taking in."
The Washington Post also noted:
"Even as deficits declined, the accumulated national debt continued to grow.
The current total tops $3.7 trillion . . . But it does not count the amount
the government has borrowed from its own accounts, such as trust funds for
the Social Security and Medicare programs, civil service and military
retirement plans, unemployment insurance and transportation funds. Adding in
those IOUs boosts the total debt to more than $5.5 trillion – or more than
$20,000 for every American"
So we have politicians who declare from the "rooftops" that we have a budget
surplus while our national debt continues to grow. Now does this make sense
to you?

So there we have it. That government surplus we’ve heard so much about is a
phony. There is no surplus, but in actuality there is a $19 billion budget
deficit. The actual surplus we’ve heard so much about comes from a surplus
within Social Security which has been used to offset the actual budget
deficit. The Federal Government borrows against this money to finance new
spending or tax cuts. But as these funds are used, our national debt
continues to increase. What we are witnesses to here is the sad state of
American politics on display. Politicians desire power and the only method to
keep this power is to appease the American people. This is the reason why
public opinion polls are consulted so frequently. In order to stay in power,
politicians must do, not what’s in the best interest of the people (for what
the people want is not necessarily in their best interests) , but what will
garnish their votes. Sounds much like bribery. Well, the American people have
been bribed by the promise of a budget surplus which can be used to fund
social programs or which will be returned to the taxpayer in the form of a
tax cut. We have been victims of a false bribe in order to garnish our votes
of support. How disgraceful it is that our politicians would stoop to such a
level to win public support. Do the politicians of this country believe us to
be stupid-minded individuals, unable to figure out simple accounting
concepts? It would appear that way. Well, it’s time for the American people
to answer and hold our elected officials accountable for this bit of
deception. Or shall we pass on our deficits to our children’s future as a
lasting legacy of a society addicted to debt.

Sources:

1. Barron’s. March 1, 1999. Pages 25-26.
2. Barron’s. March 15, 1999. Page 26.
3. WashingtonPost.Com. January 30, 1999. Located at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/budget/budget.htm

Copyright 1999. James M. Jarrell.