-Caveat Lector-

WASHINGTON, D.C. - House Science Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner
stated, "I am concerned about the apparent lack of scientific data behind
the FDA’s actions. For the FDA – one of the most important regulatory
agencies in government – to use such poor science for a dietary supplement
raises warning flags for the other products the agency regulates."

Congressman Ralph Hall added that, "According to the GAO report, FDA missed
the mark in their proposed regulation. Documentation of FDA’s work was
inadequate, they failed to record key steps in their analysis, they
neglected to review the AERs for reliability, they arbitrarily inflated the
benefits of their regulation and all of this fed into their proposed rule.
FDA is a science-based agency and can certainly do better and we must insist
that they do better. FDA maintains the safety of our food, drugs, cosmetics
and now dietary supplements supplies and their work has to be based on the
highest standards of scientific conduct. I don’t know how you go back and
fix the record, which is what FDA says they now want to do. I would suggest
that FDA withdraw the proposed rule, do their job right and see whether we
can’t come up with a rule that everyone can support grounded in real science
and reliable data."

http://www.house.gov/science/106thpress/106-71.htm

(There IS a God....  ;-)

Dave Hartley