-Caveat Lector-

> Parents across the South battle mandatory school dress codes
>
> By David Hudson
> First Amendment Center
>
> 8.17.99
>
> • What do you think? Have your say in The Forum.
>
> <Picture>
>
> While many parents of public school students across the country
> object to mandatory school dress codes, Southern parents are
> banding together to voice their opposition to the policies.
>
> Several parents have formed groups to raise public awareness
> about the dress codes, which they say violate their and their
> children's First Amendment rights and are antithetical to
> individual freedom.
>
> Tim Tillman, father of four public school children in Polk
> County, Fla., has formed the Parental Action Committee to
> challenge the school district's adoption of a mandatory uniform
> policy.
>
> On its Web site, the group says that its "emphasis will be on
> countering the continuing attempts of the school board to deny
> parents their rights to opt out of the uniform policy."
>
> "This mandatory school uniform policy is un-American and is
> fundamentally wrong," Tillman told free! "The children in this
> community are being denied their freedom of political and
> religious expression."
>
> He says that he and many other parents have hired an attorney and
> will soon file a lawsuit challenging the school uniform policy.
>
> Another group of parents in Wilson County, Tenn., is hoping to
> raise public awareness of the controversial dress code policy at
> area schools.
>
> Last July the Wilson County School Board adopted a mandatory
> school dress code policy, which requires navy, khaki, hunter
> green or black bottoms and "solid white navy blue or hunter green
> [collared] shirts."
>
> The Wilson County Parents Coalition, on its Web site, quotes
> Henry David Thoreau, saying "Beware all enterprises that require
> new clothes."
>
> Shortly after the school board approved the new dress code
> policy, Shirley Cox and Therese Harmon formed Parents Against
> Mandatory Uniforms to object to the dress code policy and the way
> it was passed. Cox and Harmon now call their group the Wilson
> County Parents Coalition.
>
> "They are taking away our children's right to freedom of
> expression," Cox told free!
>
> Earlier this week, Cox's oldest daughter, ninth-grader Lenai
> Brady, was given in-school suspension for wearing a University of
> Tennessee T-shirt. Cox said her three younger children and other
> students also were punished this week, either given in-school
> detention or sent home — for violating the dress code.
>
> Cox says she and the other members of the Wilson County Parents
> Coalition are hoping to file a lawsuit. "We need to file a class
> action lawsuit to defend our rights and to make the public aware
> of what is actually happening here," she said.

> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.