-Caveat Lector-

<<These relate to personal privacy but also to issues relating
to 'Freedom of the Press', "Free Speech', and the rights of the
citizenry to conduct their lives without undue gov't intrusion.
They're also related to the The Strange Case of Ed Moloney (from
No Ireland) but pertain specifically to the US of A.>>

>From EPIC

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> August 20, 1999
>
>          NEW WHITE HOUSE COMPUTER SURVEILLANCE PLAN
>          WOULD POSE UNPRECEDENTED THREAT TO PRIVACY
>
> WASHINGTON, DC -- The Electronic Privacy Information Center
> (EPIC) today warned that a new Clinton Administration proposal
> could result in an unprecedented intrusion into the sanctity of
> private homes and businesses.  The White House plan would enable
> federal and local law enforcement agents to secretly break into
> private premises and alter computer equipment to collect e-mail
> messages and other electronic information.   As the Washington
> Post reported today, the administration is circulating draft
> legislation known as the "Cyberspace Electronic Security Act,"
> the latest White House effort to address the growing use of
> encryption technology.  As described in an August 4 analysis of
> the legislation obtained by EPIC, the proposal would amend
> current law to authorize "the alteration of hardware or software
> that allows plaintext to be obtained even if attempts were made
> to protect it through encryption."  Courts would, for the first
> time, be able to approve covert police entries into homes and
> offices for the purposes of making such alterations.   "This
> strikes at the heart of the Bill of Rights," said David L. Sobel,
> EPIC's General Counsel.  "It would be truly ironic if the use of
> encryption -- which is designed to protect privacy -- gave the
> police a green light to secretly break into homes." Surreptitious
> physical entries are extremely rare under existing surveillance
> laws.  Such entries are only made in order to install hidden
> microphones, an investigative technique approved only 50 times by
> federal and state judges last year.  According to Sobel,
> "extending this extraordinary power to cases involving computer
> files would make police break-ins far more common than they are
> today."   The latest administration proposal on computer
> surveillance comes on the heels of the "FIDNET" initiative, a
> planned government program that would monitor activity within
> both federal and private sector computer networks.  When the
> details of that proposal became widely known earlier this month,
> it met with strong criticism from privacy groups (including EPIC)
> and members of Congress.   EPIC is a public interest research
> center in Washington, D.C. It was established in 1994 to focus
> public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to
> protect privacy, the First Amendment, and constitutional values.
> EPIC is a project of the Fund for Constitutional Government. EPIC
> works in association with Privacy International, an international
> human rights group based in London, UK and is also a member of
> the Global Internet Liberty Campaign, the Internet Free
> Expression Alliance and the Internet Privacy Coalition.   The
> EPIC website is located at http://www.epic.org
>                              - 30 -

> [...]

<<  Interesting how the gov't is anticipating crimes will happen
and is taking steps to prosecute prior to anything ever
happening.  As is the case of most gov't bureaucracies, there is
a great drive for "make work", the result of 'brain-storming' in
the direction of, with the objective being job/position
preservation.  I think they ought to do to the rest of the gov't
what they've done with the military in terms of stretching the
manpower $$$ as far and thin as possible.  No 100K cops; no
extra funding for 'potential' crimes; no surrogate parenthood --
put the people back in charge of their country. A<>E<>R >>

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.