-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990824b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: No creationist thought evolved during the production of this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Nothing can eclipse its beauty. (BBC) A Norfolk gardener is blaming the
  eclipse for the early opening of his stunning blooms. Ya, u-betcha:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_428000/428802.stm

@ Links: Epiphyllum oxypetalum: http://www.epiuniverse.com/NightBloom.htm
# Also: Wildlife fooled by double dawn:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_417000/417679.stm
# And: Total eclipse. Total coverage:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_415000/415227.stm

: Will the eclipse stories never end? How long can I keep milking this? Why?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Anti-gay site goes back to rightful owners. (CNN) As slowly as it came,
  the road to love veered back to hate on an anti-gay Web site run by
  Pastor Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas.
  http://cnn.com/TECH/computing/9908/23/hack.folo/index.html

@ SITES: MindSprung: http://www.mindsprung.com/
@ Godhatesfags.com: http://www.godhatesfags.com/
@ GodLovesFags.com: http://www.godlovesfags.com/

: Do you love/hate fags? Are you god? If god hates fags, why'd she make so
many of'em? If god loves fags, why'd she make so many fag-haters? Why o why?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# CARL SAGAN: HIS IDEAS WEREN'T ALL THAT WAS HIGH. In light of George Bush's
  problems with his past drug use, I know some folks will be shocked to hear
  that the astronomer Carl Sagan (a hero of mine) was an avid pot smoker. He
  even credited it with intellectual inspiration - which certainly goes
  against the belief that pot makes people less ambitious. Pass that joint -
  http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=15738

: Would you rather be inspired by herbs, aliens, mindcontrol rays, religious
fantasies, neurotoxins, me? D'ya need to smoke pot to be indolent? Do hyper-
alert folks need cannabis to cool their brains off enough to write it down??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# 'Scared mouse' joins medical models. Scientists added a "scared mouse" to
  the group of gene-altered rodents used to understand and treat human ills.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_428000/428219.stm

# Making a pig's eye of it. (BBC) Vets have saved the sight of a German
  shepherd dog using material made from a pig's gut. But the simile fails:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_428000/428272.stm

: Would you frighten a mouse in order to save yourself? D'ya wanna be saved
by scared rats, eviscerated pigs, me? Would you rather dissect an ET alien??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# SPERM COUNTS DROPPING DRAMATICALLY. UK scientists are set to carry out the
  biggest-ever study of male reproductive health, including why sperm counts
  across the globe appear to be falling dramatically. Scottish  men asked to
  volunteer - see: http://cnn.com/HEALTH/men/9908/23/sperm.britain.reut/
  and: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_426000/426626.stm
@ Link: Reproductive Health Study: http://www.med.ed.ac.uk/hew/repro/

: Would you volunteer to have your sperm counted? Are sperm being stolen by
Reptilioids/Republicans, demons/deities, robots, me? Did yours go missing?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Lost childhood of the 'stolen generation'. (BBC) Aboriginal survivors of
  Australia's assimilation policy bear the scars of their childhood during
  which they were wrenched from their families and culture. Child abuse:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_416000/416226.stm

@ Links: Aboriginal Reconciliation Council: http://www.austlii.edu.au/car/
@ Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Comm: http://www.hreoc.gov.au/
@ Commission's report on the stolen children:
  http://www.hreoc.gov.au/social_justice/stolen_children/index.html

: Would you rather have your children abducted by humans, extraterrestrials,
robots, demons/deities, me? Have you taken any kids lately? For good reason?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

% MINISTRY WATCH

@ Lambert Dolphin & The Great Sphinx - The Edgar Cayce Connection:
  http://watch.pair.com/dolphin.html
@ Methodists Worship God the Mother - The Shekhinah:
  http://watch.pair.com/shekhinah.html
@ Southern Baptist Convention - Freemasons & the Jesus Seminar:
  http://watch.pair.com/sbc.html
@ Bible Study Fellowship - A Closer Look:
  http://watch.pair.com/bsf.html
@ Contemporary Christian Music - Lambs to the Slaughter:
  http://watch.pair.com/ccm.html
@ Youth With a Mission - Moral Government Theology:
  http://watch.pair.com/YWAM.html
@ The Promise Keepers Movement:
  http://watch.pair.com/promise.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiLinks:

# How not to handle a network outage:
  http://cnn.com/TECH/computing/9908/23/network.nono.idg/index.html
# Y2K fears calmed by satellites' smooth clock reset:
  http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9908/23/gps.y2k.reut/index.html
# New toolkits help you prepare for Y2K:
  http://cnn.com/TECH/computing/9908/23/toolkits.y2k.idg/index.html

@ Driving out demons in Gaza. (CNN) Demons know no boundaries. They seem to
  occur in nearly all nationalities and religions. And so, it appears, do
  faith healers. http://cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9901/10/gaza.faith.healer/

@ Really Spooky Stuff: http://egroups.com/group/spooky-stuff/info.html
@ ENIGMA research journal: http://www.vigay.com/Enigma/

"George Samsa awoke one morning and found that he had not turned into a
hideous giant insect, and he was determined to mop up all the parking lots
in downtown Prague with the face of that Kafka fellow who had been spreading
this wild story about him through the neighborhood." --Kevin D. Kelly

* http://sonic.net/~ric UPDATED * ICQ# 19633976 * FAX: 603-415-3736
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *