-Caveat Lector-

> [...]

> So much for the public's right-to-know. This approach can be
> summarized as follows: if there is a danger of a chemical
> accident, the best solution is to keep the public in the dark as
> to how bad the risks are and what, if anything, is being done
> about it.
>
> This is a classic case of how moneyed interests, focused hard on
> a narrow concern, can easily defeat the broader interest when the
> public isn't paying attention. The chemical industry led the
> charge for S. 880, its influence rooted in $4 million in PAC
> donations, soft money and large individual ($200 and up)
> contributions to congressional candidates in 1997-98. Its allies
> in the food processing industry, oil and gas producers and
> refiners, and agricultural fertilizer sectors--all of which are
> also subject to the Clean Air Act--gave another $22.5 million.
> Three-quarters of that went to Republicans. The leading sponsors
> of S. 880 were Senator James Inhofe (R-OK), who raised $432,730
> from those industries between 1993 and 1998, and Rep. Tom Bliley
> (R-VA), recipient of $93,261. Against them were a host of
> consumer and environmental groups, none of them major campaign
> contributors.
>
> The chemical industry claims that S. 880 was needed to prevent
> dangerous information from falling into the hands of terrorists,
> giving them a road map of which plants to attack. Never mind that
> the EPA had specifically exempted any classified information from
> being released in facility risk management plans. And forget that
> from 1987 to 1996, there have been 600,000 accidents reported
> involving hazardous chemicals--and not one has been caused by
> terrorists. As it is, S. 880 contains no provisions to improve
> site security, reduce hazards through inherent safety, or harden
> facilities against attack.
>
> Two-hundred-fifty people, plant-workers as well as people living
> nearby, die each year from chemical accidents. The more the
> public knows about those risks, the more the pressure that proper
> precautions be taken. Which is apparently the last thing the
> chemical industry wants.
> OUCH! is a regular e-mail bulletin on how private money in
> politics hurts average citizens, published by Public Campaign, a
> non-partisan, non-profit organization devoted to comprehensive
> campaign finance reform. Every day, we pay more as consumers and
> taxpayers for special interest subsidies and boondoggles because
> of our system of privately financed elections. It's time for a
> change.
>
> Help spread the word! Send copies of this message to your friends
> and join the growing movement for real campaign finance reform.
> If you would like to add yourself to the OUCH! listserv, send a
> one-line e-mail message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] reading "subscribe
> ouch". To remove yourself from the list, send a message to the
> same address reading "unsubscribe ouch".

PubliCampaign.Org
www.publicampaign.org/index.html

> If you're looking for real solutions to clean up the campaign
> finance mess in this country, you've come to the right place. We
> can show you what's wrong with the system and how you can help
> fix it. That's right: YOU CAN HELP FIX IT. In fact, if America is
> ever going to change the money culture that defines politics
> today, WE THE PEOPLE are going to have to do it ourselves. We
> must put pressure on Congress and our state legislatures. Public
> pressure still sways politicians, in Washington and in state
> capitols. Real reform will only come from the ground up. Join
> Public Campaign and work for Clean Money Campaign Reform.

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.