from:
http://www.ft.com/hippocampus/q14554e.htm
<A HREF="http://www.ft.com/hippocampus/q14554e.htm">ft.com - Companies News /
Asia-Pacific</A>
------
Friday August 27 1999

Asia-PacificFUJI:
Bank bugs investors with rude e-mail
By Gillian Tett and Alexandra Nusbaum in Tokyo
One of Japan's biggest banks has embarrassed itself - and risked
insulting some of its key investors - by e-mailing a computer virus to
dozens of fund managers worldwide.

The e-mailed memo was part of a public relations offensive by Fuji Bank,
which last week announced plans for a merger with Industrial Bank of
Japan and Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank to create the world's largest banking
group.

The bug will make recipients' computers display a message from Fuji Bank
on the 14th day of each month telling the viewer in English that he or
she is "a big stupid jerk!". It also changes some of the names in the
e-mail to "Dr Mountain Dew".

Fuji yesterday admitted it had inadvertently sent out a virus to dozens
of global investors in a memo describing the three-way alliance. When it
discovered what had happened, it sent a second e-mail warning recipients
about the bug and the insulting message.

"I have never received anything like this from a Japanese bank before,"
said Brian Waterhouse, analyst at HSBC Securities.

"I have also never heard of a case of a Japanese bank having a computer
bug problem before. But I suppose that's a sign of technological change,
and them catching up with the rest of the banking world."

A Fuji official said yesterday: "This computer bug is absolutely no joke
. . . we have never seen anything like this before. We are determined
that this will never happen again."

The bank said it had eliminated the virus from its own software. It
denied suggestions that the bug might have been the work of employees
opposed to restructuring, saying it had come from "outside sources".

Fuji had produced the merger announcement in such a hurry that it had
taken the unusual step of outsourcing some of its information technology
procedures rather than relying on its own staff.

-----