-Caveat Lector-

>From www.civmag.com/articles/C9909E05.html

<<Excepting for his residence, he might be from the Isles ...>>

> 99/09 - American Voices
>

> Middle-Ground Mud
>
> A contrarian journalist wonders why the fair-minded yearn for the semantic swamp
>

> By Christopher Hitchens
>

> I have a great friend in Jerusalem, an old savant from Hebrew University named
> Israel Shahak, who is very much involved in the two great local Kulturkampfen --
> between the chauvinists and the internationalists and between the secular and
> the Orthodox. I once called him up to ask how things were going. "Well," he said
> after a pause for reflection. "There are encouraging signs of polarization."
>
> The effect of these words upon me was akin to doffing a heavy overcoat on a
> sweltering day. Because all around us, embedded as it were in the national and
> cultural rhetoric, is a surreptitious weighting of the language in favor of a
> bogus consensus. To read The New York Times of a morning is to suspect that,
> somewhere in its cortical software, a set of axiomatic assumptions has been
> inserted and that it only takes a keystroke to send these cliches darting into
> the fingertips, right up to the brain and straight back down onto the page as
> received wisdom.
>
> When, for example, did you ever see the word bipartisan employed as anything
> other than an approbation? Or the word partisan used as other than
> disapprobation? A sample sentence might say something like -- and this in a news
> story -- "Hopes rose yesterday of an end to the recent outbreak of partisanship
> on the Hill, with bipartisan spokesmen on both sides of the aisle speaking
> optimistically of an end to confrontation." In approximate translation, this can
> only mean: "Whew! For a moment back there, it looked as if we were going to have
> a two-party system. But wiser counsels prevailed, and the one-party ethos kicked
> back in."
>
> Or take, if you will, the word divisive. It is an insult all on its own. A
> public figure must stand for unity, for the healing process (a recent import
> from the therapeutic universe), and for togetherness. To be in favor of
> "division" is almost like being in favor of segregation. A presumed applause
> line -- you may have applauded it yourself -- is an attack on "the politics of
> division." In this treacly atmosphere, it takes a conscious effort of the mind
> to recall that politics, by definition, is division.
>
> From the talk show world to the academic world, brownie points can be won by
> those who stress the need for "community." It doesn't seem to matter which
> community is said to be in need of more of its essence. (The "intelligence
> community" I used to think was hilarious enough; now, in the public sphere in
> Washington, I have heard straight-faced mentions of the political "donor
> community" and also -- this in a discussion of "star wars" pork barrel -- "the
> contractor community.") All very reassuring, with its implication of harmony and
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.