-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----

> > I'm afraid I'm fresh out of outrage at the parents.  Nobody has yet
> convinced
> >  me that people should not live in religious communities of their own
> >  choosing.

This is true. In America, feel free to join an occult lodge, but heaven help
you if you join a group that has a different take on the Bible.

Furthermore, the "brainwashing" comment made by the other individual earlier
was completely out of line. Koresh was not a charismatic man that had
glowing eyes and who put spells on people. If you watch a video tape of
Koresh, you will more than likely "hah," and walk away. Listen to NPR's
"Father Cares: The Last of Jonestown," and to the 45 minute audio of the
Jonestown massacre, both of which are readily available on the World Wide
Web, and you will quickly discern that one of these occurrences involved
brainwashing (Jonestown) and that one did not (Waco.)

If there was any brainwashing involved at all, it may have been the
repetition of common viewpoints, over and over. However this does not mean
that it was the intential brainwashing of members by an insane leader -
listen to any  song enough times, and you will eventually like it. Find a
guy "into" something, and you are likely to hear a great deal about it,
whatever it is.

Many of the Davidians visited the "compound" many, many times before
considering staying there. This to me cancels out the presence of
brainwashing as it exists on an INTENDED level. Jim Jones's converts were
immediate and remained in his "aura" until that incident in history ended,
and unfortuneately for some of the survivors, afterward, even up to this
very day.

--
Dan S