-Caveat Lector-

>From Irish Times
<<Note:  Titles under "Contents" are hot linques>>

> Thursday, September 9, 1999
>
> New Primary
> Curriculum preview
> Following is the full text of a preview of the new Primary Curriculum, issued by
> the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment:
>
> CONTENTS
>
> Curriculum Areas
> Language
> Mathematics
> Social, environmental and scientific education
> Arts education
> Physical education
> Social, personal and health education
> Special Educational Needs
> Parents
> Information and Communications Technologies
> Assessment
>

> General Introduction
>
> The revised curriculum will be formally submitted to the Minister for Education
> and Science for consideration in the near future. This marks a very significant
> development in the history of primary education and the culmination of many year
> of work by all the partners in education. Its introduction presents all of us
> with a unique opportunity to effect change and to prepare children for the
> challenges and opportunities of the future.
>
> The curriculum will offer teachers a framework from which to plan a programme
> which meets their own unique requirements in the school and classroom. It
> incorporates a number of key benefits. Among these are the following:
>
> 品t is evolutionary, building on current best practice and based on the key
> principles and philosophy of the 1971 curriculum
>
> 品t is forward-looking and aims to develop skills and competences that are
> appropriate for children in the new millennium
>
> 品t is child-centred, focusing on the child as a learner and is directed towards
> developing learning skills and a love of learning
>
> 品t contains a rich variety of practical exemplars and explores a wide range of
> approaches and methodologies in each subject area which will be of great
> assistance to teachers
>
> 品t offers flexibility within a clear structured national framework while
> enabling teachers and schools to plan for different needs and circumstances
>
> 品t is presented in an accessible and user-friendly format to facilitate ease of
> reference and planning
>
> 品t provides for assessment of pupils' progress as an integral part of the
> teaching and learning process
>
> Most importantly the curriculum outlines a detailed and comprehensive range of
> objectives and learning experiences which focus not only on what children learn
> but on how learning takes place. It is resourceful and supportive and is
> designed to provide the necessary guidance and materials for teachers in
> mediating the curriculum in the classroom.
>
> A brief summary of the defining features of the curriculum will provide an
> understanding of some of the main emphases and changes which are envisaged.
> Among the key areas of emphasis are the following:

> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.

screeds are not allowed. Substance溶ot soapboxing!  These are sordid matters