-Caveat Lector-

>From www.imf.org

<<Begin excerpt {{long article}}>>

> Use the free
> Adobe Acrobat Reader
> to view these files.
> Arabic PDF
> Chinese PDF
> French PDF
> German PDF
> Russian PDF
> Spanish PDF
> What Is the International Monetary Fund?
>
> David D. Driscoll
>
> Revised September 1998
>
> External Relations Department, Publication Services
> International Monetary Fund, Washington, D.C. 20431 U.S.A.
>
> [ Origins ]   [ Quotas and Voting ]   [ Organization ]   [ Operations ]
> [ Exchange Arrangements ]   [ Surveillance ]   [ Consultations  ]
> [ Financial Function ]   [ Source of  Finance ]   [ Financial Assistance ]
> [ Charges ]   [ SDRs ]   [ Services ]   [ Recent Activities]
>
> Despite its increased visibility as a result of the Asian financial crisis, the
> International Monetary Fund remains a mysterious presence on the international
> scene. Considerable confusion reigns about why it exists and what it does. Some
> observers, confusing it with the World Bank or another aid institution, are
> under the impression that the IMF exists to subsidize economic development in
> the poorer nations. Others imagine it as an international central bank
> controlling the creation of money on a world scale. Still others regard the IMF
> as a powerful and disapproving political institution, imbued with a missionary
> zeal for fiscal rectitude, that somehow compels its members to tread a path of
> economic austerity. The IMF is in fact none of these. It is neither a
> development bank, nor a world central bank, nor an agency that can or wishes to
> coerce its members to do very much of anything. It is rather a cooperative
> institution that 182 countries have voluntarily joined because they see the
> advantage of consulting with one another in this forum to maintain a stable
> system of buying and selling their currencies so that payments in foreign money
> can take place between countries smoothly and without delay.
>
> The IMF is the enemy of surprise.

<<End excerpt>>

> [...]
>
> •The IMF should continue to hold a relatively large amount of gold among its
> assets, not only for prudential reasons, but also to meet unforeseen
> contingencies.
>
> •The IMF has a systemic responsibility to avoid causing disruptions to the
> functioning of the gold market.
>
> •Profits from any gold sales should be used whenever feasible to create an
> investment fund, of which only the income would be used.
>

> Background Information
>

> Sources of Gold
>
> The IMF acquired virtually all its holdings of gold through four main types of
> transactions under the original Articles of Agreement.
>
> •Subscriptions. The original Articles of Agreement prescribed that 25 percent of
> initial subscriptions and quota increases was normally to be paid in gold. This
> represented the largest source of the IMF's gold.
>
> •Payment of charges. Originally, all charges, i.e., interest on members'
> outstanding use of Fund credit, were normally payable in gold.
>
> •Repurchases. Members were permitted—and in some circumstances could be
> required—to use gold to repay the IMF for credit previously extended.
>
> •Purchases. A member wishing to obtain the currency of another member could
> acquire it by selling gold to the IMF. The major use of this provision was sales
> of gold to the IMF by South Africa in 1970-71.
>

> Uses of Gold
>
> Outflows of gold from the IMF's holdings occurred under the original Articles of
> Agreement through sales of gold for currency, and via payments of remuneration
> and interest. Sales of gold for currency were divided as follows:
>

> •Sales for replenishment (1957-70). In the late 1950s and in the 1960s, the IMF
> sold gold on several occasions to replenish its holdings of currencies.
>
> •South African gold and mitigation. In the early 1970s, the IMF sold gold to
> members in amounts roughly corresponding to the amounts purchased earlier from
> South Africa; it also sold gold in connection with payments of gold for quota
> increases by some members, in order to mitigate the impact of these payments on
> the gold holdings of reserve centers.
>
> •Investment in U.S. Government securities (1956-72). In order to generate income
> to offset operational deficits, some gold was sold to the United States and the
> proceeds invested in U.S. Government securities. A significant buildup of
> reserves through income from charges prompted the IMF to reacquire this gold
> from the U.S. Government in the early 1970s.
>
> •Auctions and "restitution sales" (1976-80). The IMF sold approximately one
> third (50 million ounces) of its then-existing gold holdings following an
> agreement by its members to reduce the role of gold in the international
> monetary system. Half of this amount was sold in restitution to members at the
> then-official price of SDR 35 per ounce; the other half was auctioned to the
> market to finance the Trust Fund, which supported concessional lending by the

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.