-Caveat Lector-

>From Intellectual Capital.CoM

> Issue of the Week: The New Elderly
> by Andrew Olivastro
> Thursday, September 09, 1999
> Comments: 40 posts <Picture>
>

>  We are continually finding ways to
> increase the life span of the human race. Researchers and doctors, often with
> the help of government subsidies, toil countless hours in labs attempting to
> figure out ways to stave off disease and allow people to live longer. Meanwhile,
> health officials offer sound advice on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle to
> those of us who want to listen. The end result is the dramatic increase in life
> expectancy among certain elements of the American population.
>
> That increase does not come without a price. While arguing the negative results
> of such procedures might seem inhumane, the next 50 years will see a dramatic
> increase in America's elderly population -- an increase that, by most accounts,
> the United States is not prepared to handle.
>
> In 1900 only one in 25 Americans was over 65; by 2040, according to the Census
> Bureau, the figure will be a little less than one in four or five. Already the
> wave is rising: 33 million Americans are over 65 years old. Their ranks will
> more than double by 2030. The Society of Actuaries says Americans born in 1997
> can expect to live 76.5 years. By 2050, that life expectancy will rise to 80 and
> older.
>
> Science demonstrates that genes account for only about 50% of the aging process.
> Change in lifestyle can tip the odds in favor of a longer, healthier, more
> productive life. Just how long and healthy is still open for debate. How soon
> will we be 90 and feel and look like we are 40? Is such a day really on the
> horizon?
>
> Effects of the demographic shift
>
> Though aging is a perfectly normal, and everyday, occurrence, the impending
> demographic shift (as boomers reach retirement age over the coming decade)
> leaves one wondering how society should prepare for it. Will America be able to
> handle this crush -- and its associated problems?
>
> <Picture:  Can America prepare for the elderly? >
> Can America handle
> the boom?
> Just what those problems are depends on whom you ask. Here is a look at seven
> issues that will effect older Americans -- and the United States as a whole --
> in the coming century.
>

> •Social Security and Medicare. Entitlement programs dominate much current
> political debate because widespread and early retirement will affect the lives
> of everyone. As the number of elderly rises, so will the burden on the young of
> paying for their pensions and health care.
>
> The size of the baby-boom generation promises a simple but vast imbalance as
> they age: too few people working, paying taxes and pension contributions while
> the retired population drawing pensions and running up health costs rises.

> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.