-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 99-09-23 15:35:11 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Wow, neat stuff!   I heard Zecharia tell the audience in a
>lecture once that "Anunaki translated formally to 'The Lofty
>Ones'"

That's correct, as I recall.  The ANUnaki were the elder children of ANU,
"the High (or Lofty) One," a common title for sky-gods.  The sky or "heaven"
is, after all, Up There.  The Igigi, a different group, were the equivalent
stars in the SOUTHERN hemisphere, which set BELOW the horizon -- descending
to the "underworld," figuratively.  By the same symbolic reasoning, they
could be called the sons of Ea or Enki ["Lord of Ki," a variant of "Kur," the
primeval earth-beast] , the south-polar god who took their side against
usurper Enlil/EL-lil ("lord of the atmosphere") in a Titan-like revolt of
certain gods forced to work the "mines" (like the Titan-born Cyclopes of the
Greeks) within the earth or otherwise exiled to the world "below" (like the
Fallen Angels in the Book of Enoch or the Nefilim in Genesis).  Ea/Enki, as
you know, was the "Prometheus" of Sumeria, a "trickster" god of subtle wisdom
and a "friend of mankind" (famous as the savior of Utnapishtim, our Noah) who
took the hybrid creature's side against the evil Enlil/El,
who wanted to destroy humanity entirely in the Flood for "rebelling" as did
the Igigi.

In the Sumerian texts, it was the Igigi who revolted against being subjected
to hard labor by their brothers the Annunaki, who remained sky-borne and
aloof.  Just as in Greek mythology, the younger Olympians (Zeus would be the
equivalent of Enlil) overthrew the Old Gods of NATURE, the Titans, and the
rebellious spirit of freedom survived in the son of the leader of the Titans
and his heir, Prometheus, whom Zeus feared as rival and possible successor.
The gods hated human beings and held them in contempt.  Only rometheus, who
helped CREATE man, cared about us little creatures, to the extent of even
sacrificing himself (he was chained to a rock, his liver eaten by Zeus'
totem-eagle) to "save" us, by granting "fire from heaven," light or
INTELLIGENCE, which he STOLE from the jealous gods of the second generation,
who had already enslaved NATURE.

Sitchin (with whom I discused this point) is well aware of the parallels
between the fish-god Ea/Enki and CHRIST with His "fishes" and "fishermen"
associations, and the parallels between the Gnostic dualism of Christ vs. the
Demiurge (FALSE Creator,
identified with the wrathful war-god Jehovah) and the Sumerian cosmology of
RIVAL gods, Ea/Enki and Enlil, understood as TWINS born of Anu, but of
different mothers.
Sitchin, however, is an Israeli Jew who studied under rabbis, and naturally
takes the OPPOSITE side that I myself would support if such a duality were a
theological fact --
in his latest writings, he is a wholehearted supporter of Enlil/Jehovah and
goes as far as to justify human enslavement by the "lofty" gods, who intended
us to be mere cattle.
Me, I'd go with Ea/Enki, mankind's SAVIOR-god, and with the SON of Ea/Enki
known as Dumuzi in Sumerian, Tammuz in Babylonian/Hebrew, a dying/resurrected
"savior"
who is, even in the minds of many scholars, the archetype of our later idea
of Christ.