-Caveat Lector-

Man severs his relationship with God

Man was given privileges that no other creation had been given before. God
gave man dominion over all creatures of the earth. Man was given the right
of self-determination and thus could do whatever he desired. He alone was in
control of his destiny. Angels, on the other hand, are created to serve God
and man. Rebelling against God means instant removal from heaven. There are
no second chances. Angels can not repent after rebelling against God.

In the beginning, God created this beautiful garden in a place called Eden.
He created numerous plants and trees for humans as well as animals to eat.
He also created the tree of life, and the tree of the knowledge of good and
evil. Adam and Eve had no shame among them. God told them to eat the fruit
of the trees that He had made. He requested nothing from them and gave them
only one rule, "Do not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil."
Unfortunately for us, they broke that one rule. He told them that if they
ate the fruit from this tree, they would surely die. No where in scripture
does it indicate the fruit was an apple!

Satan, being his own devious self, saw an opportunity to make Adam sin
against God. He knew he himself could not persuade Adam to eat from the
tree. He therefore possessed the body of a serpent and attempted to persuade
Eve. Eve would not eat the fruit initially. However, Satan told Eve she
would become like God. Eve took and ate the fruit, but nothing appeared to
have happened. She then brought the fruit to Adam and asked him to eat it.
He remembered what God had told him regarding the fruit from this tree, but
Eve seemed perfectly fine. Adam unwisely ate the fruit and their eyes were
immediately opened. They knew that they were naked and attempted to cover
themselves with fig leaves. Adam was the head of the family. He should have
taken control of the situation. Note again that Eve was not aware of what
she had done until Adam ate the fruit.

God, as He normally did in the afternoon, came down in the garden to speak
with Adam and Eve. They heard Him walking toward them and hid themselves. He
called out to Adam, "Adam where are you?" Adam replied, "We're naked and
were hiding from You." God said, "Who told you that you are naked? Did you
eat from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" Adam replied, "This
woman that you gave me made me do it."

Because of their disobedience to God's commandment, they were punished for
their actions. God said to Eve, "I will greatly multiply your sorrow and
your conception; In pain you shall bring forth children; Your desire shall
be for your husband, and he shall rule over you"(1). The punishment on Eve
and hence other women was two-fold. Any woman who has given birth will
acknowledge that it is a painful experience. The expressions I saw on my
wife's face during labor led me to thank God that it was her having our
child instead of me. Eve was created to be equal to Adam and he treated her
as such. Her sin destroyed this equality and established the husband as the
head of the family--a fact that has been ignored in recent history.

Because Adam heeded the voice of his wife and ate the forbidden fruit, God
cursed the ground. Adam would now have to work to produce his own food. God
then said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and
evil." He then killed an animal and gave them the skin as clothing. The
killing of the animal was probably a traumatic event in their lives. They
had never seen death before(2). Without the shedding of blood, there can be
no remission from sin(3).

Because the tree of life was also in the garden, God drove Adam and Eve out
of Eden so that they could not eat of its fruit ever again. He then placed
angels at the east end of Eden with a flaming sword so they could not
re-enter the garden. The authority they had over the planet earth was taken
away and Satan became the god of this world.
----
Footnotes
(1) Genesis 3:16. Return to text.
(2) NKJV; Genesis 1:26 & 27 indicates that vegetation was given to both
humans and animals for food. There are no indications that Adam and Eve ate
animals prior to their sin against God. Man in his present form cannot
survive without certain nutrients from animals. We can obtain the needed
protein from plant life, but essential vitamins, such as vitamin B-12, are
only available through animal sources. It would have taken a great deal of
effort to determine the correct combinations of foods for a balanced diet.
Unlike today, they did not have the convenience of going to the local store
and purchasing needed vitamins and minerals. However, located in the garden
of Eden was the Tree of Life. The fruit from this tree probably provided
everything needed to sustain life. Initially, they may have eaten meat. I
assumed from verse 1:27 that animals did not initially eat one another.

(3) Hebrews 9:20.
http://www.ghgcorp.com/hollaway/mansever.html

Bard

We don't need a 3rd Party;  we need a 2nd Party!