-Caveat Lector-

XXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX FRIDAY, OCTOBER 15, 1999 00:58:09 ET XXX

STARR TOLD TEARFUL TRIPP: 'NEVER THINK WHAT YOU DID WAS WRONG';
DEPARTING INDEPENDENT COUNSEL REGRETS PROSECUTION OF WITNESS

**Exclusive**

Departing Independent Counsel Ken Starr has privately expressed
deep regret over a state's prosecution of one of his key
witnesses, Linda Tripp, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Starr, during recent conversations with his deputies, made known
his desire that Tripp receive the full support of the Office of
the Independent Counsel after he departs.

"She came to us, and she risked her well-being for us," Starr
told one of his deputies. "We must not, indeed we will not, let
her down."

While pledging support for Tripp, Starr warned that the office
must not be viewed as "interfering with the legal proceedings" in
Maryland.

"We must do everything in our legal power, through proper court
actions, to support our witness," Starr vowed.

Starr will formally step aside next week and be replaced by one
of his assistants, Robert Ray.

The indictment of Linda Tripp by Maryland prosecutors continues
to be one of Starr's lingering disappointments.

The DRUDGE REPORT can reveal that Starr personally conveyed his
support directly to Tripp during an emotional face-to-face
meeting.

Late in the Summer of '98, as his investigation into the Lewinsky
case neared conclusion, Starr met with media-scorned Tripp in his
Washington office.

"Never for one minute should you think what you did was wrong,"
Starr comforted a tearful Tripp during a hug.

The emotional exchange came during Tripp's only meeting with
Starr, according to sources with direct knowledge of the
conversation.

A Maryland grand jury has since indicted Tripp for taping phone
conversations with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky. If
convicted, she faces up to 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine.
A trial has been set for Jan. 18, 2000.

Tripp has asked the court to dismiss the case, arguing the
indictments against her were obtained using evidence that she
provided under a grant of federal immunity.

Tripp's defense will include supportive testimony from the Office
of Independent Counsel.

X X X X X

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.