-Caveat Lector-

earthman wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Well if I saw those tanks here in NZ , I would be shittin' myself.
>
> Peter
>
> From: "John Fisher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Go here: while you still can
> http://www.involved.com/ewolfe/misc/
> The pictures of the tanks were taken in Vancouver, but despite
> my gung-ho friends on another list, they are just pictures of tanks
> on a train being moved by the military. Nothing more. Nothing less.
> The cartoon is self explanatory.
> But the photos of the patches is a horse of a different animal.....
> I do not know those that have these patches other than from
> another list, but would trust them with my life if need be.
> I would vouch for them in a heartbeat and if these pictures
> don't make you wonder, nothing else will. By the way,
> GSA stands for General Services Administration.
> Now why would the GSA have their own police force?
> Not to mention FEMA?
>
> Has the fat lady sung yet? Perhaps she's just warming up......
>
> John

I saw a B.N. RR. sign.  Burlington Northern?  I also saw what appears to be a US
Interstate 5 sign in one of the pictures.  Does I-5 extend up into Canada?
Wouldn't they change the signs at the borders?  I remember them changing at the
NY-Québec border for I-87.

At this point I wouldn't worry about it.  I remember railloading our unit's
tanks and trucks at a railhead on Ft.Polk.  We had to ship our vehicles and
conexes to Yermo, California in the Mojave Desert for exercises at Ft.Irwin.
It's when they start offloading tanks at civilian and commercial railheads that
I'd become curious.  IMO, I wouldn't expect tanks for civilian pacification,
except for the shock factor.  I'm not sure we have what would be a good urban
assault vehicle.  Hummers aren't armored enough.  I guess we can buy from the
Brits.  They know what works in Derry and Belfast.

As an aside, I've always been curious as to why we did our own railloading.  I
know how sensitive the railroad unions are about their trains.  I wonder if the
Army owned the cars?  I just loaded and left.

--
Mark McHugh