-Caveat Lector-

----------
> From: Linda Minor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [CTRL] Clinton's dark side emerges on golf course
> Date: Thursday, October 21, 1999 4:57 PM
>
>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> It's strange how we're hearing this same story coming from every
direction
> lately.  First it was in RuMills--saying her sources had told her Clinton
is
> "clinically insane," whatever that means.  Then a few days ago the golf
> course story from the British press, quoted by J. Orlin Grabbe, whoever
he
> is.

RuMills isn't the only one who has suggested that he is clinically insane.
It is because of my background in psychology that I am troubled by much of
what I see with Clinton.

> My thoughts are that Clinton is starting to see the end of his rocky
reign
> and wondering if it was worth it.  He sold his soul for this?  And what
did
> it accomplish?
>
> Linda Minor

I too think he is evaluating his impact over the past 7 years, where he
will go from now, what he will do...It's a normal step in the process and I
think he is having difficulty with this process.  Everyone has a bad day.
People lose their tempers.  I don't put too much stock into driving golf
balls alone and being in a foul mood.  All of us have "off" days.  Most of
us (fortunately) don't have a press core documenting our every step.

The key to understanding Clinton (and I'm not claiming any expertise here)
is watching his behavioral patterns, where they change.  A BIG clue is what
seems to anger him.  I found one of the biggest insights into his
personality was the his "apology" to the country.  There was no remorse
(Big clue) and he was angry that he had to do this (Another big clue).

Hilary

House
> >> official was quoted as saying.
> >>
> >> With just over a year of his last term remaining, Mr Clinton is having
> >> cede the political spotlight to his would-be successor, Al Gore, and
> >his
> >> wife, while his ambitions for his own legacy have become bogged down
in
> >> partisan politics and bitter budget wrangling. Recently Mr Clinton has
> >taken
> >> to public bouts of introspection, and by his own admission the
> >presidential
> >> temper is starting to fray.
> >>
> >> "Some days I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, in a foul humour,"
he
> >told
> >> an audience earlier this month. "It has occurred to me really that
every
> >one
> >> of us has this little scale inside . . . on one side there's the light
> >forces
> >> and on the other side there's the dark forces in our psyche.
> >>
> >> "Life is a big struggle to try to keep things in proper balance," he
> >added.
> >>
> >> Mr Clinton's darker side was on full display last week after the
Senate
> [...]
> >the
> >> rough edge of the presidential tongue.
> >>
> >> In the past few weeks he has been heard to lash out at his
conservative
> >> enemies, unsympathetic media and even the FBI. Earlier this month, at
> >White
> >> House picnic, one reporter for Investor's Daily found himself in a
> >slanging
> >> match with Mr Clinton, who then gave instructions that the journalist
be
> >> banned from all such functions in the future.
> >>
> >> Mr Clinton's frustration was also evident recently when he reflected
on
> >the
> >> stalled peace process in Northern Ireland and compared the opposing
sides
> >in
> >> the conflict to drunks addicted to violence.
> >>
> >> The President's periodic bursts of ill humour may be partly
attributable
> >> disappointment with the campaign being run by his Vice-President,
whose
> >> election Mr Clinton sees as crucial to preserving his own place in
> >history.
> >>
> >> He has been vociferous in his support of Mr Gore, but last weekend the
> >> front-runner for the Democratic nomination clearly hinted that he
might
> >forgo
> >> Mr Clinton's help. Many voters see Mr Gore as tainted by the scandals
of
> >the
> >> Clinton presidency.
> >>
> >> The President is also said to be finding it hard to adjust to playing
> >second
> >> fiddle to the political ambitions of Hillary Clinton. While he jokes
> >about
> >> joining the "Senate spouses club", associates say he feels more than a
> >twinge
> >> of envy that his political career is winding down, unglamorously, at a
> >moment
> >> when hers may just be taking off.
> >>
> >> Some associates say Mr Clinton is still determined to leave an imprint
> >from
> >> his final year in office and is gearing up for a battle over spending
> >with
> >> Republicans in Congress. "He's been in great spirits and he has lots
of
> >> fight," Terence McAuliffe, a Democratic fund-raiser and Clinton
> >confidant,
> >> told The Washington Post.
> >>
> >> But Mr Clinton's public comments have taken on a mournful, valedictory
> >tone,
> >> and his introductions to White House visitors now tend to start with
the
> >> formula "as our time here draws to a close".
> >>
> >> On a recent trip to New York a park guide joked that the President
could
> >> always get a job with the National Park Service. "I can work cheap,
I've
> >got
> >> a good pension," Mr Clinton replied.
> >>
> >> But White House insiders say that for all the jocularity, the future
is
> >> weighing heavily on his mind.
> >>
> >> But the only thing that Mr Clinton has stated with absolute certainty
> >about
> >> his plans after leaving the White House is that they will involve a
large
> >> amount of golf.
> >>
> >> When he climbed, dripping, into his limousine after Sunday's impromptu
> >and
> >> solitary round of golf, his aides declined to say what he had scored.
> >Perhaps
> >> he was not even counting.
> >
> >DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
> >==========
> >CTRL is a discussion and informational exchange list. Proselyzting
> propagandic
> >screeds are not allowed. Substance—not soapboxing!  These are sordid
> matters
> >and 'conspiracy theory', with its many half-truths, misdirections and
> outright
> >frauds is used politically  by different groups with major and minor
> effects
> >spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL