-Caveat Lector-

Indiana town grits its teeth over fluoridation vote

Copyright © 1999 Nando Media
Copyright © 1999 Associated Press

By REX W. HUPPKE

CONNERSVILLE, Ind. (October 31, 1999 7:24 p.m. EST
http://www.nandotimes.com) - Conspiracy theories are flying, teeth are
decaying and a part-time magician is gulping down toothpaste to make a
point. It's enough to make an outsider think there's something in the water.

Actually, the issue gripping this eastern Indiana city on the eve of Tuesday's
election is what's not in the water: fluoride.

Dentists desire it, a group of safe-water activists fear it and City Council
candidates in Tuesday's election wish the subject would just disappear.

Connersville, population 15,550, is the largest city in Indiana without
fluoridated water. Studies show the city has a 20 percent higher rate of
cavities than the state average.

"Not only do they have more cavities, but it advances at such a fast rate, it's
a real problem," says John Roberts, a local dentist.

Even so, two previous fluoridation campaigns have been drilled to defeat.
And as elections near, dentists and concerned citizens insist reluctant
candidates take a stand on fluoridation.

In a smoke-filled barber shop, outgoing Councilman Virgle Carey sits amid
a group of men shouting their "expert" opinions on fluoridation. Carey just
shakes his head.

"It's the No. 1 issue around here," he says, chuckling. "I'm sure glad I won't
have to deal with it."

Mary Hendershott and the opposition group Citizens for Safe Water say the
introduction of fluoride into public-water systems is a government
conspiracy, a public-relations ploy that has duped Americans into believing
it's safe.

The group claims corporations and the U.S. government are disposing of
toxic waste by slowly diluting it into drinking water and calling it fluoride, and
the more than 200 million Americans who drink fluoridated water are losing
brain cells and developing brittle bones with each gulp.

During a public meeting on the issue, Rusty Ammerman - a fluoride
supporter and traveling magician - consumed an entire tube of fluoride
toothpaste just to prove it wouldn't kill him.

The anti-fluoride faction claimed the magician used some sleight of hand to
switch to a tube of non-fluoridated paste.

"In all my travels I see all different kinds, and you realize that each town has
its issue," Ammerman says. "But it's so embarrassing to think that places
like Nimrod, Minn., have fluoride and we don't."

Fluoridating water systems began in 1945, when the city of Grand Rapids,
Mich., agreed to be a test site. An 11-year study found the cavity rate
among Grand Rapids children dropped by more than 60 percent.

Last month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention described
fluoridation as one of the century's most significant advances in public
health.

Hendershott isn't convinced. She claims national organizations supporting
fluoridation receive corporate kickbacks. Nothing has been proven.

"The more they talk, the better we sound," Roberts says of the anti-fluoride
front. "I don't know anything that's been researched more thoroughly than
fluoridation. And it's never been found to cause any of the problems they
claim."

Steve Wingate

California Director
SKYWATCH INTERNATIONAL