-Caveat Lector-

The Biggest Reason to be a Gun Owner
© 1999 Mark E. Howerter
http://www.otherside.net/gunowner.htm
"The Other Side of the News"

September 20, 1999

I haven't always been a strong advocate of Second Amendment rights. I
have always been raised around guns, but as far as the importance of
the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms goes I am somewhat of a
recent convert.

I grew up on a hundred-acre farm with 70 acres of timber and only 30
tillable. We always had guns on the farm. We hunted on the timberland
and so did a lot of our friends from town. I got my first shotgun when
I was a young boy, but it wasn't until I saw the information I am
about to share with you that I became convinced of the importance of
the Second Amendment.

The Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership group chronicles
the relationship between gun restriction, confiscation and the
genocide that has taken place around the world. Here is the record. It
speaks for itself.

*The Soviet Union established gun control in 1929. From 1929 to 1953,
20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were
rounded up and exterminated.

*Turkey established gun control in 1911. From 1915 to 1917 1.5 million
Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

*China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1976 20 million
Anti-Communists, Christians, political dissidents and pro-reform
groups, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

*Germany established gun control in 1938. From 1939 to 1945 13 million
Jews, Gypsies, mentally ill people and other "mongrelized peoples,"
unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

*Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981 100,000
Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

*Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979 300,000
Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

*Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977 1 million
"educated people," unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
executed.

If you add up the numbers, that amounts to more than 55 million
innocent people who have been slaughtered by their own governments.
The first step was always the same--rendering citizens defenseless by
restricting or confiscating their firearms.

Freedom-loving people are at far more risk from their own government
than from all the criminals in the world combined! An armed man/woman
has a chance to defend himself/herself against any would-be gangster
or criminal. An unarmed man/woman has no chance at all against
anybody, especially an oppressive, tyrannical government.

An armed citizenry is the only force that insures freedom. It isn't
the militias that can insure freedom. It is simply the fact that if
nearly every home owner is also a gun owner there isn't an army in the
world big or strong enough to take the freedom of an armed populace
like that, and tyrants know it.

Listen to Adolf Hitler: "The most foolish mistake we could possibly
make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History
shows that all conquerors who have allowed the subject races to carry
arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go
so far as to say that the supply of arms to the underdogs is a sine
qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty." (Adolf Hitler H.R.
Trevor-Roper, Hitler's Table Talks 1941-1944 London: Widenfeld and
Nicolson, 1953, p. 425-426)

Even Mahatma Gandhi agreed that an armed citizenry is of extreme
importance. "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India,
history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as
the blackest." (Mahatma Gandhi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", M. K.
Gandhi, page 446)

The purpose of owning a gun is not to be a part of a militia, wear
camouflage, and play soldier. The hope is that as long as we enjoy an
armed citizenry we will never have to use those guns for anything
other than sport. I would rather own guns and never need them than to
not own one and wish I had.

Look what Jesus himself said: "When a strong man armed keepeth his
palace, his goods are in peace." (Jesus Christ, Luke 11:21-22 King
James Version) He also said if his disciples didn't own a sword they
better sell their clothes and go buy one. (Luke 22:36)

"...but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form
an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the
liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if
at all inferior to them in discipline and use of arms, who stand ready to
defend their rights..."
-Alexander Hamilton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     The Patriot Resource Center:
                                  http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6627/