-Caveat Lector-

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, david wrote:
>I certainly agree with you about anything being shoved down a person's throat
>or pushed upon them at the point of a gun. I would not be appreciative of such
>arrogance,coercion,or intimidation. However, I disagree that African-Americans
>gained their fellow citizens respect by burning anything down. I was there in
>the midst of it and recall the dialogue developed through the efforts of
>leaders ie Martin Luther King.

Who was only listened to by the establishment after more radical blacks,
such as the Black Muslims and the Black Panthers, started talking about
(and initiating) more violent 'solutions'...MLK suddenly didn't seem so
'radical' as he had once seemed to those who perferred to maintain the
status quo...

No one bothered with MLK until young black men started wearing
paramilitary gear and toting semi-automatics....

>them.  There is no comparison between the civil rights abuses heaped upon
>African-Americans and today's or yesterday's American homosexual community.
>#1 African Americans had no choice and were literally forced into the
>situation that they found themselves in . They could not hide in a closet if
>they wanted to.

Bull.  Many light skinned blacks sought to 'pass' as whites, keeping
their African heritage hidden in a closet...

>#2 African Americans were not allowed to own property,vote,get an
>education,live where ever they wanted or work at jobs that they would have
>chosen for themselves. They were publicly humiliated and not allowed to mingle
>with anglos. No homosexual has been denied these rights!

Sure they have.  Happens everyday.

>#3 This was a generational abuse. Not just an individual indignity that they
>faced. Their parents and siblings and grandparents were all contemptuosly
>treated. Homosexuals can not say this either.

Has absolutely no bearing on the matter.  Abuse is abuse, whether it is
heaped on an individual or on his or her entire family...

>#4 African Americans did not seek societies stamp of approval of their
>actions. They sought legal protection to be treated as human beings.

Which is what gays are seeking, also.

>#5 Half of the citizens of the US believed that the ill treatment that they
>saw black families receive was so wrong that they were willing to give their
>own life in war to end it.

And at one time in our history, the majority of citizens viewed slavery
as perfectly acceptable.  They also approved of the genocide of Native
Americans.  People who considered themselves 'good Christians' quoted the
Bible to justify both.

Again, your statement has absolutely no bearing on whether homosexuals
should be able to exercise the same rights as heterosexuals or not.

>Thankfully ,there are laws that prevent Christians and all religions from
>using the force of a gun as an evangelistic tool in the US.

Tell that to the relatives of the victims who have been shot and killed
by 'good Christians' at abortion centers.

June ;-)

                 No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
                 No comfortable feel in any member --
                 No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
                 No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds, --
                 November!
                             -- Thomas Hood:  No!

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
                        revcoal AT connix DOT com
 It is UNLAWFUL to send unsolicited commercial email to this email
 address per United States Code Title 47 Sec. 227.  I assess a fee of
 $500.00 US currency for reading and deleting such unsolicited commercial
 email.  Sending such email to this address denotes acceptance of these
 terms.  My posting messages to Usenet neither grants consent to receive
 unsolicited commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial
 email.