-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 11/28/99 4:08:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Thankfully ,there are laws that prevent Christians and all religions from
>  using the force of a gun as an evangelistic tool in the US.  If you have
>  experienced such a thing you do have recourse.And lastly I did not see any
>  other posts that pointedly expressed a Christian belief other than mine,so
>  must assume that you meant those remarks toward me. I do not assume that
the
>  world revolves around me or any single group of people. I do not like in
> your
>  face tactics but if you truly beleive such assaults help win people to your
>  cause---well, only time will tell if they are effective.     Karen Kerr

Do not think this is directed at anyone in particular (if I might speak for
nessie).  There are many on this list that espouse Christian views.  The FACT
that Christian thought has dominated the Western Tradition for hundreds of
years cannot be denied.  This is what makes comments like those of nessie and
other have validity.  There is a view in SOME Christian circles that TAKE FOR
GRANTED the inherent "rightness" and "superiority" of their viewpoint, and
also take for granted that Christian thought dominates the mindset of this
country so that they can espouse their views to the detriment of others with
impunity, knowing that the majority of people will at least pay lip service
to what they are saying if not openly defending it.  Christianity AS IT IS
PRACTICED BY ORGANIZED MAINSTREAM CHURCHES is remarkably intolerant, in that
ALL OTHER religious groups (except perhaps a small number of Jews) are doomed
to be destroyed unless they convert.  To be sure their are other groups that
do this as well, so I do not paint the established church as the only
culprit, neither do I presume that all members of even the established
churches hold to this view.  But this idea manifests in the way in which
these Christian groups interact with others.  The idea that their position is
the only one that offers salvation and a moral imperative to "save" others,
even from themselves, makes the tactics described almost inevitable, even if
the best intentions are meant.
Do not take my words to be a diatribe against anyone's belief, or faith,
since such things are of individual import, thus even if one wants to follow
a system that I wholly disagree with I will defend their right to practice
and preach it (though in a "Libertarian" framework, which does not allow
their practice to encroach upon my right to be free from the actions of
others that I consider harmful or a nuisance to me).
There is much to be commended within the Christian system, and much to hold
in contempt, it is best to examine it AND all other religious systems in
light of one's own belief structure and come to conclusions that have meaning
and validity to your own life, based upon your own faith.

***********************************
"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, "The Matrix".

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents.
  We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of seas of infinity,
and it is not meant that we should
  voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
hitherto harmed us little; but someday
  the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying
vistas of reality, and of our
  frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
or flee from the deadly light into the
  peace and safety of a new dark age."  H.P.Lovecraft; "The Call of Cthulhu"