-Caveat Lector-

Terry, I didn't say I *believed* that hypothesis...only that someone
suggested it. (As it happens, it was Robert Graves in a novel called *King
Jesus*, which is probably Graves's oddest book. Hugh Schoenfeld's *The
Passover Plot* and its sequels say much the same thing.) However, because it
involves a conspiracy, whether genuine or not, I'd suggest that it actually
*is* a legitimate topic for this list.

Brief personal statement: I'm a Christian. The Jesus of the Gospels speaks
to me. The Apostle Paul speaks to me. When I read the Bible, I don't expect
to find an absolutely correct historical record. The Bible is a *faith
document*...the records of two thousand years of a people's dealings with
God. When I read about Jesus' birth, his Passion, his death and
Resurrection, I don't go looking for validation from the archaeological
record, *because it doesn't matter to me* what the archaeologists think. If
they never find *any* evidence that Jesus actually existed, it *still*
doesn't matter to me, because I know in my heart, in my soul, in my deepest
center, that Jesus Christ is real and that he is the Way, the Truth, and the
Life. I don't need physical proof to know that.