-Caveat Lector-

from:alt.conspiracy
As, always, Caveat Lector
-----
Subject: TURMEL: Pauline Morrissette's WTO Seattle LETS Report
From: <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ">[EMAIL PROTECTED] </
A> (John Turmel)
Date: Tue, 21 December 1999 12:38 AM EST

Friday November 26th to Friday December 3rd, 1999
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.

     This would be our last opportunity before the Millennium to
single handedly bring attention to L.E.T.S. and the power it
would give us if we could link globally. With the internet this
could be done almost overnight. So, now to the WTO, the World
Trade Organization. The world is looking on Seattle where the
world's richest man, Bill Gates who accumulated his wealth with
Microsoft, just so happens to live?

     Are we being guided? This is a big gamble and the hundreds
of thousands of L.E.T.Sers out there, who we wish could be here
to back us up on this one, all we ask is that you pray for us and
perhaps send off an urgent message to Bill Gates via his e-mail
at [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tell Mr. Gates we want interest free
banking for all L.E.T.Sers world wide. For those who have already
taken the initiative to do just that, we say thank you and God
Bless. There are many radical groups here this week in Seattle,
but, I am sure we must look the most radical. More of what we are
doing and what has happened so far at the Battle in Seattle.

     I departed Ottawa at 5 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 25th. I drove
with my mother and friend Robert Cutler to Toronto where I would
board Via Rails westbound train to Vancouver, then Via Trailhead
Bus to Seattle. The reason we choose this mode of transportation
first of all it was the most inexpensive way to get to Seattle.
If you are ready to rough it a little and go Coach it is a huge
savings over flying or anything else being offered. John went
before me to set things up in Seattle for our Headquarters as I
had business to complete in Ottawa. My train pulled out on time
11:00 a.m.
     My first day and night on the train proved to be very, very
interesting and again I felt a certain peace of mind that things
were connecting and I was not alone on this journey out West. My
first contact, and I guess you can say now, my first new friend
was Marlyne Mellor of St. Pierre, Manitoba. She was our
Conductor-Hostess. As she explained to two gentlemen how to take
the little hammer and knock out the windows in the event of a
mishap, I looked on. Most people did not look amused, especially
after two trains had already been derailed this month on this
very line. I said to her I thought they should have backups. What
if they fall asleep or worst yet, are not even in the coach?

Marlyne then put me in charge of my own hammer and my own window.
I felt much more secure knowing where everything was. Marlyne and
I had many wonderful exchanges during her stint from Toronto to
Manitoba where she was then replaced.

     I was seated beside Lorraine c. Crouch of Columbia,
Missouri. Lorraine was also an activist and also destined for
Seattle to report to K.O.P.N. Community Radio in Columbia on
movements at WTO. She was stopping over in Vancouver to do a
poetry reading. I was privy to her doing a couple of her poems on
the train and enjoyed them immensely.

     The next group of people all came to me at different
intervals of the trip and this group were to be my faithful
companions for the duration. Each from different walks of life,
yet all of like mind. This was a most wonderful experience for
me. Our common gathering spot was the dome coach and throughout
the trip, this is where we spent much of our time together. As I
had spent most of my day in travel and had not eaten properly, I
decided to visit their dining car and check it out.

     I was seated at the 9 p.m. session. Helen and Arch Jones
asked if they could join me, I was delighted to have their
company. Retired folks, but also very active, they were heading
home to Prince George, B.C. They were also travelling in the
coach. We talked of the beautiful scenery and I learned that Arch
had at one time studied painting with Tom Thompson, one of the
Group of 7, a very famous group of Canadian painters displayed in
galleries all over. I told them of my quest in Seattle, how we
wanted to link Global LET Systems and how they worked. After
dinner we retired back to the coach and I gave Helen and Arch one
of John's books "The Adventures of John "The Engineer" Turmel" to
look over. I then went to the Dome car to take in some sights.

     In the Dome was a young man from New Zealand, John
McCullough,Thunder River Farm, P.O. Box 79, Murchison, South
Island, New Zealand. John and I struck up conversation. It wasn't
hard as I had been to New Zealand and had things I could talk
about. John was in Canada because he had been tree farming in New
Zealand and had a special type of timber that he wanted to sell.

He came in hopes of making a contact, plus he was thinking about
moving to Canada but wanted to see it all. So what better way
than by train. He had already been inspired by my next contact:
Mady Irons c/o Falls Provincial Park, General Delivery, Campbell
River, B.C. V9W 4Z8 PH.286-9724. Mady had a sleeper and was
travelling first class but as she later told me, it was a real
sleeper in first class, people were bored. So she also would
congregate with us in the dome car. Mady does Tarot card readings
and has her business called Dragonfly Illusions, she does Life
Path Readings, Psychic Development Classes, Awareness Workshops
etc. Mady had come back to read John's cards, they were in the
very front seats with table and I was in the very back seat. Each
time Mady would gaze up, I couldn't help but smile. I sensed a
very profound connection between her and John then later found we
three had a connection going on. After the reading John
introduced us. We had a couple of small stops to let off
passengers and would witness the changing weather from place to
place, snow then no snow. I am sure we all spoke to many people
at different intervals but we all seemed to end up looking for
each other and back to the dome. I slept in the dome that night
with several others, they slept on the floor, I slept all 3
nights across two seats in the dome car quite comfortably.

     The following morning Helen and Arch were looking for me.
Helen said she had stayed up most of the night going over John's
book and had many questions, would I join them so she could take
some notes. They were looking for some answers as to how this all
could help their son. Their son and a gentleman by the name of
Michael Windsor, had gone to school together with Bill Gates.

Michael Windsor is still working with Microsoft. Their son
switched careers and moved to the Yukon to do tree farming,
something, he is still unfamiliar with and needs help. He has
over 40 acres and horses. When she told me this, I don't know
what hit me first, the fact that I had spent several hours with a
New Zealander who was an experienced tree farmer or the
connection to Bill Gates. I was taken aback.

     But, I first took the direction that I thought would most
excite them and the one I could do something about right away. I
told Helen and Arch of John McCullough of New Zealand and ask if
I could send him back and could they talk to him? It was done.

Then we spoke of my quest to get to Bill Gates to ask the big
question. Helen said she still had contact with Michael Windsor
and I was to let her know how we made out. The whole time this
exchange was going on, yet another young man across the aisle
listened on and I could see with much interest. Tyler Rittinger
of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan was to become yet another of my
faithful companions for the duration. He seemed to be with us in
the dome car ever after that session. Tyler was supposed to get
off the train in Saskatoon, and we had all basically said our
goodbyes to him, but the following morning I was alerted that
Tyler hadn't left. He made a fast call to his girlfriend and said
he was going all the way with us. We were all delighted with this
change of plans.

     We had many sessions of telling jokes and laughter prevailed
throughout most of this trip. The diner proved to be too
expensive and since my new friends all ate in the dome car, each
stop we would jump off and get fruit etc. and enjoy each others
company. Jeff Page was yet another of our group, Jeff from
Knowlton, Quebec was a studious quiet young man and yet he seemed
to laugh the hardest and although he said he couldn't remember
jokes or tell them, he sure was having a great time listening to
ours. Jeff was just taking the trip to see the West but I have a
feeling he got more out of this trip than he had bargained for.

By the end of our journey you could tell we had made solid
friendships because just before the train reached Vancouver
Station, all were quiet, the first time in this whole trip. This
reflective time was letting us know that be it one day or one
year, when you bond as this group did, it is hard to say goodbye.
     The scenery from province to province was very different.
Our main stops were Sudbury Jct. and Sioux Lookout in Ontario.
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Alberta,
Jasper, Alberta lots of snow, very beautiful, then through the
rockies into Kamloops B.C. then Vancouver.

     When we arrived in Vancouver it was a matter of hours until
the last Grey Cup Football Game of the Millennium, Calgary Vs.
Hamilton. Tyler and Jeff were making plans. Mady was taking John
to Falls Provincial Park, her home, then John would meet up with
Helen and Arch. Oh yes that connection was made and John will go
to the Yukon to meet with their son. Wow. We exchanged addresses,
had a photo shoot, did out hugging and kissing and parted ways.

     I then had to call my LETS contact, Brian Lutes. John had
stayed with Brian on the way out also for a couple of days. The
decision was made that I stay over in Vancouver that night to
talk with some people about LETS. Brian instructed me to take the
Sky Train East to the very end, a 30 min. ride to the Prince
George Station. This is one of the most modern rail systems I
have ever been on and the bridge going over the Fraser River is
so high the view is spectacular. At the other end I called Brian
to tell him I had arrived. He came to collect me on his souped-up
bicycle. The bicycle had a small trailer attached in which Brian
put my luggage. He asked if I wanted to ride the bicycle home
since John had. I told him I was not as brave as John and since I
was unfamiliar with my route and traffic, I would simply follow
behind. On the way to Brian's home, he made a fast stop to show
me Quibble Creek. As I stood on a plank in the middle of this
shallow creek, I saw 4 and 5 pound salmon, dead. Brian explained
they came here from the Fraser River to spawn and then die. He
also told me that at night you could here them thrashing about
from his home.

     At Brian's home the first thing was to direct  me to my
sleeping quarters. I dropped my bags in and then he took me to
his computer to show me what he and John had accomplished during
John's stay. The prayer to Bill Gates was now on the net in
audio. I was thrilled. Brian is an electrical engineer very adept
with computers and stepping John through this and how to do it
was a big help. I then went to have a couple of hours sleep
before my 4 p.m. meeting with some neighbours and friends.

     After that meeting we had to scurry off to yet another
meeting with Albert Javant and his lady friend Sheila. Albert was
the founder of the Canadian Fiji Senior Association and was
looking for answers on how to integrate the young and old. Albert
is from India but moved to Fiji as many Indian people had. He
taught school there and was responsible for the Cox Commission to
give equal rights to all teachers. 50% of the Indian people in
Fiji get their revenue from Sugar cane farming. Many got 30-year
leases to farm sugar cane. These leases are now expiring and the
Fiji people are refusing to renew them, forcing the Indian people
out from their farms and their homes. Albert tells me the best
possible place they could go would be some place like Australia
where the weather is compatible and sugar cane farming exist. But
how to get them there is the problem.

     Sheila explained she had been helping Albert cook all day in
preparation for his quests. We had a delightful meal, traditional
soup, taro a large root boiled, with sweet potatoes, fried
bananas, salad, main course consisted of beef with traditional
pita bread. It was wonderful. I then spoke to them about LETS how
they could use it. They saw the beauty and the social aspect of
it. Albert's address is 111-7666 -119A Street, Delta, B.C. C4W
6N3 Phone 604 - 591-6226.

     The following morning, another ride on the Sky Train to the
station, then onto the Trail Head Bus to Seattle with only 5
passengers aboard. We had  a delightful driver who kept us amused
all the way. We cleared customs without a problem. John met me at
the Seattle station. They call Seattle the city of 7 hills like
Rome. These weren't hills, these were more like mountains all
pouring into a basin of water Lake Washington. Then it was
straight to the A-1 Motel to drop off luggage and I have a down
day. Then it was to work planning out our strategy with a
schedule of events from the local newspaper.

     The following day was the big march. I have never been part
of anything this large before. All the downtown streets were
clogged with protesters. We had been passing out L.E.T.S. prayers
to them all day and decided to take a break for coffee. I went to
get us a couple of coffee's from a Starbucks. There were some
benches and just in front of me, a peaceful demonstration of some
Chinese meditating. All of a sudden a large thunder and smoke, it
sounded like a bomb had gone off. This peaceful demonstration was
turning ugly. A young girl I had been talking to on the bench,
turned to me with a look of horror on her face and said "what was
that?" I said that whatever it was, I didn't want to stick around
and find out. People were running frantically away from the
smoke. The employees of Starbucks were shutting down the place
and running. I said to John "Lets get out of here." We made our
way out of the confusion and came upon a restaurant called the
Hurricane Cafe. A state of emergency had been called. As we
ordered food, we watched live coverage of what was going on a few
streets away. Looting, store windows being kicked in, the Mayor
of Seattle who called the state of emergency and placed the
Seattle downtown under martial law with a 7:00p.m. curfew. The
buses were being rerouted and it we eventually got out of the
downtown. We went back to our Motel and watched live coverage
throughout the night of the turbulent scene on Seattle streets.

     The following day, security was pumped up because President
Clinton would be in town. The National Guard were called in and
the presence of militia and the hundreds of police officers in
riot gear were a little unnerving. Yet as John and I picketed,
even the police officers would give us a thumbs up with our
"Abolish Interest Rates" message. One officer even asked for our
flyer. Throughout the week and the different marches, many photos
were taken. Some people told John they had seen him on Channel 5
T.V. in Seattle doing his poem. Others recognized us from Attac
conference in  France. One recognized John from the Arizona
Republic's "World's Richest Pauper" article. Three reporters from
Belgium were keen after we told them we had been in Antwerp and
Betekom this summer with this same message about L.E.T.S. We met
a Mr. Cornelius, Mac Harb's Campaign manager from Ottawa. We told
him both John and I had run against Mac in different elections.

Ralph Nader was in town. His session was sold out. But we did get
to see him speak at the waterfront market demonstration. I am
sure John's hard hat stuck in his mind. Many people asked if we
were linked to Jubilee 2000. Jubilee 2000 wants to cancel the
debts of the poorest nations. We want to cancel only the
cancerous interest on debt for all nations.

      During my week in Seattle we were part of all major
demonstrations. I had made my sign prior to leaving Ottawa. I got
a large white sheet and I had stenciled on in 15" letters
L.E.T.S. on first line, a large stop sign in middle and the last
line the word POVERTY, with pictures of Bill Gates on either side
of the stop sign. John managed to hold one side plus his own sign
Abolish Interst Rates, we paraded with the rest of the protesters
and had many photographs taken and handed out a lot more
literature. Many people interviewed John and took his literature.

        Prior to this last march John and I had taken the bus out
to Microsoft campus. We went over the Governor Rossilini bridge
causeway which was a spectacular ride and view of Seattle.
Microsoft Campus was pretty new looking and very Sci-Fi looking.
We marched around there for awhile and then took a bus back.

     I pulled out of Seattle on Amtrak 4:45P.m. Went all along
Lake Washinton waterfront. The many large yaughts were well lit
up for Christmas, it was quiet the sight to behold. We passed the
U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln No 72, an aircraft carrier docked in
Everett, Washington. The train ride back was not as eventful as
coming out. Met one young lady who had been in jail for the last
4 days and she explained the procedure they had to go through.
All who were arrested at the WTO had refused to give police their
names or addresses. So she showed me her arrest warrant and all
it had on it was "Jane WTO" as name, a real souvenir, huh. Glad I
didn't get one.

     So that's a report on our last anti-poverty meeting of the
millennium.

--
John C. "The Engineer" Turmel, Founder, Abolitionist Party of Canada
915-2045 Carling Ave., Ottawa, K2A 1G5, Tel/Fax: 613-728-2196