Subject: Scandal at the Queen's bank
From: "Liberius" <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]
unet.cy</A>
Date: Sun, 12 December 1999 06:04 AM EST

'Coutts made $45m offer to pay off rabbi'

The rabbi, the Queen's bank
and the missing millions

Tony Thompson, Crime Correspondent
Sunday December 12, 1999
The Observer
www.newsunlimited.co.uk

Coutts & Co, personal bankers to the Queen, offered $45 million to
a customer who had threatened to expose an alleged fraud and
money-laundering ring operating within its New York branch, The
Observer can reveal.

The deal, which would have cancelled out an outstanding loan, was
offered to businessman Rachamim Anatian after he claimed to have
uncovered a range of illegal activities at the American branch.
The branch was subsequently shut down with losses of $50 million
and its activities are currently the subject of investigations by
the Federal Reserve Bank and the Manhattan District Attorney's
office. Coutts says the accusations are 'without substance' and
denies any wrongdoing.

In addition to the $45 million, Coutts, through its legal
representatives, also discussed giving Anatian shares valued at up
to $10 million to resolve the dispute which began when the bank
allegedly backed out of an agreement to help Anatian establish a
television shopping network by lending him $100 million.

Anatian demanded that the bank fulfil its commitment or compensate
him and threatened to go public on what he had learnt about the
bank's operations.

He claimed to have been sent to Monaco to attend a seminar
organised by the bank where he was taught systems for concealing
money abroad, evading taxes through fraudulent charitable
contributions, and techniques that could be used for
money-laundering. When Anatian refused to accept the settlement,
Coutts sued him for the outstanding loan.

Even after it began collection proceedings, Coutts remained
willing to write off the loan. In a letter obtained by The
Observer, lawyers acting for the bank write: 'Notwithstanding its
decision to proceed to collect the debt owed to it, Coutts remains
ready and willing to discuss a resolution which would not have an
unduly harsh effect of Mr Anatian and his family.'

Coutts won the case but Anatian is appealing. He is not the only
person involved in legal action with the bank's New York branch.
According to papers in two other cases filed at the US Supreme
Court, between 1995 and 1997, staff at the branch are alleged to
have taken kickbacks, signed up clients who were embroiled in
major criminal trials, hired consultants with reputations for
breaching banking regulations and made multi-million-dollar loans
without adequate security. All the allegations remain unproved and
are denied by Coutts.

The closure of the New York branch was followed by the closure of
branches in Beverly Hills and San Diego. At the time of the
closure, a bank spokesman said: 'In the United States, there were
a small number of significant problems and when we examined the
operation we decided to close it down.'

The investigation by the Federal Reserve Bank is understood to be
focussing on the actions of four senior employees at Coutts New
York, all of whom have subsequently had their contracts with the
bank terminated. A Federal Reserve spokesman confirmed that
generally such files would only be passed on if there was evidence
of criminal activity. No charges have yet be laid.

The four former staff, all of whom dealt with Anatian, claimed
their actions were authorised by Coutts at the very highest
levels. The bank claims they acted alone. One former Coutts
employee, who asked not to be named but knew the four well, told
The Observer: 'There is no doubt in my mind that when I left, they
[the four employees] were taking on some business which was
obviously very, very risky. I told them not to do it, that it
would blow up in their faces, but they did not listen.'

On termination of their employment, the four are understood to
have been given indemnities in which Coutts agrees to cover the
cost of any legal actions against them. The bank has provided them
with funds to meet their 'living costs' for several months.

Among the lawyers who represented Anatian in negotiations is Barry
Slotnick, one of the most famous and respected attorneys in the
United States who has represented the likes of actor Anthony Quinn
and Mafia boss John Gotti.

When details of the proposed settlement with Anatian were put to
Slotnick, he told The Observer : 'I cannot confirm or deny any
details of what was said. All I can confirm is that I had talks
with the lawyers from Coutts about Anatian and that the
discussions were labelled "settlement talks".'

When it was put to the bank that they had offered to pay off the
loan, a Coutts spokesperson told The Observer: 'That did not
happen, we did not make any offer to do that. We deny the
allegation.'

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 1999

Scandal at the Queen's bank

Financiers advised wealthy rabbi to evade
tax and launder cash in pursuit of $100m deal.
Tony Thompson reports

Sunday December 12, 1999
The Observer
www.newsunlimited.co.uk

Mario Economou sat at his desk with his head in his hands and
began to sob. The thirty-something Vice President and Client
Relationship Officer at the New York branch of Coutts & Co,
probably the most prestigious private bank in the world, knew it
was only a matter of time before his whole life came crashing down
around him.

For two years he had enjoyed everything the elite world of private
banking had to offer - flying around the world to meet wealthy
clients, $300 dollar lunches for two and regular dinners at some
of New York's most expensive restaurants. But now that world was
coming to an end. Three of his colleagues had lost their jobs in
the midst of a scandal - and Mario knew he would be next.

The seeds of disaster had been sown three years earlier when more
than half of the senior staff at Coutts New York left en masse to
join arch rival banking group Julius Baer. The staff took
virtually all of their clients with them, representing business
and deposits worth tens of millions of pounds. Almost overnight,
the New York branch of Coutts went from being a major contender to
fighting for its very survival.

New customers were urgently needed and existing customers were
encouraged to increase the amount of business they were involved
in. Pressure for results came from the highest levels and the
solution that a group of staff at the branch adopted was a radical
one.

Between 1995 and 1997, according to papers filed in three separate
civil cases at the US Supreme Court, four key members of New York
branch staff are alleged to have taken kickbacks, signed up
clients who were embroiled in major criminal trials, arranged for
customers to attend seminars where they were taught techniques of
money laundering and tax evasion, hired consultants with
reputations for breaching banking regulations and made
multimillion dollar loans without adequate security. One former
Coutts employee, who asked not to be named, told The Observer :
'There is no doubt in my mind that when I left, they were taking
on some business which was obviously very, very risky. They became
very aggressive in the search for business. I told them not to do
it, that it would blow up in their faces, but they did not
listen.'

According to one of the civil cases, one customer who experienced
the new aggressive tactics was Rachamim Anatian. An orthodox rabbi
and entrepreneur, he had become wealthy after co-founding the USA
Detergents company. Anatian had been wined and dined by the bank
since 1993 and finally joined in 1995. Soon afterwards, Anatian
set up his own television shopping network company, GSN, and began
planning to expand. Coutts, eager for business, encouraged him and
suggested that Anatian float GSN on the stock exchange. They
pledged to provide 20 per cent of the capitalisation - around $100
million - to assist in a programme of purchasing television
stations to secure a minimum audience for the shopping network.
Had the deal gone ahead, the company would have been the ninth
largest television company in the United States and would have
given Anatian a personal wealth approaching $500m.

At the time, Coutts had a loan limit of $14m per customer. In
order to circumvent this, the bank, through Economou, suggested
that Anatian set up seven separate trusts in Monaco. Each could
receive a loan to the maximum lender limit and then Anatian could
'borrow' the money from the trusts to complete the business deal.

A trip to Monaco was arranged and Anatian, along with his wife and
three business colleagues, flew with Economou and three other
Coutts workers. They were picked up at the airport by two Rolls
Royces. After a short tour, each member of the party was booked
into their own suite at the Hotel de Paris, one of the most
exclusive hotels in Monaco. The seminar, given by an independent
company hired by the bank, began the next day but was not what
anyone had expected. It began with a discussion about basic money
management but, according to Anatian, quickly moved on to discuss
ways of evading taxes by using fraudulent charitable
contributions. There was also discussion about disguising the
origin of funds - money laundering - and hiding money overseas.

Anatian was horrified and, once back in New York, refused to have
anything to do with Monaco or moving money overseas. Economou was
initially furious but eventually suggested setting up seven
limited liability companies in the USA which Coutts used to issue
loans totalling around $42m.

Anatian expected the loans to be increased over time to reach the
necessary $100m for a successful stock market flotation.

The bank denies ever making such a commitment. However, affidavits
obtained by The Observer show that the same four members of Coutts
staff currently at the centre of the investigation did indeed
repeatedly commit to the deal. Sources within the Lubavitch
community, the ultra-orthodox Hasidic Jewish sect of which Anatian
is a prominent leader, have also provided The Observer with a copy
of a video of the Bar Mitzvah of Anatian's son. There Economou can
been see taking the microphone and urging everyone to purchase
shares in the forthcoming flotation and that their money is safe
because Coutts is backing the deal. Economou also states that
Anatian 'will be one of the richest men in America'.

By the autumn of 1996, it was all starting to go wrong. Coutts
refused to advance any more money, despite the fact that the only
way for the outstanding loans to be repaid was for the stock
market flotation to go ahead.

Without the money to follow through, deals that had been signed to
purchase TV stations began to fall through. Anatian's credibility
suffered and the value of his shares in the TV company, which
Coutts had used as security for the loan, began to plummet. The
company was forced to shut down almost overnight leaving 350
unemployed.

Anatian was left with an outstanding loan of around $45m - the
total amount lent to all the companies. All his stock in USA
Detergents and his fledgling TV station had been pledged to Coutts
as security for the loan. Having stood on the brink of fantastic
wealth, he now faced losing it all. Coutts began negotiating a
settlement, offering to write off the loan and give Anatian back
half his USA Detergents shares - a deal worth $55m. But Anatian,
furious at having seen his TV company collapse, refused to accept
anything less than all his shares in both companies and additional
compensation of $25m.

In a letter obtained by The Observer, Coutts admits that it:
'Remains ready and willing to discuss a resolution which would not
have an unduly harsh effect on Mr Anatian and his family. We
suggest that your clients and you reconsider the previous posi
tions taken by them and commence negotiations designed to reach
such an appropriate resolution.'

By the time the Federal Reserve Bank began investigations, Anatian
was still refusing to accept the offer. Coutts then did a U-turn
and sued him for the outstanding loan. They won judgement in the
case but Anatian is appealing.

Meanwhile, the Federal Reserve probe is examining allegations by
the four key staff, all of whom dealt with Anatian, that their
actions were authorised at the very highest levels of the bank. In
an extract from a taped conversation obtained by The Observer ,
Economou tells Anatian: 'They [the bank] have to be very, very
careful, as I will go to the newspapers and I will go to the SEC
[Securities and Exchange Commission, the body responsible for
regulating the US stock market] and I will go to the Internal
Revenue Service and I will go to every agency in this country if
they decide to try and pin something on me that I was not even
responsible for.

'It's insane. Everything I did was on the approval and information
of the bank, not only in New York but with London too. They knew
all along.'

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 1999

Queen's bankers in US fraud inquiry

Tony Thompson, Crime Correspondent
Sunday November 14, 1999
The Observer
www.newsunlimited.co.uk

Four vice-presidents of Coutts & Co, the private bank that counts
the Queen and a host of celebrities among its clients, are the
main focus of a two-year investigation into fraud and money
laundering by United States authorities, The Observer can reveal.

The four, who were discharged by Coutts in 1997, all worked at
the New York branch, which was shut down in 1998 having recorded
losses of more than $50 million.

Between 1995 and 1997, according to papers filed in civil cases
at the US Supreme Court, New York branch staff are alleged to
have taken kickbacks, signed up clients who were embroiled in
major criminal trials, arranged for customers to attend seminars
where they were taught techniques of money laundering and tax
evasion, hired consultants with reputations for breaching banking
regulations and made multimillion dollar loans without adequate
security.

The investigation, by the Manhattan District Attorney's office
and the Federal Reserve Bank, was sparked by the civil cases. All
the allegations remain unproved and are denied by Coutts.

The investigation began after one customer, Rachiam Anatain,
claimed that Coutts had arranged for him to attend a seminar in
Monaco where he was taught the tax evasion techniques which could
be used for laundering cash. Coutts claims Anatain, who defaulted
on a loan of more than $45 million, was attempting to defraud the
bank.

However, papers obtained by The Observer show that Anatain made
his allegations several weeks before defaulting (though other
matters were in dispute) and that Coutts had been attempting to
reach an 'amicable settlement' with him. He was ordered to repay
the loan but is now appealing.

The four former staff, all of whom dealt with Anatain, claimed
their actions were authorised by Coutts at the very highest
levels.

In an extract from a taped conversation obtained by this
newspaper, one of them tells a former client: 'They [the bank]
have to be very, very careful, as I will go to the newspapers and
I will go to the SEC [Securities and Exchange Commission, the
body responsible for regulating the US stock market] and I will
go to the Internal Revenue Service and I will go to every fucking
agency in this country if they decide to try and pin something on
me that I was not even responsible for. It's insane.'

On termination of their employment, the four are understood to
have been given indemnities in which Coutts agrees to cover the
cost of any legal actions against them.

The bank has provided them with funds to meet their 'living
costs' for several months. A Coutts spokesman said contracts held
with a number of ex-employees at the New York branch forbade him
from commenting on them.

Among the lawyers representing Anatain is Barry Slotnick, who
represented jailed Mafia boss Vincent 'The Chin' Gigante.
Speaking exclusively to The Observer, Slotnick said: 'We confirm
the investigation is going on. Our case is that the whole scheme
was dreamt up and implemented by Coutts employees.'

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 1999
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,