-Caveat Lector-

http://www.apbnews.com:80/cjprofessionals/behindthebadge/1999/12/21/chicagoguns1221_01.html

Chicago Tells Cops: No Guns in the Box
Order Follows Shootout During Interrogation

               Dec. 21, 1999

               By Janet Prasad

                             CHICAGO (APBnews.com) --
                             Something really scary happened
                             in the Wentworth Area Police
                             Station on Halloween weekend --
                             and it has led Chicago police to
                             bar cops from carrying guns in
                             some areas in their own
                             stationhouses.

                             On Oct. 30, Reginald Cole, 38,
                             was taken to the South Side
                             police station from an Illinois
                             prison where he was serving a
                             10-year sentence for armed
               robbery because investigators wanted to question him
               about a murder, authorities said.

               Cole asked the detective if they could talk someplace
               he could not be overheard, and the officer moved him
               out of an interrogation room into a small office.

               That's when Cole grabbed a 7-inch paper spike off a
               desk and lunged at the detective, then grabbed the
               officer's gun and fired.

               The prisoner missed his target, and he turned the gun
               on himself and fired. At the shot, other officers ran into
               the room and fired at Cole. Simultaneously, authorities
               said, Cole fired the officer's gun into his own mouth.
               The Cook County Medical Examiner's Office ruled
               Cole's death a suicide.

               Dec. 3, the department set a new policy -- no guns in
               interrogation rooms.

               'Like putting on a pair of shoes'

               "It wasn't that there was a policy to wear them, just
               that there wasn't a policy not to wear them. People just
               wore them if they felt like it," said a Wentworth
               detective who asked to remain anonymous. "Some
               people just had it on because they've been wearing it
               for so many years ... it's like putting on a pair of
               shoes."

               Officers in suburban departments applauded
               Chicago's decision, saying the safest way to interview
               a suspect is without a weapon.

               Sgt. Mike McNamara, a detective in south suburban
               Park Forest, said his department has had a
               long-standing policy keeping guns out of
               interrogations. A bank of lock boxes on the opposite
               end of the hall from the interview room ensures
               weapons are secure.

               Surprised that Chicago did not have the no-weapons
               policy before, McNamara said he has yet to see a
               suburban department that does not have a policy
               regarding weapons in processing areas.

               "I can understand the thinking that said you'd want to
               have your gun because these are dangerous people
               and they might try to attack you. But that's exactly why
               you wouldn't want to have it with you," McNamara
               said.

               New holsters guard against gun grabs

               A lot of detectives have older holsters that are not
               equipped with new weapon retention hardware. One
               flip of a thumb and the suspect could have the gun in
               his hand before a distracted investigator has time to
               react.

               "I've watched videos where the prisoners were
               practicing disarming officers in a jail yard, spinning the
               officer around and taking his gun," McNamara said.
               "You don't want to get lulled into a false sense of
               security."

               The Chicago detective agreed.

               "I think that has to do with complacency. You have to
               kind of relax when you talk to these people.
               Sometimes you have got to be friendly to them,
               sometimes we get complacent," he said. "But that's not
               saying that that's what happened in this case, where
               this officer got into trouble."

               Bob Wallace, a spokesman for the National
               Association of Police Chiefs and a former police
               lieutenant in New York state, believes Chicago's
               decision was a good one. Interviewing a suspect
               without guns or other weapons not only protects the
               officer from potential bodily harm, but also eliminates a
               legal defense tactic for the suspect, he said.

               Reducing 'interrogation failures'

               A gun could be perceived as a tool of intimidation,
               Wallace said, an object that would indirectly coerce a
               suspect into confessing for fear of his safety.

               "A suspect could say to his attorney, 'You know, the
               guy kept walking in front of me and he had this big gun
               on, so I said what he wanted to hear so I could get out
               of there,'" Wallace said. "Keeping the guns out could
               eliminate interrogation failures."

               Why would an officer want to bring a weapon into a
               locked interrogation room with a dangerous suspect?
               It depends on the situation, police said.

               "Every situation is different, every person is different,
               every interview is different," said the Chicago
               detective. "That's why I think a blanket policy isn't
               good. If you're a female and you've got a big guy in
               there, you could reasonably think that the guy could
               do you physical harm."

               'Any one of us can be overpowered'

               Wallace agreed that the decision to bring a weapon in
               to an interview depends on the suspect. Officers
               usually are highly aware of the suspect's demeanor
               and would spot any signs from the suspect indicating
               a threat.

               But even with the officer's training factored in, it is
               possible a suspect could still gain control of the
               officer's weapon. If desperate enough, suspects will
               pursue any avenue to escape, regardless of how
               remote the possibility is, police said.

               "It could happen, it has happened. The potential is
               there. Any one of us can be overpowered," the
               Chicago detective said. "A lot of times (the suspect's)
               motivation to escape is stronger than our motivation to
               catch them. Maybe he's thinking, 'I've already been in
               jail for murder, I'm here, they know I did it, maybe this
               is my one shot to get out of here.'"

               Janet Prasad is an APBnews.com correspondent.

--
NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is