-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 12/31/99 4:27:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Don't eat meat? Why? Is it not Y2K compatible?

I am a vegetarian by choice, viewing meat as unhealthy, though if you want to
eat it that's okay by me (you can go ahead and wear as many fur coats as you
like too, and lots of leather, and don't gotta worry about me throwing any
dye at ya, or calling you a murderer, etc. . .).  ANYWAY, I think it would
behoove (forgive that one!) everyone to consider beef long and hard before
one chooses to consume any.  It is much more true for beef (though chicken,
turkey, and fish all also have some of these same problems) that you may be
getting a lot more than just a big chunk of juicy goodness when you eat it.
First there is rBGH, excessive feeding of antibiotics, chemicals within their
food, many potential hormone problems, etc.  But, now we also have a
definitive link between Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy or BSE (for which
all the cattle in Britain were killed off some short time ago) and the, until
recently, rare condition Creutzfelt-Jakov disease, which has the same effects
on humans as Mad Cow disease (BSE) does in cattle.  Your brain starts to
develop tiny holes, and you lose tissue, the holes get larger, you lose
function, memory, eventually you die presumably quite insane.  The link
between the two is the PRION, which is a kind of protein that infects like a
virus and is virtually impossible to get rid of, it is impervious to nearly
every method of purifying, and since it isn't alive killing it is not an
option.  In ight of all that I am going to continue to avoid meat, especially
beef.  My tirade is over, you may now go back to your lives. . . .

***********************************
"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, "The Matrix".

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents.
  We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of seas of infinity,
and it is not meant that we should
  voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
hitherto harmed us little; but someday
  the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying
vistas of reality, and of our
  frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
or flee from the deadly light into the
  peace and safety of a new dark age."  H.P.Lovecraft; "The Call of Cthulhu"