 From: "Fred Langa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Subject: [langalist] 17-Jan-00 LangaList

 1) WARNING! The "Upgrade of Death"

 Long-time readers may remember my first experience with AOL 5.0  (when
 I tried to upgrade a system from AOL 4 to AOL 5). I'll spare you the
 details, but after trying every trick I knew to get the system working
 properly after the upgrade, the punchline was "Format C:\"

 I wrote about my unhappy experiences in this newsletter
 (see http://www.langa.com/newsletters/1999/nov-1-99.htm#aol)
 and was amazed at the flood of mail I got in reply from readers
 whose experiences were as bad-- -or even worse!--- than mine.
 (See http://www.langa.com/newsletters/1999/nov- 4-99.htm#aol1)

 With all that, I decided simply to try avoiding AOL, but it's a
 marketing behemoth that just won't quit. Day after day, readers would
 write to me or to the WinMag staff complaining about AOL5.0. Then,
 last week, with the announcement of AOL taking over Time Warner and
 becoming the largest online/content source on the planet, it became
 clear I needed a closer look:

 Because I knew from reader mail and from painful personal experience
 that upgrading from 4.0 to 5.0 often brought major trouble, I decided
 to try a clean install of AOL 5.0.

 It was eye-opening. In all, I found AOL had added or altered 229 files
 on my system, including over 4.5MB of Windows system files!
 It significantly (and unnecessarily) altered my networking setup.
 It even diddled with Power Management settings in my Registry!

 I'll detail everything--- including what files were altered, how you
 can tell what files and settings AOL altered on your machine, which
 kinds of users and systems AOL is good for, and which it's really bad
 for--- in this week's column on the WinMag.Com site. (The full column
 is far too detailed to present in an email, such as this newsletter.)

 In the end, I did get AOL installed and running. If you're even
 thinking about using AOL5.0, please check out the column first:
 It may save you a ton of headaches.

 If you're already using AOL5, then the column will help you determine
 exactly what the software already did to your system.

 And either way, please join in the discussion: Is your AOL experience
 different from mine? Have you found ways around the upgrade hassles?
 What do you think the future will hold as AOL emerges as the biggest
 media company on the planet? Join in the discussion starting in the
 afternoon, EST (gmt-5) TUESDAY (a day later than normal, due to the
 US holiday on Monday) 18-Jan-00 at
 http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/

 (Note: if you get there early, you'll see the previous column on
 computing resolutions for the new year---and if you haven't read that
 one, check it out too!)

 ~~~~~~~
 From: "Fred Langa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Subject: [langalist] 20-Jan-00 LangaList

 2) "AO Hell" Saga Continues

 In the last issue, I told you about The AOL 5.0 "Upgrade of Death:"
 After performing a clean install on a test system,  I found AOL had
 added or altered 229 files, including over 4.5MB of Windows system
 files! It significantly (and unnecessarily) altered my networking
 setup.

 It even diddled with Power Management settings in my Registry! Some
 readers mistakenly thought that by using the "bring your own access"
 option (where you pay a cut rate for AOL access and use your own ISP
 to connect to AOL) you could avoid the networking hassles I
 encountered.

 Nope.

 AOL appears to install everything, all the time. The "bring your
 own access" option only changes things on AOL's end of the
 connection---how you're billed and how you're allowed into their
 system. It doesn't change anything on your end: You'll still end up
 with your networking and dial-up settings unnecessary diddled with.

 I discuss all this in this week's WinMag column. Some readers tried to
 read the full column and join the week-long discussion at the WinMag
 site a day early this week (Monday was a US holiday)--- but it's up
 and running now:

 In that online column, I detail everything--- including what files
 were altered, how you can tell what files and settings AOL altered on
 your machine, which kinds of users and systems AOL is good for, and
 which it's really bad for.

 Join in! Is your AOL experience different from mine? Have you found
 ways around the upgrade hassles?  What do you think the future will
 hold as AOL emerges as the biggest media company on the planet? The
 discussion is ongoing at
 http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/02.htm

 See you there!

 ~~~~~~~
 From: "Fred Langa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Subject: [langalist] 24-Jan-00 LangaList

 3) 22 Million Members v. AOL: A Class Action Suit?

 My column on "AO Hell" struck a nerve:  Now that AOL users are
 realizing how common it is for AOL5 to mess up systems, many are ready
 to light the torches and march on Steve Case's castle.  Some members
 are so incensed at the bad behavior of AOL5 (and the way it messed up
 their systems) they're talking about filing a class action lawsuit to
 recover damages for their lost time and productivity!

 The story also has taken on a life of its own: In the last few days
 I've been contacted by news organizations ranging from CNN to
 Newsbytes, all following up on the original column--- which I guess
 has been cut-and- pasted and re-emailed an incredible amount!

 (Update: CNN went ahead and broadcast a news item using my column at
 http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/02.htm as visual; and
 also mentions my WinMag column on their website at
 http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/01/21/aol.five.ap/index.html .
 The CNN folks have also contacted me about doing a follow-up, possibly
 on- camera. We'll try to work out the details this week. I wonder if
 they'd be doing all this if AOL hadn't just bought them? 8-) In any
 case, stay tuned!)

 And chime in! What are *your* feelings about AOL?  Is your AOL
 experience different from mine? Have you found ways around the upgrade
 hassles? What do you think the future will hold as AOL emerges as the
 biggest media company on the planet? The discussion is ongoing at
 http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/02.htm

 See you there!

 This newsletter is a free service of Langa Consulting and is
 Copyright © 2000 Fred Langa/Langa Consulting. All rights reserved.

 SUBSCRIBE (it's free!): Send email to
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

.