</A> -Cui Bono?-

From: "Eagle 1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> NOW,  I don't know why I ever joined up with AOL,  except it was the thing
> to do six years ago,  when they were new and I was computer illiterate.

I too was on AOHell 6 years ago, because at the time there weren't any
viable local ISPs, and AOHell seemed to be the only game in town...

My 'association' lasted a little over a year...and all the time I was using
it, I'd constantly 'lose' my mouse...

My computer was some sort of mongrel, and one of it's idiosyncrisies was
that the modem was installed in the COM port normally utilized by the mouse,
and vice versa...meaning that my mouse was installed to the COM port
normally used by the modem...

My mouse went belly up every time I noticed AOHell was trying to write
something to my hard drive...but instead of accessing my modem in the usual
COM port, it instead encountered my mouse, resulting in it's death...

I went thru 4 of them while I was AOHell...

But the final straw that caused me to leave was the realization that posts
on certain subjects either had a significant delay in delivery (as if they
were held up for someone's perusal before being sent on), or their outright
disappearance...these were posts dealing not only with your regular
'alphabet soup' governmental agencies, but also posts dealing with
alternative health subjects...

I and a handful of other AOHell subscribers belonged to an email list
devoted to alternative health, and we set up a private chat room where we
would meet every Sunday afternoon to chat...remember, this was a PRIVATE
room, only those of us who belonged to this email list knew about it...

And one of the things we discussed was our collective suspicion that our
posts to the list were being monitored...and we tested our theory that
AOHell was utilizing a robot program that flagged certain words or phrases
by periodically typing, in this chat area, "Okay, I'm going to freeze the
system now...", followed by one of the suspected 'keywords' or phrases...

And it never failed...immediately after hitting the send button after typing
the keyword, the system WOULD freeze up, for about 2 or 3 minutes...

This was at the same time AOHell made an announcement that it was forming a
partnership with the FBI, allowing the feebs in to read any and all emails,
supposedly to crack down on kiddy porn...

So tell me...why would they find discussion about vitamins and herbs used
for health reasons so interesting?

June