</A> -Cui Bono?-

As the good Lord is my witness, you have missed the point of this exercise.
The soldiers that are caught up in this know instantly what the game is
about.  A soldier will do his time serving his country then when he gets
almost within that magic "lock-in" period where he cannot be involuntarily
seperated prior to his retiement, BANG - you seperated, no retirement, no
burden on the government, no future, no help for your family, not even a
chance for what passes as medical benefits they give us now.  It will be just
like you worked at a crappy little store in Manhattan "off the books".  The
soldier gets shit on.  This will drive career personnel out in droves.

Recruiting is down now.  You really want to know why?  Recent retirees do not
praise or recommend the service.  When asked by young people about the
military I recommend strongly that they look elsewhere.  I did my 20 years in
the U.S. Army.  Now the Army treats me like a used tissue.

Gays in the military?  They are not stupid they are not going to join up in
large numbers.  And young farm kids from Iowa and Nebraska are not going to
sign up and be joked at by their friends as "Homosexuals".

Privatize Base Housing?  Gee, the government housing allowance will not cover
the costs to the contractor, so young soldier pony that money up out of your
pay.

Voluntary Indefinite Enlistment - read it as - "Hell will freeze over, or
Clinton will tell the truth, before you make your twenty."