</A> -Cui Bono?-

Dave Hartley
http://www.asheville-computer.com/dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Fenello [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2000 6:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: The Source of Our Problems

The Source of Our Problems
    by Jay Fenello

Welcome to the second edition of Aligning with Purpose(sm),
a weekly column dedicated to examining our society, with a
goal of achieving positive and lasting change.  This issue
will explore some of the many problems we face today.

By way of background, the problems I'm about to describe
were experienced first hand through my involvement in the
fight over Internet Governance.  Instead of a world based
upon legality, and fairness, and constitutional rights, I
found one based upon power, and privilege, and decisions
in smoke-filled rooms.

But before we can address these excesses, we must first
determine the source of our problems.  Do they lie with our
government, our press, our multinationals, our foundations?
Or is it a broader problem with our collective morality?

Our Government

To find a resolution to the so-called domain name wars,
Iperdome asked the U.S. Government to mediate the crisis
(http://www.iperdome.com/releases/970429.htm).  At first,
the government appeared to be following its mandate to
help resolve the questions of Internet Governance.

But over time, it soon became apparent that the game
was fixed.  Despite all of the public comments, and
despite all of the compromises in positions, members
of the Commerce Department were working behind the
scenes to implement a secret solution with corporate
interests.  So in effect, we had a public process for
show, and a private process for decision making.

And it wasn't just the Commerce Department -- Congress
also got involved.  They held some hearings, and they
even threatened some actions.  But in the end, money
was the only thing that mattered, as each congressman
took sides apparently based upon the size of their
corporate contributions.

But weren't laws being broken?  Weren't government
agencies there to keep things honest?  Not according
to the Justice Department.  They have repeatedly
refused to take any actions, nor even look into
any of the alleged excesses.

Our Press

Given the takeover of the Internet by a small and
secretive group of insiders, and the allegations of
graft and insider dealings, surely our press would
want to cover it?  Expose it?  Make a big issue out
of it?

Not based upon my experience.  In fact, every time
the U.S. Government made a decision favorable to the
minority interests, the press would fall silent.  And
whenever allegations of corruption in the process were
put forward, the press would ignore them -- even when
it was part of the Congressional
record:
http://com-notes.house.gov/cchear/hearings106.nsf/768df0faa6d9ddab852564f100
4886c0/f21154b2e83a48d7852567b70050a597?OpenDocument

Our Multinationals

In trying to understand the contradictory actions
of our government and media, one common explanation
is the influence and control of multinational
corporations.

Senator McCain has called soft-dollars a legalized
form of graft.  And based upon rumors that IBM has
invested over 100 million soft-dollars into their
Internet Governance lobbying, it certainly could
explain much of what's been happening.

Same comments apply to our media.  Today, due to
a consolidation of media ownership, less than 10
multinational corporations control over 80% of all
media outlets.  And this situation is only getting
worse, as can be seen in the CBS/Viacom and
AOL/Time Warner mergers.

Our Foundations

If any segment of our society is dedicated to the
greater good, and a potential counter-force to the
multinational corporations, it presumably is our
non-profit foundations.

And yet, once corporate interests took over the
Internet, the Markle foundation came in and has
funded an attempt to implement a bogus membership
structure.  And many other organizations have
jumped on the bandwagon, apparently due to the
funding available from Markle.

Our Morality

IMHO, people are inherently good, and the problems
I've been describing are simply part of the system.
It starts with little compromises designed to climb
the corporate ladder, or to get elected, or to get
that pay raise.  By the time you get to the top,
everything is grey.

In closing, these are just a small sampling of
the many ways our system is broken.  In the coming
weeks, I'll be discussing these concepts in more
detail.  And to facilitate these discussions, I'll
be clipping important reference documents to the
Aligning with Purpose(sm) discussion list.
Please join us.

Until next time . . .

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello,
New Media Relations
------------------------------------
http://www.fenello.com  770-392-9480
Aligning with Purpose(sm) ... for a Better World
"The unexamined life isn't worth living"
   -- Socrates

Copyright (c) 2000 Jay Fenello -- All rights reserved

Permission is hereby granted to 1) redistribute this
column in its entirety via email, discussion lists,
and newsgroups, and 2) publish this column in its
entirety on non-profit web sites.

To subscribe to the Aligning with Purpose(sm)
announcements list, send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the Aligning with Purpose(sm)
discussion list, send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]