</A> -Cui Bono?-

Date:    Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:15:30 -0800
From:    Ynr Chyldz Wyld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Protest Yahoo Sponsorship of Racist/Fascist Groups

You write,

>And where do you suggest we draw the line?  What is the yardstick you
suggest to measure by >which groups should have their Constitutionally
assured right to free speech abridged?

>I'd rather these online services be ENCOURAGED to provide space to these
'fringe' groups, as >I'd much prefer it be EASIER for people to see for
themselves what these groups espouse, >rather than have the information
filtered through politically correct third parties....

>The beauty of our form of government is that ANY group, no matter how
heinious, has the right >to free speech and free assembly...

>June

Yep, this topic is always guaranteed to cause a whole lot of argumentation
and squabbling amongst liberals, democrats and free speechers!

I hear what you say and acknowledge its validity. Paul Kneisel is quite
correct in limiting his appeal by asking us to protest the manner in which
Yahoo appears to be breaking its *own* regulations by allowing race-hate
groups the freedom of  using its services.

We could go on forever arguing the pros and cons of allowing such people the
same constitutional rights as others. Based on its historic foundations the
US Constitution seeks to protect an individual's basic human rights -noble
principles which have been used as a constitutional model by more recent
democracies.

As a European, perhaps my gut reaction towards neo-nazi race hate groups
could be said to be conditioned by the utter devastation caused on this
sub-continent by a former Austrian madman, Shickelgruber. To see history
threatening to repeat itself in the very same country is, for me, a
confirmation that the opportunistic Haiders of this world know that nazism
and race hate is like a virus which lies dormant in the capitalist system
waiting for an appropriate moment in which it can be used, quite
calculatedly, for their political gain.

Nazis will use democracy to obtain power. And once in power they trash it.
History has proved that to be so. That is why I believe that the best policy
towards this virus is zero-tolerance. That's my personal belief and I know
that a lot of folk would accuse me of being just as bad as the opposition.
Maybe. I call it self defence.

I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong but I don't believe that there is
anything in the US Constitution which actually guarantees the right of
anyone to openly preach race hate, anti-semitism and the like. Freedom of
speech is surely one thing, its abuse another.

Rory Winter.