</A> -Cui Bono?-

from:
http://www.larouchecampaign.com/pages/usvlarouche2a.htm
Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.larouchecampaign.com/pages/usvlarouche2a.htm">
New Page 6</A>
-----
Crucial issues of the trial

It has been established, on the record, that the unlawful Federal bankrupting
of those entities had been undertaken for the aforethought purpose, of
crafting otherwise untenable Federal indictments on loan-fraud charges. That
had been the opinion shared among the members of the multi-jurisdictional
prosecutorial team, that loan-fraud charges could not be brought against
target LaRouche, unless the relevant entities were not only put into
bankruptcy, but forced to cease ongoing repayments of loans, by the
task-force’s shutting down the fraudulently bankrupted entities. That
evidence demonstrates that the bankruptcy-action was taken as an intended, as
well as merely objective fraud upon the bankruptcy court. Moreover, the
systematic recruitment of prospective trial witnesses for a loan-fraud case,
was not begun until after the bankruptcy proceeding launched fraudulently by
the Department of Justice.43 The pretext for the charge of loan-fraud, was
the use of the mails, by these firms, to send letters of confirmation of
loan-status to the lenders, both as a matter of good accounting practice, and
to reduce likelihood of misunderstanding in these matters. Hence, the
prosecution’s irrational logic argued, this was “mail fraud.”44 The
indictment, trial, and convictions in this case, hung entirely on the
convoluted sophistry used to craft a mail-fraud charge in that fashion.

The indictment in the latter case was handed down on October 14, 1988, two
days after I had delivered an historic, and also prophetic Presidential
candidate’s address in Berlin, Germany.45 The trial began on November 21,
1988; conviction was handed down on December 16, 1988.

In fact, as distinct from sophistries of mere legal fiction, the only reason
such a short trial on such complex issues could be arranged, was that none
among the defendants was able, in fact, to testify in his own defense,
although I, from the time of the indictment, had repeatedly instructed all
relevant parties, including all of the defense attorneys, of my intention to
do so. One of the co-defendants was also personally committed to testify, but
was effectively prevented from doing so by his attorney’s failure to prepare
him for trial. Since I was the person most frequently mentioned by the
prosecution, the one principally accused by the indictment and in other ways,
in a trial in which I was in fact innocent, but not permitted to respond to
the mass of charges presented in the indictment and prosecution’s proceeding,
that trial was, necessarily a farce in fact in its entirety. Indeed, it would
be fairly estimated that my testimony alone, taking into account direct,
cross, and redirect, would have required about two to three additional weeks
in itself.

The problems were, first of all, the fact that many of the defendants were
not given sufficient time, at arraignment, to obtain attorneys to represent
them at trial before the trial date was set. Second, more significant, was
the fact that those attorneys, many hastily secured, were not in collective
agreement on having me testify in my own defense, lest, in their opinion,
that might pose an element of risk for some among the other defendants. Since
most among those attorneys refused to agree on preparing themselves
effectively for my testimony, I was, in point of fact, effectively denied the
right to testify. Motions for severance, although made, were summarily
denied. Otherwise, the trial would have had a different ultimate outcome.
Later, it turned out, this denial of the effective possibility of testifying
there, was largely the work of a relevant snake working from inside the
defense’s preparation of the case, who exposed his true role most blatantly,
on this and other counts, both during trial, and in post-trial developments.

Legal sophistries put aside, in reality, the importance of my testimony in
that case, is that there were numerous instances of crucial, blatantly false
statements made, under oath, by certain key witnesses for the prosecution.
These included many matters of which I had not only first-hand, but fully
corroboratable knowledge. These were of crucial relevance for the jury’s
hearing in that trial.

Admittedly, as a practical matter, some of these issues, even the most
important ones, were willfully, and wrongly precluded from trial by the
judge’s pre-trial in limine rulings. Nonetheless, there were many matters
which had been raised by the prosecution’s case, on which the facts, if
presented, would expose the massive degree of lying by many prosecution
witnesses, and willful fraud, in fact, in argument of the prosecutors. Unless
those issues were forced into consideration by my personal direct and cross
examination in court, those crucial issues would not be, in fact, considered
by the jury panel, even though a significant number of them were either
addressed or alluded to in the closing summaries of defense attorneys.

The importance of this is underlined if one considers the sheer mass of false
testimony, delivered under oath, by what existing evidence proves to have
been corrupted witnesses, and if one takes into account, from the verbatim
record, the additional mass of what was in fact false testimony, which was
introduced as argument from the mouths of the, factually, culpably witting
prosecuting attorneys.

The most crucial fact, which attorneys secured on such short notice, were
often poorly qualified to address, is that any politically motivated
prosecution is, first and foremost, a political trial by definition, whatever
the proper or fraudulent pretexts for the indictment which have been crafted
by the prosecution.46

Such trials are designed, either by prosecutor’s intentions, or by
unavoidable implications of bringing a prominent political figure to trial,
to bring about what are inevitably political ends by means of the criminal
charges. In all cases, when the political implications of such a case are
kept out of trial, the trial itself is a fraud, by virtue of fallacy of
composition of the facts addressed. A person on trial is who they are; a
notable political figure on trial is, by definition, a figure of political
controversy. In this case, even the charges themselves alleged political
motivation as the characteristic feature of the alleged mail fraud. I was a
figure whose character had been subjected to a massive political attack, over
a preceding period of years, by all of the leading mass media in that area
affecting the selection of the jury pool. The mind of the population
represented by the jury pool had been polluted over at least twelve preceding
years, and most intensively during the preceding four years, by this
politically motivated mass-media campaign. Judge Bryan’s pre-trial rulings,
and his survey of the prospective jurors was not only wrongful, but clearly
fraudulent, in light of these facts well known to him.

Apart from that pollution of the jury selection-process, neither the jury,
nor the court in general could cut through the chaff clouding any such case,
unless the implicit issue of the political motivation behind the prosecution
were brought clearly into view, thus to be judged, on related evidence, as
relevant to the charges, or not. Sometimes, the indictment and trial of a
political figure is justified in fact. Sometimes the charges against such a
figure might involve a pure and simple offense under the criminal code; even
in such cases, the issue of the possibility of reasonable separation of the
charges from the political associations, must be fairly presented to the
court and its jurors.

In any variant, as in the Boston trial, or what would have been an honest
trial in the Alexandria case, sorting out a case in which the criminal
charges are fabricated for political purposes, from one in which the honestly
charged defendant is a prominent political figure, is precisely the most
important problem which the jury, and the jury alone, must be equipped to
decide in any trial by jury of a political figure. In this case, the
prosecution and also the trial judge applied their greatest efforts,
including the judge’s in-fact fraudulent use of a Rule 403 exclusion of
admittedly relevant evidence, to prevent the jury from hearing the actual
case which was, in fact, being set before them. Thus, Judge Bryan perpetrated
willful fraud on the court by virtue of fallacy of composition.

This rule is most emphatically applied in the instance of a well-known
political figure, especially one as violently and fraudulently vilified as
the Washington Post and other scalawag mass-press had deliberately saturated
the area of the jury-pool for that trial. The jury could not help but reach a
trial decision highly colored by political considerations brought into the
jury-room by a corrupt mass-media, over many years, prior to and during the
time of trial.47 If the relevant political figure, as defendant, is
fraudulently charged, as I was in that case, and if the court is rigged, as
Judge Bryan rigged this trial, and if the mass-media has attempted to whip
the jury-pool into a lynch-spirit, as in this case, and if that political
figure does not take the stand in his own defense, under direct and
cross-examination, he is fairly certain of conviction, no matter how innocent
he may be in fact, or how much the other evidence presented should have
persuaded an honest jury48 of the defendant’s innocence of the charges.

On consideration of this trial and conviction, a leading international legal
authority, Professor Friedrich-August von der Heydte, made two sets of
observations. First, he compared the Alexandria LaRouche case to that of the
celebrated Captain Alfred Dreyfus.49 It took five days longer to obtain a
fraudulent conviction of Dreyfus, than in a far more complex case of trial of
both me and my six co-defendants.

The issue of law
Top of Document

Professor von der Heydte made a second, separate point, which I endorsed
publicly at that time. The conduct of the trial judge in that case,
reflected, and that most plainly, a specific, and rapidly worsening
corruption of U.S. law, today, which is more ominous than even the horrid
Nazi law associated with the legacy of Germany’s Carl Schmitt and Roland
Freisler. This corruption, typified by the tendency of Federal courts to
adopt the Lockean principle of shareholder value, is to be recognized as a
combination of radical positivism and the specific, interchangeable
conceptions of slaveholder or shareholder value, associated with both the
doctrine of the Confederate States of America, and the current doctrine among
a leading element of the U.S. Supreme Court, as typified by the frequent
resort to sophistry by Justice Scalia, today. The result of such a union of
Locke and radical positivist law, is to be compared with the standpoint in
law represented by the most notorious fictionalized figure of Plato’s Republic
, Thrasymachus, or with the perverted notions of law of real-life Roman
Emperors such as Tiberius, Nero, Caligula, and Diocletian.

In summary, under such positivist mode of sophistry in law, the table of
justice is rigged, like a crooked gambling table, before the victim is
seated. Then, the rules by which the trial is rigged, are invoked
apologetically by such corrupt legal authorities, to purport to show that the
trial was according to “the rule of law”: according to the “rules”; in this
case, as corrupt Judge Bryan’s corrupt in limine rulings attest, the rules
were the special, Kafkaesque rules which those sophists and their
fellow-travellers had made up for that occasion. The apologists, affecting a
pose of self-righteousness, and lacking any other kind of righteousness,
insist that since the trial followed their rules, the proceedings were, in
the mouth of one later-exposed mole inside the defense team, therefore “fair.”

Under the conditions defined by those two observations of Professor von der
Heydte, as in the conditions of the infamous trial of Socrates, the very name
of justice is a contradiction in terms. Only fools will say, under such
circumstances, “But didn’t he get a fair trial according to the rules?” Who
sets the rules, and how are they set? How are the rules, and the rule-makers
to be judged? Can judges be considered persons privileged to be acting as the
members of an autonomous private club; or, must they be accountable to some
higher, less capricious standard of rule-making? If the rules exclude
relevant truth, then, as in the lynch-trial of Socrates, it is the members of
the court, not the accused, who should be condemned, like England’s Chief
Justice Lord George Jeffreys before them, and, perhaps, like him, imprisoned
for what are in fact crimes representing the greatest danger to both the
republic and the general welfare of its people.

In fairness, on this point, the following qualifying observation should be
included here.

Admittedly, the U.S. Congress has enacted many bad statutes. Presidents have
promoted legislation, or condoned it, which, by every moral standard
conceivable, they should have opposed. Under our Constitutional form of
self-government, the immediate functional remedy for such errors, is to be
sought in the Federal Court, which must rule on such matters out of an
informed and cultivated conscience, even in defiance of the contrary
prevailing opinion of the other Federal branches. However, when the Federal
Courts go sour, as their decadence has unfolded during the recent
quarter-century to date, only the combined forces of the other two branches
have the immediate authority to correct this.

What if all three branches fail to resolve an error? Then, there are only two
higher authorities to which to appeal. One is the carefully deliberated
expression of the people’s own interest in promoting the national defense and
general welfare, the expression of the general welfare from whose moral and
other political authority of our Declaration of Independence and Federal
Constitution were derived. If that fails, there is but one higher authority
to which to appeal for justice. That latter is sometimes referred to as the
judgment of history, according to which history punishes, or even weeds out
nations and cultures which suffer a manifestly incurable want of the moral
fitness to survive. The ultimate authority of the principle of the general
welfare of the people on this account, is revolutionary, as the opening
paragraphs of the Declaration of Independence affirm this. The power of the
still higher authority, history itself, is of a more awesome quality.

In the final analysis, the only true authority for man-made law is reason.
The authority of government, even its right to exist, lies solely in the duty
of government to effect the efficient promotion of the general welfare of all
its population and their posterity, as this is echoed in the first four
paragraphs of our Declaration of Independence, and also the Preamble of our
Federal Constitution.

The judgment to be passed upon either a system of law, or the willfully
persisting maladministration of that system, must be considered on two
successively higher levels.

In its simpler aspect, is it to be compared, in first approximation, to the
deductive model of a Euclidean classroom geometry, as the derivation of
proofs according to a cultivated knowledge of an underlying set of both
stated and implied definitions, axioms, and postulates.

However, on a higher level, the process of lawmaking and judicial procedure
must recognize that, in statecraft, as in physical science, all previously
existing sets of definitions, axioms, and postulates are subject to change,
that in the same manner that validated new universal physical principles are
discovered in science. If what was rightly validated as true beforehand
remains true, not only must false assumptions be purged, but previously
omitted, newly validated principles incorporated within a multiply-connected
manifold of verifiable universal principles.

The most important consideration to bear in mind, is to distinguish what is
subject to such change, from that which is not. What can never change, under
a sane rule of law, is the definition of the human being as being of a
different nature than all the lower species. The adherence to that enduring
principle, defines absolutely the distinction between civilized forms of
society and the bestiality of slavery, cannibalism, serfdom, and other forms
of inhuman barbarism.50

We human beings are each unique, relative to all other species, in our power,
not merely to learn, but to discover new validated universal physical and
other principles, by means of which our species is enabled to increase its
per-capita power in and over the universe. In this respect, we are all made
equally distinct from the beasts, and, in this respect and degree, made
equally in the image of the Creator of this universe. It is upon the
recognition of, and service to this principle, that all decent law-making
proceeds. This principle, as the Declaration of Independence and Preamble of
our Constitution variously acknowledge, and otherwise reflect it, this
principle of the promotion of the general welfare represents the only
legitimate basis in law for the existence of government, and is the
underlying, unchanging cornerstone of all good law and justice.

Thus, in honest law, the issues posed by the existence of this, and also
certain additional underlying axiomatic assumptions, are always lurking.
Conclusions must not only be proven, but we must always keep those underlying
axiomatic considerations in mind. In each matter before us, the always
lurking issue is: what is the axiomatic standpoint of the respective parties,
and of the court itself?

Are any among these axiomatic assumptions false, relative to the matters at
issue? In a positivist doctrine of law, these crucial considerations are
excluded axiomatically; rather, the case is tried as Rabelais’ famous
justices Kissbreech and Suckfist would prefer, or in some equally scurrilous,
irrational mode. In an honest trial, the underlying axiomatic assumptions of
contending parties, and of the court itself, are always issues implicitly to
be considered, and to be treated actively as axiomatic issues whenever the
evidence relevant to that point of axiomatic controversy, might be a manifest
issue of the matters actively at trial.

Therefore, according to that single, supreme principle of natural law, the
cognitive power of reason, through which mankind discovers those true
universal principles, by means of which mankind increases our species’ power
within and over the universe, is in itself the highest authority in making
and application of law of, and among nations. Thus, in those means by which
we discover how to cooperate in increasing mankind’s power in and over
nature, we find the proof of what we rightly call reason. It is from those
powers of reason, so cultivated, that we may adduce those rules of law by
which we ought to be governed, and also govern ourselves.

If our notion of “rule of law” becomes as perverted in practice as it has
tended to become, especially in the degree we have experienced during the
recent thirty years or so, and if the people do not change this, then the
higher power of reason will act in response to the fact, that we have shown
ourselves a people which has mislain, or perhaps even lost the moral fitness
of a nation efficiently to survive.

I mention that very important, and relevant point here. I shall return to it
at an appropriate point, in the concluding section of this report. At this
point, the immediately following point, bearing upon that, is to be
considered.

In contrast, the fact that much of the legislation, judicial practice, and
public opinion encountered today, is essentially irrational, represents a
special quality of lunacy from which our nation must free itself, if this nati
on itself is to survive. Among such lunacies, the worst is the violation, or
neglect of our government’s duty to promote the general welfare efficiently;
on that, the very legitimacy of government and courts depends absolutely. The
submission of President Clinton to the pressure of Vice-President Al Gore, in
adapting to the bestial so-called “welfare reform” proposed by Speaker of the
House Newt Gingrich, or the actions of the Democratic National Committee, in
supporting the racist motion which attorney John Keeney continues to argue on
its behalf,51 typify those kinds of actions, by which a government, a
political party, or even an entire nation, undermines its moral authority to
continue to rule and exist.

The “LaRouche case,” thus, has the associated special importance, of showing
what sorts of disoriented persons, even often lunatics, or worse, rule so
many of the institutions of power and great influence in our nation today.
The naked and persisting travesty of justice in this case, should be taken as
an ominous warning to us, of what we must change, if this nation itself is
even merely to survive.

--[cont]--
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.