</A> -Cui Bono?-

Dave Hartley
http://www.asheville-computer.com/dave

 Threat to basic privacy, free speech and free press protections

Quote & Link:
A Periodic News Service Only For ACLU Members!

"The Attorney General and Congress should view this report for what it is
-- a law enforcement wish list. If our government truly wants to combat
cybercrime, then it should look to build up our defenses through more
secure networks and encryption rather than stripping away rights."

                         -- ACLU Associate Director Barry Steinhardt

A White House report on blocking Internet crime contains dangerous
recommendations that would strip away basic privacy, free speech and free
press protections, the American Civil Liberties Union warned today.

The report "raises a number of civil liberties concerns," the ACLU said in
a letter, including suggestions for stripping away anonymity online,
lowering the privacy threshold for telephone as well as online
communications, and threatening laws protecting free speech rights of
anyone using a computer, including news reporters.

A special feature on the dangerous Department of Justice report can be
found at*:
http://www.aclu.org/features/f030900a.html

We have already garnered significant media attention for our concerns about
the government's report:

-- A Washington Post article about the controversy can be found at:
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/business/feed/a39970-2000mar9.htm

-- A Wired News article about the new report can be found at:
http://wired.com/news/business/0,1367,34874,00.html