</A> -Cui Bono?-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

Should All "Equalizers", Such as Guns, Be Outlawed?

Should All "Equalizers", Such as Guns, Be Outlawed?
Are Gun-Free Zones an Invitation to Violence?
By: Mary Mostert, Analyst, Original Sources, (www.originalsources.com)

March 16, 2000

The debate between Bill Clinton and the National Rifle Association escalated
today when. Clinton angrily rejected a suggestion that he "tolerated a
certain amount of violence and killing to strengthen the case for gun control
and to score political points for the Democratic Party." The NRA had the
nerve to point out that Clinton could halt most gun violence tomorrow simply
by ordering his Justice Department to stop letting drug dealers and criminals
off when they violate existing gun laws.

The argument brought to my mind an interview I did last year with Kyle
Bateman, president of Action Target, which manufactures targets primarily for
law enforcement shooting ranges. Gun control laws, he tells me, are good for
his business, because they increase the need for his product. He made a
relatively simple point: the more you disarm the law-abiding, the easier it
is for the lawless to take control.

We are making schools safe for the lawless by making sure that no principal
or teacher is allowed to have a gun at school. That helps explain the recent
rash of school shootings in an era of decreasing crime.

Guns are equalizers. That is merely a fact of life that is irrefutable. Among
nations, nuclear weapons serve the same purpose. They make nations hesitate
to attack. Since America dropped a nuclear bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in
1945, no nation has overtly attacked our military directly.

I might also add the United States does not bomb other nations who belong to
the nuclear club. We bombed Yugoslavia for 79 days in 1999, destroying the
country over what now appears to have been lies about "100,000 Albanians'"
being "killed in a genocide." Today, the disarmed Serbs and other
non-Albanians have either fled for their lives from Kosovo or are being
murdered by Albanian criminals.

On the other hand, we have not dropped a single bomb on Russia, over its
effort to bring the Chechyna's to heel. We continue to sanction Yugoslavia.
We don't sanction Russia. The Russians are not disarmed.

Kyle Bateman wrote the following allegory for the October 1999 Reagan
Monitor:

Once upon a time, there was a group of people who lived and worked together
in an organized society. Like any group, they occasionally had their
differences. But they had developed an effective way to settle these
differences. The parties to the disagreement would simply engage in a fist
fight. The winner would get what he wanted and the loser would be left to
make do some other way.
This was terribly difficult for the small and weak. Technically, they were
free like any other person, but the reality, they lived in constant fear that
someone larger or stronger would simply take from them all they had worked
for and leave them with nothing. So a ruling class of "the strong" existed
which dominated the society for many years.

Over the course of time, an instrument was eventually developed that allowed
the weak to compete with the strong. This "great equalizer" was very
powerful. It was capable of causing severe pain and even destroying life and
property. It could be wielded by the weak and yet, when triggered, could
bring even the strongest man into submission.

So the people began to use the equalizer to do wonderful things. It was used
by te police to bring criminals to justice. It was also used by the weak to
protect their lives and property from the strong.

But unfortunately, the equalizer was like any source of power - it could also
be used to do bad things. Just as many strong people had abused their
strength to take unfair advantage of the weak, those who wielded the
equalizer had the ability to abuse others. It required money and some degree
of skill to operate, so it was more accessible to those who were rich or who
took the extra time required to become proficient in its use.

But the equalizer was much more available to the common person than brute
strength had been under the old system, so most people considered themselves
happier and more free than they had been before (especially the smaller
people).

The Equalizer

So what is this device? What is this instrument of force which we wield
against our neighbor to bring him into submission? Is it the sword, the gun,
the bomb? No, it is simply an attorney operating in the context of the law.

Like the sword and the gun, a lawyer is a weapon, or an instrument of force,
which can be used to empower the weak against the strong. And the law is the
critical framework that allows this force to be applied in an organized and
orderly manner.

Just like a sword, an attorney may be used for good or for evil. The morality
of his work should not be defined by its legality. Rather, it should be
judged by its net effect on humanity. As a society, we have forgotten that
what is legal is not necessarily right.

There is no fundamental difference between using a lawyer to forcefully take
money from a person or a company, and taking money from a person at
gun-point. Both are acts of force and must be regarded with solemn and
careful thought before they are carried out. Are we truly justified in a
particular legal action against a person or company? Or are we simply
motivated by pride, vengeance, or the prospect of a profitable return? If it
is any of the latter, our actions gradually break down the bonds of our
social fabric, creating the kind of moral decay we presently see around us.

Today we see young children enter a school armed with deadly weapons simply
to satisfy petty, angry feelings against their school mates. They take no
thought for the consequences of their actions. They only wish to appease
their own carnal cowardly desires. But is it any wonder that these children
behave so badly when they see their adult peers legitimized as they commit
analogous acts of destruction against their neighbors, relentlessly suing one
another over every trivial issue under the sun?

Conclusion

We need to understand that this is not a problem of too many guns or too many
lawyers. It is a problem of people who use force as the first method of
choice to get what they want and forget about what others may want.

Without somone pulling the trigger, a gun would never kill a person. Without
someone hiring an attorney, a lawsuit would never ruin a life or a company.

"Lawyers don't sue people. People sue people."

It is time we recognize the consequences of our actions. When we use force to
take wealth or property from another person, this is an act of violence. Our
particular choice of weapon will never change that fact. Violence does not
exist in a gun any more than it exists in an attorney. It exists in the heart
of a person. When a person seeks to take the life, the rights or the property
of another person, he has violence in his heart.

It is time we ended the violence. But we can not accomplish this by
legislating guns away. We can not make knives illegal. We can not make a law
against being strong or powerful. None of these will do any more good than
making attorneys illegal. Who would ultimately enforce such a law?

These instruments of force are necessary to maintain our society. They must
exist and be accessible to all in order to keep us all honest, equal and
free.

It is up to individual people to see that they are used as little as
possible.

In the course of the interview, Bateman made the following observations:

1. The legitimate use of firearms is as an equalizer - to protect the weak
from the strong.
2. Making gun-free zones in just an invitation to kooks. Nobody needs to know
how many guns are in a school. Let the criminal element wonder. Let them
scratch their head and wonder if a teacher does, or doesn't, or if a
principal does or doesn't have a gun.

3. You cannot use a law to regulate the people who don't obey laws. No! The
only thing you can use to regulate the people who don't obey the law is
force.

4. We need to use law enforcement, not laws, to regulate people who won't
obey the law. The laws are there. Just enforce them. That's the only thing
that will stop people who break the laws.

5. If you want to live under a litany of laws which try to take away the
means by which you can commit a crime, try communism. In America we don't
believe in preventing law-breakers. We believe in punishing law-breakers.
This is the price we pay for living in a free society.

6. The price we pay for freedom is that there has to be a crime BEFORE we
punish people. That is the price we pay for living in a free society.

There already are bills in Congress, such as the recently introduced and
passed Schumer Amendement to the Bankruptcy bill, which create laws that
punish people for THINKING about such things as opposing abortion clinics.
This is a departure from the U.S. Constitution.

Unilateral disarmament was urged during the 1960s for America for nuclear
weapons. It was wisely rejected. Although I worked for a nuclear test ban
treaty in the 1960s, I worked just as energetically against the notion of
unilaterally disarming America by destroying our nuclear weapons. I did not
want to live in a world where the ONLY nation that owned nuclear weapons was
Communist USSR.

Today in Congress there is a very strong move, pushed by the President of the
United States, to unilaterally disarm the American people who would then be
at the mercy of the lawless element in our society - which seems to become
more aggressive with each unilateral disarmament which we now call "gun free
zones" and "gun control laws."

If people are actually serious about stopping the recent wave of school
shootings, the fastest way to do it is to stop the unilateral disarming of
principals and teachers.

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,