>>> Here we pay those folks in HollyWeird all this money to watch their 'works
of art' (actually to pay their therapy {after they're all partied out} bills)
(therapists are pricey) and, now, it seems as though they can't even afford a
decent history book.  Now, untold numbers of American kids will go to the flix
and see how the war wasn't won.  Now, was *Saving Private Ryan* really about
some soldier in the Ukraine, Americanised for the benefit of padding
HollyWeird's bank accounts?  Bill Jeff feels some Britlander pain.  A<>E<>R <<<

Source for WW2 cryptography:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~griffith/crypto.htm

>From http://www.newswatch.org/index.html

{{<Begin>}}
 History Down The Tubes - It was arguably one of the greatest intelligence
victories in the history of warfare, one that significantly altered the course
of World War II, and saved thousands of Allied lives; but this weekend, movie-
goers will sail forth with the crew of U-571 into a hoary Hollywood sea shanty
that has British navy veterans and their relatives seething.

Hollywood would have audiences believe that the U.S. Navy launched a daring
raid to capture an Enigma code machine from a German submarine in the Atlantic
in 1942, when, in fact, the feat was accomplished twice by the British Navy.
The first time in 1941 by HMS Aubretia and HMS Bulldog; the second in 1942 by
the impromptu action of three British sailors from HMS Petard - one of them
just 16-years old - in the Mediterranean. (The kid was the only one to make it
off the sinking submarine with the codebooks to an updated Enigma code - the
Brits had already cracked the older version)

So, in the higher service of drama,  Hollywood torpedoes historical fact yet
again. "I understand your desire to see the role of the Royal  Navy and the HMS
Aubretia acknowledged," wrote President Clinton in response to complaints from
a British politician last year. "The Royal Navy's capture of U110 and the
recovery of its Enigma coding machine was of momentous importance to the course
of the war... As you know, Universal Studios has stated that the film is not
intended to be an accurate portrayal of historical events."

But who among the nation's leading film critics warns readers of this fakery -
as the movie ultimately does  in the credits?  Full marks to The Wall Street
Journal's  Joe Morgenstern while The Christian Science Monitor The Chicago
Tribune and The Los Angeles Times come a distant second for half-hearted
historical corrections. Thumbs down to all the history duffers at The Atlanta
Journal, The Boston Globe, The New York Times, The Washington Post and USA
Today.
{{<End>}}

>>>Credit where credit is due <<<

>From http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/entertainment/newsid_286000/286134.stm

{{<Begin>}}
BBC News Online: Entertainment

Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health |
Education | Sport | Entertainment | Talking Point | High Graphics | Feedback |
Help | Noticias | Newyddion |

Thursday, February 25, 1999 Published at 14:05 GMT
Hollywood hijacks history
Hollywood is rewriting World War II history - casting Americans and not the
British as heroes.

Universal Studios is making a World War II film about a bunch of Americans who
captured Hitler's Enigma machine and subsequently broke the Nazi codes.
The film has raised more than a few hackles in Britain - because the capture of
the machine was in fact made by the British Navy - and it was British experts
that cracked the codes at the top-secret Bletchley Park base in
Buckinghamshire.

Their work led to the deciphering of German navy messages and helped to save
many British convoys.

'Based on real events'

The $55m Hollywood production, expected to star Harvey Keitel and Jon Bon Jovi,
is also considering switching the action from the mid-Atlantic to the
Mediterranean. The studio said it won't promote the film as fact but will
instead say it is based on real events.

The Royal Navy said it is not surprised by the Hollywood plans. "It is
unfortunate, but it is not the first time, and I am sure it will not be the
last, that Hollywood has distorted history."

The recent World War II blockbuster Saving Private Ryan angered some British
veterans because the film only showed Americans in northern France.
'Typical American approach'

Captain Joe Baker-Cresswell was the wartime commander of the Royal Navy
destroyer HMS Bulldog which seized the machine from a German U-boat in May
1941.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme his son Charles Baker-Cresswell said
he was disappointed by the film.

"It's a typical American approach. We've seen this time and time again."

Back in 1941 the submarine that was carrying the enigma machine had already
sunk two ships from the convoy the Bulldog was accompanying, when depth charges
forced it to the surface.

Luckily Captain Baker-Cresswell decided to board the submarine before sinking
it - an action he later described as a "whim".

The crew found vital code books which the German crew had not had time to
destroy. They listed the top secret codes the Germans were to use for the next
four months of the war.

Charles Baker-Cresswell said of his father's discovery: "As soon as they got
the stuff on board he realised he had something pretty rare."

{{<End>}}

>From http://uboat.net/fates/captured.htm

>>> Americans capturing the U-Boat with the Enigma machine 7 (seven) months
before Hitler declared war on the U.S. (a week after the Japanese went duck
hunting) ?  A<>E<>R <<<

{{<Begin>}}
U-110 "The Secret Capture"
May 9, 1941. This is what most people view as the most important capture of the
entire war and it was so secret that even the crew of U-110 did not know of it!
U-110 (on its second patrol under the command of Kptlt Fritz Julius Lemp) had
been attacking a convoy along with U-201 (Oblt Adalbert Schnee) when Lemp left
his periscope up too long (probably to confirm a kill, he sank two ships on
that day amounting to 7500 GRT) and the escort HMS Aubretia noticed it and
rushed to the scene dropping depth charges.

U-110 survived the first attacks but then HMS Bulldog and HMS Broadway came and
join in the hunt. U-110 was forced to surface and HMS Bulldog immediately went
onto ramming course (its commander realized at the very last moment that a
capture might come off and tried to evade hitting U-110 which he almost did)
which Lemp noticed and ordered "Abandon Ship". Lemp figured that since the boat
was going to be rammed (and presumably sunk) its secrets were safe within it.
Only when he was in the water did he realize that the boat was not sinking and
attempted to swim back and prevent capture and that was the last seen of him.
Many say he was shot in the water by a British sailor but that may not be at
all true.

The British made several journeys between U-110 and HMS Bulldog to collect
whatever they could get their hands on inside the boat. This must have been a
real treat as U-110 was abandoned in a hurry and being a IXB class she did not
sink as rapidly as VIIC would likely have done. It is very likely that numerous
U-boats were sunk using the material found inside U-110.

The day after the boat was captured someone realized that the allies already
had the most important part of U-110, namely the secret documents and Enigma
machine and that the Germans might find out that the British had the boat soon
and, assuming the worst, change all codes and cipher system. The boat
"accidentally" sank when being towed to Britain. 15 men were killed in the
action and 32 captured. Lemp himself did not survive as noted above.

{{<End>}}

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers." Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters