Jury Flips Coin To Decide Case

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Jurors who couldn't decide whether to convict a man of
murder or manslaughter in the shooting death of his girlfriend flipped a coin
and found him guilty of murder. However, the judge declared a mistrial after
finding out about the coin toss.

Phillip J. Givens II, 28, would have faced life in prison if convicted of
murder in the death of Monica Briggs, 29, last May. A new trial was scheduled
for Sept. 12.

The jury of five men and seven women deliberated about nine hours over two
days last week before issuing the verdict Friday.

Jury foreman David Melton told The Courier-Journal for today's editions the
jurors decided to flip a silver dollar to avoid a hung jury. Because all
agreed on the coin toss, they thought it was legal, he said.

``Realistically, I didn't think we had anything to lose,'' Melton said. ``We
were going to be hung without it.''

But when the jurors returned to court Monday to recommend a sentence,
Jefferson Circuit Judge Kenneth Conliffe ordered a new trial after telling
Melton he had heard about the coin toss, and Melton confirmed that it
happened.

Brian Butler, one of the prosecutors in the case, said one of the jurors
apparently told someone about the coin toss, and that person told a Jefferson
County court employee. The court employee told a judge, who brought it to
Conliffe's attention, Butler said.

Three of the jurors declined to comment to the newspaper. The others could
not be reached by the newspaper.

Conliffe also declined to be interviewed.

Givens' lawyer, Mark Chandler, said it's ``scary'' to think that 12 people
would decide to flip a coin to reach a verdict, especially in a murder case.

``It kind of blows your mind,'' he said. ``I think they had a lapse in
judgment, and I'd like to think it doesn't go on very often.''